The Student Room Group

core 1 coordinate geometry help!!!

cn anyone plz help how to work out the following qs:
1. A(-1,-2) B(7,2) and C(k,4), where k is constant, are the vertices of triangle ABC.
Angle ABC is a right angle. the gradient of AB is 1/2x
a) calculate the value of k

I hv no clue :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by shana_t
1. A(-1,-2) B(7,2) and C(k,4), where k is constant, are the vertices of triangle ABC.

The gradient of AB = 1/2.

AB is perpendicular to BC.

What is the gradient of BC?

How are the gradients related?
Reply 2
My way may not be the best but it seems to work for this question:

The gradient of AB= 1/2 and you said that it is a right angle triangle so you do the perpendicular so m2= -2

i used the coordinates B(7,2) and C(K,4)

made an equation 4-2/k-7=-2(gradient)
rearrange:
2=-2(k-7) 2=-2K+14 2K=12 K=6

Hope that is explained well. :smile:
Reply 3
thnx for ur help, I got it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by shana_t

As we have a right angle triangle, AB and BC perpendicular to one another. You have the gradient of AB as 1/2. You can work out the gradient of the perpendicular as 1/2 X m=-1 so m=-2 Now you know that the perpendicular to AB which is BC is a line with gradient -2. The equation of AC needs to be worked out. This is because you need the x value (k) at which y=4. You know that AC has gradient -2 and passes through point A, whose coordinates you already have as (-1, -2) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
sorry again, I got stuck on this qs too:

the straight line l1 passes through the points A and B with coordinates (0,-2) and (6,7)
the equation of l1 is y=3/2x-2
another straight line l2 with equation x+y=8 cuts the y-axis at point . The lines l1 and l2 intersect at point D (4,4)
calculate the area of triangle ACD
Reply 6
Original post by krisshP
As we have a right angle triangle, AB and AC are perpendicular to one another. You have the gradient of AB as 1/2. You can work out the gradient of the perpendicular as 1/2 X m=-1 so m=-2 Now you know that the perpendicular to AB which is AC is a line with gradient -2. The equation of AC needs to be worked out. This is because you need the x value (k) at which y=4. You know that AC has gradient -2 and passes through point A, whose coordinates you already have as (-1, -2) :smile:

Angle ABC is the right angle meaning it is angle B not A so AB and BC are perpendicular
Reply 7
Angle C cuts the y axis meaning x=0 y+0=8 y=8

A= (0,-2)
C= (0,8)
D=(4,4)

AREA= BASE TIME HEIGHT/ 2

Base= 10
Height=4

40/2 = 20
Reply 8
Original post by simonb451
Angle C cuts the y axis meaning x=0 y+0=8 y=8

A= (0,-2)
C= (0,8)
D=(4,4)

AREA= BASE TIME HEIGHT/ 2

Base= 10
Height=4

40/2 = 20

thnxx a lot :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by shana_t
thnxx a lot :smile:

Thats fine- are you teaching yourself AS maths?
Reply 10
Thats fine- are you teaching yourself AS maths?

yep, preparing for A level maths, gona start it from this september
Reply 11
Original post by shana_t
yep, preparing for A level maths, gona start it from this september

C1 and C2 are pretty good- Its S1 that most people seem to struggle with
Reply 12
C1 and C2 are pretty good- Its S1 that most people seem to struggle with

ohh, my school does C1, C2 and D1. Wt about D1??
Reply 13
Original post by shana_t
ohh, my school does C1, C2 and D1. Wt about D1??

Oh we do D1 at A2, it sounds easy from what ive heard- the only tricky area of AS core was probably trig as it does take a while to get your head around sometimes
Reply 14
Oh we do D1 at A2, it sounds easy from what ive heard- the only tricky area of AS core was probably trig as it does take a while to get your head around sometimes

oh okey
Reply 15
does anyone know how to work out this qs:
the straight line l passes through A(1, 3√3) and B (2+√3,3+4√3)
the gradient of l is √3
give the equation of l in the form of y=mx+c, where constants m and c are surds given in their simplest form.
Reply 16
You can use yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1) or rearrange y=mx+cy=mx+c to get c=ymxc=y-mx.

Using the first option you will have y33=3(x1)y-3\sqrt{3}=\sqrt{3}(x-1) which you will need to rearrange.

With the second option c=333×1c=3\sqrt{3} -\sqrt{3}\times 1.
Reply 17
Original post by BabyMaths
You can use yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1) or rearrange y=mx+cy=mx+c to get c=ymxc=y-mx.

Using the first option you will have y33=3(x1)y-3\sqrt{3}=\sqrt{3}(x-1) which you will need to rearrange.

With the second option c=333×1c=3\sqrt{3} -\sqrt{3}\times 1.

the answer is y=√3x+2√3, I still don't get it
Reply 18
Original post by shana_t

You have two points A(1,33),B(2+3,3+43)A(1, 3\sqrt3), B (2+\sqrt3,3+4\sqrt3) You've being told that the gradient of the line l which passes through these two points is m=3m=\sqrt{3}

Now the equation of a line is given by the formula yy1=m(xx1)y-y_{1}=m(x-x_{1}) This means that you can substitute any of the coordinates from either point to get the equation of l, so lets label A as the point A(x1,y1)A(x_{1},y_{1}) well from the question x1=1x_{1}=1 and y1=33y_{1}=3\sqrt3 for the coordinates of A correct?

Substitute these into the formula along with m, expand and rearrange into the form y=mx+cy=mx+c
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by shana_t

Here's a simpler example. A line with gradient 2 passes through the point (4,9). Find the equation of the line in the form y=mx+cy=mx+c

You already know the equation is y=2x+cy=2x+c and you know that y=9y=9 when x=4x=4.

You can use those values to find the value of c.

9=2×4+c9=2 \times 4 + c

c=1c=1

y=2x+1y=2x+1

Quick Reply

Latest