The Student Room Group

Is my family toxic

i am a young teen
i always feel so tensed when I with my dad , he has anger issues and the most recent event - one day on new year , I went to my uncles house with family and my uncle gave me some snacks and I ate it and my dad after he came home he said "you looked like you went aboard with all the snacks you ate , people will think you are starved at home" and before that he told that he told me "you better study , you are not like the white kids here , they are white they can stay here and get any job , unlike us who are not white" , because i only got a grade 8 in my history mock , back to the food thing , i started crying cause i had enough and told him "i am never enough for you and you always find mistakes" , he started beating me and i said please don't do it and he didn't stop even my mum said stop and i left with tremors from crying and then he said sorry and he didn't mean it .................my mom-always tell me how ugly i am , how dark i am , how i am short , how i am fat , how my face looks bad all the time

i know telling all this makes them look like toxic but they love me
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
i am a young teen
i always feel so tensed when I with my dad , he has anger issues and the most recent event - one day on new year , I went to my uncles house with family and my uncle gave me some snacks and I ate it and my dad after he came home he said "you looked like you went aboard with all the snacks you ate , people will think you are starved at home" and before that he told that he told me "you better study , you are not like the white kids here , they are white they can stay here and get any job , unlike us who are not white" , because i only got a grade 8 in my history mock , back to the food thing , i started crying cause i had enough and told him "i am never enough for you and you always find mistakes" , he started beating me and i said please don't do it and he didn't stop even my mum said stop and i left with tremors from crying and then he said sorry and he didn't mean it .................my mom-always tell me how ugly i am , how dark i am , how i am short , how i am fat , how my face looks bad all the time

but i love my mom more , she lets me do whatever I want
Reply 2
i am a young teen

I think for now you have to express to your parents the way you are feeling, by letter or by saying it and if they continue the behaviour and you feel in danger in the environment of your home then maybe contact child protection services.
Hope this helps x
i am a young teen

I mean, I was rasied by 2nd generation Asian parents - the comparisons and competitiveness within the family, especially by my grandparents was very prominent.

I believe its an issue like this - where your parents are burdening you with goals and expectations that you may not want to carry. I think its a cultural thing.

Assuming you are in the UK - I would go about seeking help from your school and/or child protective services. Abuse of any kind is not okay. Physical abuse especially so.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
I mean, I was rasied by 2nd generation Asian parents - the comparisons and competitiveness within the family, especially by my grandparents was very prominent.

I believe its an issue like this - where your parents are burdening you with goals and expectations that you may not want to carry. I think its a cultural thing.

Assuming you are in the UK - I would go about seeking help from your school and/or child protective services. Abuse of any kind is not okay. Physical abuse especially so.

i am indeed asian

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending