The Student Room Group

Wrong subject choice at A-level to study history

My whole family have wanted me to do medicine so I took 3 science subjects and Latin at AS. Unfortunately I really do not want to do medicine or anything science related. I've always enjoyed History and universities such as Oxford, Exeter and Leicester say it's not compulsory to do History at A-level to apply however I am wondering whether anyone has actually applied for history without the A-levels and gotten an offer or what you would do in my situation. I can apply for Classics but I don't feel like that is what I want to study for 3/4 years.
Reply 1
It would probably be more difficult for you to describe how much you love history in an interview at Oxford if you haven't studied it (or anything related to it) at A Level. It would also be harder to write a relevant personal statement but not impossible. Don't ever apply for something you don't want to do though :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by spocklock
My whole family have wanted me to do medicine so I took 3 science subjects and Latin at AS. Unfortunately I really do not want to do medicine or anything science related. I've always enjoyed History and universities such as Oxford, Exeter and Leicester say it's not compulsory to do History at A-level to apply however I am wondering whether anyone has actually applied for history without the A-levels and gotten an offer or what you would do in my situation. I can apply for Classics but I don't feel like that is what I want to study for 3/4 years.

Maybe you could take up History AS Level next year so at least you'll have studied some History before university. And convey your knowledge of History in your PS through any books or History magazines or programmes.
Just write a damn fine personal statement mate.
I got offers from RG uni's to study single hons history without taking it at a-level.
Degree-level history is a big step up from A level history, so they're more interest in your potential than your knowledge. The key things to show are critical thought, the capacity to argue, and the level of interest that will get you through the books. A good personal statement, going into specific things which you find interesting and your opinions about them (perhaps mentioning how you've reacted to other historians' arguments about the topic) will be very helpful. You have the potential to offer a slightly different statement to the normal one, given that you should have strong analytical abilities from science subjects. Don't worry about having to do the generic EH Carr and Richard Evans historiographical stuff, because it's boring and admissions tutors know it; focus on whatever period/ figure from history you like and assess the arguments around it.

Incidentally, one of my friends, also reading history at Cambridge, did Further Maths, Biology and history at A level; science-oriented people can bring a lot to the table

Best of luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi

Incidentally, one of my friends, also reading history at Cambridge, did Further Maths, Biology and history at A level; science-oriented people can bring a lot to the table

!

THIS is it exactly! Although it would make sense to study History at A Level to get a 'feel' for the subject it is not the end of the world if you come into it from a different direction. Historical pursuit requires logic, problem solving skills, and an eye for analysis. Clearly you have that, coming from a scientific background. Read widely and work out what period of History you find the most interesting and who them your potential to be a great candidate. Really and truly, admissions tutors are looking for 'teachability'. They don't want someone who knows everything already. Who gains anything from that? And as someone said before, History at degree level and History at A Level are very different.

Bring your A Game.

Good luck!
I took 3 science subjects and a language (German) for AS too. I realised I actually wanted to study history/ancient history in about June of AS year and convinced my school to let me take history A level in a year. It was a lot of work and my timetable was a mess but it was doable and I ended up with an A (with 100% in one exam) and got into my first choice uni.

What I'm getting at is, don't give up hope. Your school might not let you or they might take a lot of convincing but that is one route you could do if you feel that would strengthen your application.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ryanhones
THIS is it exactly! Although it would make sense to study History at A Level to get a 'feel' for the subject it is not the end of the world if you come into it from a different direction. Historical pursuit requires logic, problem solving skills, and an eye for analysis. Clearly you have that, coming from a scientific background. Read widely and work out what period of History you find the most interesting and who them your potential to be a great candidate. Really and truly, admissions tutors are looking for 'teachability'. They don't want someone who knows everything already. Who gains anything from that? And as someone said before, History at degree level and History at A Level are very different.

Bring your A Game.

Good luck!

All great advice; one thing I'd add is to really focus on the skills which you may not have developed so much with the science focus such as textual analysis, which is obviously important in looking at documentary evidence. From what I remember, the A2 latin course is particularly useful, especially the poetry (assuming that you're doing OCR), in making connections between texts
Yes, some Unis dont insist on History A level but you will have to explain clearly and carefully WHY you didn't do History at A level and give a convincing case for your interest in History as a subject without this.

PS. Some RG and other 'good' Unis insist on History at A level - it might be worth you thinking about taking an extra A level year after finishing school to do History A level in one year to get over this.
Reply 9
A lot of universities have no required subjects at A level for humanities subjects (I think) and plus if you get good grades and do well if they have an admissions test like the HAT then this demonstrates your essay writing abilities. You could also enter essay writing competitions and things like that to reinforce this :smile:

From the Cambridge Website (for example)

There is no single combination of subjects that is especially good for students wishing to study History. It is highly desirable, but not essential, for you to be taking History A Level (or equivalent). Successful applicants take all sorts of subjects from Mathematics and the sciences, to arts and social sciences. All of these teach skills that can be useful to the undergraduate historian.
When they say 'highly desirable' they mean it.

You will be at the back of the queue without it and unless you can REALLY impress at interview (assuming you are offered one) the folk who are taking History will be ahead of you at every turn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending