The Student Room Group

Paper 2 Question 3 Language Question Answer.

Hello, I would like to receive some feedback on my answer and how I could achieve full marks. The question was 'How does the writer use language to describe the surfers and the sea?' (12 Marks)

My answer:
The surfers are described as prideful, jubilant and fearless because of the fact they know how the sea is a ferocious monster. The surfers are seen 'uttering exultant cries' which the oxymoron of rejoicing, yet crying shows how it is a more positive reaction. We also see how the waves are petrifying as we learn the surfers were on the 'verge of engulfment by the fierce breaker.' The use of emotive language by describing them as 'fierce' shows how the sea is opposite the excited surfers, whereas the sea is vicious.

However, the surfers could also be seen as cowardly and failed to judge the menacing-looking sea. We can tell that the surfers are 'daring riders'' but this is quickly juxtaposed when they 'waded quietly' as if trying not to disturb the beast, and 'dived under' trying to hide from the aggressive sea. We are also told that the waves are a 'towering white crest.' The metaphor includes the word 'towering' which suggests a colossal mass of water, the size of towers, leaning over 'head bobbing about like corks.' The simile shows how the surfers are immobilised by such a terrifying sight. This shows how the writer uses language to describe the surfers as impulsive, not thinking about the dangers in the violent sea.
Reply 1
How does writer use language to describe effects of earthquake ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending