The Student Room Group

Can I study and do my day job in the same room?

Hi all,

I am doing part time study and I also work from home. I have a little office where I do my day to day job. I was just wondering what your opinions were on studying in a room I have designated for my day job?
Reply 1
Original post by BusyBeeBen
Hi all,

I am doing part time study and I also work from home. I have a little office where I do my day to day job. I was just wondering what your opinions were on studying in a room I have designated for my day job?

I think it should be fine as long as you can stay focused and don’t allow the stress of your job or study to spill into the other and tar your impression of the space.

For example if you dread your job, you might also dread studying because you associate studying with the same environment as you work in and vice versa. If this is the case, I’d recommend studying elsewhere and to change it up so you don’t feel bored: study in libraries or coffee shops or different places around your home! Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by BusyBeeBen
Hi all,

I can relate to it. I work and study in the same room; and I found it difficult to switch from the work mode to the study mode even after I log off from work.
The issue seemed to be that too many things kept reminding me of work and I kept drifting back. The two things that seem to be working for me are:
[1] I use two different lights in the room - normal white LED light strip when I am working; and the warm-yellow LEDs when I am studying or relaxing. After a week or so, my body seemed to automatically realise the work time is over!
[2] I also use two user accounts on my laptop, with two different wall-papers. I make it a point to log out from the work profile and log into the personal profile, where I cannot see all the work related files and folders.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending