The Student Room Group

A level subject combination

I am planning to do Maths, Economics, Business Studies and English Language for A levels. I wish to major in Economics at a university in the US. However, I have been thinking about whether this combo will be accepted or not and whether or not Business and Economics will be counted as separate subjects.
Reply 1
Original post by TheBroWhoHelps
I am planning to do Maths, Economics, Business Studies and English Language for A levels. I wish to major in Economics at a university in the US. However, I have been thinking about whether this combo will be accepted or not and whether or not Business and Economics will be counted as separate subjects.

Don’t do economics and business studies together. There is too much of an overlap so it is not liked by many unis e.g LSE that specify that it is not recommend.
Reply 2
Hey,
At A-levels, Business and Econ are seen as 2 separate subjects, but taking them together is not usually recommended. Content-wise, they are similar to some degree, so some teachers have said that it may be easy to confuse Econ content with business content.

Considering that you want to do Econ at uni, then business is not necessary at all. Also, doing 4 A-levels is considerably harder than doing 3, and most of the time unnecessary (since you only need 3 for any uni). It is better to focus more time on doing 3 A-levels to a better level than doing 4 and possibly compromising your grades.
Original post by lalexm
Don’t do economics and business studies together. There is too much of an overlap so it is not liked by many unis e.g LSE that specify that it is not recommend.

Except for LSE, are there any other noteworthy universities that do the same? And are universities in the US similar in this approach?
Original post by alikhan.zz
Hey,
At A-levels, Business and Econ are seen as 2 separate subjects, but taking them together is not usually recommended. Content-wise, they are similar to some degree, so some teachers have said that it may be easy to confuse Econ content with business content.

Considering that you want to do Econ at uni, then business is not necessary at all. Also, doing 4 A-levels is considerably harder than doing 3, and most of the time unnecessary (since you only need 3 for any uni). It is better to focus more time on doing 3 A-levels to a better level than doing 4 and possibly compromising your grades.

The major dilemma I'm facing with Business is that firstly, I like the subject quite a bit, I took it in my GCSEs, and I'm good at it. Dropping it to me feels like removing another passion I had for studying (for context I also took History in my GCSEs, which I really enjoyed, but cannot take it for A levels because my new school doesn't offer it)

I 100% agree with the 3 A-level subjects are better than 4 subject part but I thought English Language could help me competitively for uni applications (correct me if I'm wrong). If 4 subjects get too difficult to maintain then I'll drop one in AS level.
Reply 5
Original post by TheBroWhoHelps
Except for LSE, are there any other noteworthy universities that do the same? And are universities in the US similar in this approach?

There are a free that think it is too narrow as per https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/are-certain-a-level-combinations-too-narrow

Don’t know about US unis.

Quick Reply

Latest