The Student Room Group

A-level Options

Hey,I’m looking for some advice on A-level options.I’m hoping to study law at university but for my A-levels I am considering taking English Language,Biology and Chemistry.My school hasn’t really offered any advice on choices despite the fact that we are to choose in February.So,anyone who is studying/plans to study law at uni,would these A-levels be appropriate?
Original post by user6383262
Hey,I’m looking for some advice on A-level options.I’m hoping to study law at university but for my A-levels I am considering taking English Language,Biology and Chemistry.My school hasn’t really offered any advice on choices despite the fact that we are to choose in February.So,anyone who is studying/plans to study law at uni,would these A-levels be appropriate?

I'm not planning on studying law but it might be a good idea to look at the courses offered on different uni websites as they usually state which a levels they require and at what grades as well as course overviews. I would also pick a levels that you think will interest you as you don't want to be in a course you don't like for the next 2 years.
I know lots of people wanting to study law, and most of them have another essay based subject like Sociology/ Politics and History.
Reply 3

Hi my cousin currently does law,

Like the others said check unis and see what they want for subjects. My cousins took English Lit, law and economics I'm pretty sure

You don't have to follow the exact but they usually want an essay based subject/ humanities maybe? Correct me if I'm wrong x

Economics is really good for law if you plan to do financial law in some sense in the future xx

You could use informed choices who let you see what degrees you could potentially do with the subject choices you have.

Hope this helps x

Hi there, I am a third year law student :smile:. Most Universities will accept those A levels, what they look at is what grades you achieve in them. I would recommend checking out specific Universities that you are interested in and their entry requirements just to be safe though. :biggrin:

I studied Biology & Chemistry for A levels, I found them to be quite a large jump from GCSEs, many students in my year struggled with them. For a law degree, the higher your A level grades, the better chance of getting into a good University. So if you are passionate, with good understanding of the topic then it can be a suitable path to choose. (Though so far, these subjects have not come across too helpful in my degree).

I did not take English for A levels, however, as a Law degree involves a lot of essay writing, any subject that could prepare you for this will be helpful. Most students also tend to take English/ History/ Politics which are more essay based.

Overall, pick A levels that you will enjoy and have a chance at getting high grades in. This combined with gaining work experience will help to boost your application.

I hope this help. :biggrin:
Chloe

I am considering law as an option to study in uni. I did do research on subject requirement for law. They do not require anything specific. I personally dont like essay writing subjects so I'm taking maths, physics and economics atm but even I could apply for law. I do recommend you doing well in ur English lang and literature within GCSE's just in case, as there's no entry requirement they would like you to be solid at English.

please do pick subjects you feel confident in though!!!
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there, I am a third year law student :smile:. Most Universities will accept those A levels, what they look at is what grades you achieve in them. I would recommend checking out specific Universities that you are interested in and their entry requirements just to be safe though. :biggrin:

I studied Biology & Chemistry for A levels, I found them to be quite a large jump from GCSEs, many students in my year struggled with them. For a law degree, the higher your A level grades, the better chance of getting into a good University. So if you are passionate, with good understanding of the topic then it can be a suitable path to choose. (Though so far, these subjects have not come across too helpful in my degree).

I did not take English for A levels, however, as a Law degree involves a lot of essay writing, any subject that could prepare you for this will be helpful. Most students also tend to take English/ History/ Politics which are more essay based.

Overall, pick A levels that you will enjoy and have a chance at getting high grades in. This combined with gaining work experience will help to boost your application.

I hope this help. :biggrin:
Chloe

Thank you so much:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Trickia
Hi my cousin currently does law,

Like the others said check unis and see what they want for subjects. My cousins took English Lit, law and economics I'm pretty sure

You don't have to follow the exact but they usually want an essay based subject/ humanities maybe? Correct me if I'm wrong x

Economics is really good for law if you plan to do financial law in some sense in the future xx

You could use informed choices who let you see what degrees you could potentially do with the subject choices you have.

Hope this helps x

Thank you x
Reply 8
Nps xx

Quick Reply

Latest