The Student Room Group

Vaccinations for Thailand

I’m planning on going to Phuket next month (I haven’t booked yet), but I want to know about vaccinations. I want to go for 2 weeks. I last had my diphtheria and tetanus when I was 15 ( I’m now 23) and I’ve had around 3 in my life I believe…same for MPR, etc. I’ve had all of the basic vaccinations that most children are offered, but do I need top ups? I haven’t had the Hep A or Hep B vaccination, though. I’ve got a travel appointment tomorrow, but I don’t know how long it’ll all take and I ideally want to go away in a month. Any advice? Also, you don’t need a travel visa for 2 weeks with a stop off in Hong Kong? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by elladh9
I’m planning on going to Phuket next month (I haven’t booked yet), but I want to know about vaccinations. I want to go for 2 weeks. I last had my diphtheria and tetanus when I was 15 ( I’m now 23) and I’ve had around 3 in my life I believe…same for MPR, etc. I’ve had all of the basic vaccinations that most children are offered, but do I need top ups? I haven’t had the Hep A or Hep B vaccination, though. I’ve got a travel appointment tomorrow, but I don’t know how long it’ll all take and I ideally want to go away in a month. Any advice? Also, you don’t need a travel visa for 2 weeks with a stop off in Hong Kong? Thanks

Hi! I went to Phuket last year (as well as a week in Phetchaburi for volunteering, which was working with animals in the jungle), and I didn't need any, even with the volunteering. The hepatitis B is really for if you're planning on getting any tattoos (according to my gp at least). I'm not sure how long the tetanus vaccine lasts, so there's the possible chance you'll need a top up of that, but you should be okay with most of them.

I can't help with the Hong Kong part unfortunately, but hopefully this helps a bit

Have a good trip :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, I've never been to Thailand but I'm Vietnamese.

I wouldn't stress so much. I've lived in Vietnam for the first 5 years in my life and I regularly return there every year for a month. I've never had any mosquito disease. Moreover most mosquito diseases are not really dangerous. In fact I would go far as to say that the media is painting an unrealistic picture of these places as disease ridden dangerous countries. Just an opinion though.

Really the best way to protect yourself is to not overwork. It's hot and humid there. Spend about one in three days relaxing for the first few weeks. Over exerting your body makes your immune system weak. In fact, get used to the customs local people use to cope with the heat (opening windows during mornings, sleeping during the days etc.)

My advice is first research on how the health system works, as well as symptoms of common diseases in the region. Exercise common sense i.e if a region has a Malaria outbreak then stay away. Stay wary of symptoms. If symptoms then I'm basically out of my depth because that has never happened to me... This is what the government has to say about it: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-and-medical-services-in-thailand I would say though that make sure you check for symptoms after you come back to the UK.

You're much more at risk of a road accident. Theft could be common if you're white, you look lost or keep all of your money in a specific pocket. Mosquito nets are highly recommended while you sleep, and if you're really worried I would recommend mosquito spray. It's good 90% of the time. Must need for mountainous regions. Also don't go if you're pregnant. Zika is probably the most common because it's relatively harmless unless you're pregnant.

This is advice coming from a 17 year old so you know... I dunno everything. Either way, I hope you have a nice trip!
Reply 3
Original post by r0na
Hi! I went to Phuket last year (as well as a week in Phetchaburi for volunteering, which was working with animals in the jungle), and I didn't need any, even with the volunteering. The hepatitis B is really for if you're planning on getting any tattoos (according to my gp at least). I'm not sure how long the tetanus vaccine lasts, so there's the possible chance you'll need a top up of that, but you should be okay with most of them.

I can't help with the Hong Kong part unfortunately, but hopefully this helps a bit

Have a good trip :smile:

Hi :smile: Thank you so much! I’ll let you know how it goes ha ha
Reply 4
Original post by Saidist
Hey, I've never been to Thailand but I'm Vietnamese.

I wouldn't stress so much. I've lived in Vietnam for the first 5 years in my life and I regularly return there every year for a month. I've never had any mosquito disease. Moreover most mosquito diseases are not really dangerous. In fact I would go far as to say that the media is painting an unrealistic picture of these places as disease ridden dangerous countries. Just an opinion though.

Really the best way to protect yourself is to not overwork. It's hot and humid there. Spend about one in three days relaxing for the first few weeks. Over exerting your body makes your immune system weak. In fact, get used to the customs local people use to cope with the heat (opening windows during mornings, sleeping during the days etc.)

My advice is first research on how the health system works, as well as symptoms of common diseases in the region. Exercise common sense i.e if a region has a Malaria outbreak then stay away. Stay wary of symptoms. If symptoms then I'm basically out of my depth because that has never happened to me... This is what the government has to say about it: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-and-medical-services-in-thailand I would say though that make sure you check for symptoms after you come back to the UK.

You're much more at risk of a road accident. Theft could be common if you're white, you look lost or keep all of your money in a specific pocket. Mosquito nets are highly recommended while you sleep, and if you're really worried I would recommend mosquito spray. It's good 90% of the time. Must need for mountainous regions. Also don't go if you're pregnant. Zika is probably the most common because it's relatively harmless unless you're pregnant.

This is advice coming from a 17 year old so you know... I dunno everything. Either way, I hope you have a nice trip!

Hello :smile: Thank you so much for your advice! I’m going for an appointment tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll find out more ha ha

Quick Reply

Latest