The Student Room Group

Was this overtake bad?

So today I was on a national bit of road, it's fairly windy but it has some long-ish straight bits. There was a car in front of me doing 35-40 all the way and I was getting sick of it sitting behind them, so I decided to overtake on a long straight that I knew was coming up. When it was seemingly clear I indicated right and put my foot down, about halfway through the overtake a van came the way, luckily, I managed to tuck back in before anything bad happened. I noticed the car that I overtook had a dashcam, I'm slightly worried in case they decide to report this as dangerous driving. I admit there was a corner at the end of the straight but it was a fairly wide corner, also, I did have to go over the speed limit a tiny bit so I could get back in safely.

Do you think anything will come of this? It was an honest misjudgment, I see people pull off overtakes all the time, and the one time I do it another car comes. This is why I never usually overtake other cars, just cyclists.
No they'll prob just think you were a bit of an idiot. Don't initiate an overtake until you're sure what's ahead of you so extra care around bends and crests of hills to avoid surprises, and bear in mind that the vehicle you are overtaking can easily cut you off by slowing or speeding up.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
No they'll prob just think you were a bit of an idiot. Don't initiate an overtake until you're sure what's ahead of you so extra care around bends and crests of hills to avoid surprises, and bear in mind that the vehicle you are overtaking can easily cut you off by slowing or speeding up.
Yeah, My main aim was to tuck back in ASAP. if there hadn't been anything coming I would've been more careful about not cutting them off or anything, which I don't think I did but I'm unsure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending