The Student Room Group

I'm currently doing applications for A-Levels and don't know what subjects to choose.

All my life I've been more of a humanities sided student with decent grades such as a 8-7 in eng lit and lang and a 7 in history with a 6 in sociology but I've been really keen on computer science and mathematics recently. I've told everyone around me including my parents that id like to do law in the future so that's what they're all expecting. My grades in mathematics and sciences aren't great though, all 5's in triple science and a 6 in maths so far so I'm worried that i won't be able to keep up with people around me or even fail my A-levels. Nowadays humanities subjects bore me and I'm not sure if ill have fun with essay-based subjects. Can someone give me advice on the more rational/reasonable idea to go for?
Original post by kazublast
All my life I've been more of a humanities sided student with decent grades such as a 8-7 in eng lit and lang and a 7 in history with a 6 in sociology but I've been really keen on computer science and mathematics recently. I've told everyone around me including my parents that id like to do law in the future so that's what they're all expecting. My grades in mathematics and sciences aren't great though, all 5's in triple science and a 6 in maths so far so I'm worried that i won't be able to keep up with people around me or even fail my A-levels. Nowadays humanities subjects bore me and I'm not sure if ill have fun with essay-based subjects. Can someone give me advice on the more rational/reasonable idea to go for?

If you're unsure, then why not hedge your bets and take a humanity (perhaps History or English Literature), a STEM subject (I'd recommend Mathematics if you potentially want to do Computer Science at university, as many Computer Science degrees ask for it) and something which sits in both camps (perhaps Geography, Psychology or Economics)?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If you're unsure, then why not hedge your bets and take a humanity (perhaps History or English Literature), a STEM subject (I'd recommend Mathematics if you potentially want to do Computer Science at university, as many Computer Science degrees ask for it) and something which sits in both camps (perhaps Geography, Psychology or Economics)?

Yeah, I was considering doing History Psychology and Mathematics after thinking for a while. Thank you!
Yeah, I was considering doing History Psychology and Mathematics after thinking for a while. Thank you!

Sounds like a good combination. :smile:
Reply 4
sorry if this is rude, but i don’t think you should go for maths. most people in maths set are studying further maths gcse, but i dropped it and i’m honestly so glad. it’s supposed to be a sort of bridge between gcse and a level, and our teacher says that anyone who wants to do gcse should definitely do it. i’m aiming for an 8, and i know from seeing their lessons that i could never do it in a million years. i think i wouldn’t do maths gcse unless i was on a 9 in normal maths. maybe one science and two humanities? at the end of the day, even if you enjoy a subject now, you won’t enjoy it if you’re struggling a lot and stressing over it when it gets harder

Hi! Im doing a similar combo at a level, just I take geo instead of history. I would highly recommend maths and psychology!! Maths is one of the most useful subjects (in my opinion) and I am personally finding it easier than gcse maths- mainly because I found that with gcse maths it was more wordy, so a level maths is more similar to gcse further maths (in question style, not difficulty!) which I preferred. I would suggest looking at the content though as it’s not for everyone (which is why a lot of sixth forms will ask for atleast a 7). As for psychology, it is definitely my favourite. There is a lot of content though. If you enjoy psych it makes it so much easier to do well as you actually like revising it. I can’t speak for history, but it would be a solid choice if you were looking at law. I think it comes down to what you enjoy. Those subjects will give you a good range when it comes to uni courses though. :smile:

Why the sudden change and interest in CS and maths - particularly if your grades in STEM subjects are a bit average? Is this a genuine, personal intellectual interest, or is it because you believe (erroneously) that CS will somehow have better employment prospects?
Reply 7
Original post by s006
sorry if this is rude, but i don’t think you should go for maths. most people in maths set are studying further maths gcse, but i dropped it and i’m honestly so glad. it’s supposed to be a sort of bridge between gcse and a level, and our teacher says that anyone who wants to do gcse should definitely do it. i’m aiming for an 8, and i know from seeing their lessons that i could never do it in a million years. i think i wouldn’t do maths gcse unless i was on a 9 in normal maths. maybe one science and two humanities? at the end of the day, even if you enjoy a subject now, you won’t enjoy it if you’re struggling a lot and stressing over it when it gets harder

I’d agree, maybe not necessarily a 9, but at least an 8 in GCSE maths in order to do it at A-level, and have a reasonable chance of getting B or above.

Unless you a very maths inclined, and those that are typically also do FM, Physics, CS etc , it is really difficult. Lots of people get unstuck with maths.
Reply 8
Please do choose maths. My friend really struggled during GCSEs and I think he got a 6 or 7 (during covid so they were predicted) and he got an A in A-Levels. He was finding A-Levels maths difficult at first and wanted to drop out but he carried on and he went on to do amazing - I was genuinely shocked that he didn't get an A* due to how good he became at maths. Just make sure you're going to actually put the work in and make effort to revise properly. If you're going to be lazy, then maybe it's not the right choice to choose maths. I personally found A-Level Maths extremely easy so I don't understand why people are making it out that you need to have 8-9 to do good. If you are currently getting 6s and actually put the work in to revise then getting an A is easy. Hope this helps.

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. Personally, I did four A Levels: maths, further maths, psychology and geography which I found worked surprisingly well together. I know people who chose A Level maths with similar grades to yours and ended up doing amazing at A Level. I think it comes down to you as a person and if you don't get ideas as quickly as those around you will that eventually discourage you so you no longer want to do maths or will that motivate you to work harder? I would like to add I still don't understand circle theorems from GCSE and that's okay, it is just confusing to me so it may be that studying different areas of maths in future is easier for you. Just have a look at A Level maths and see if it interests you so you can see yourself wanting to work at it. Also, talk to the school you plan on doing your A Levels with and what support they have in place. Good luck with your choices! Please feel free to ask me any questions, general university or maths related.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 10
It sounds like you're in a bit of a dilemma. You've always been a humanities student, but you're starting to develop an interest in computer science and mathematics. However, you're worried that you won't be able to keep up with your peers in these subjects, and you're not sure if you'll enjoy them as much as humanities subjects.

It's important to remember that you're still young, and your interests can change over time. It's also important to follow your passion, even if it's not what you've always planned to do. If you're really interested in computer science and mathematics, then you should go for it! You may be surprised at how well you do.

Of course, it's also important to be realistic about your abilities. If you're struggling with mathematics and sciences, then you may need to put in some extra work to catch up. There are plenty of resources available to help you, such as online tutorials, Khan Academy, and tutoring.

Ultimately, the decision of what to study is up to you. But if you're not sure what to do, I would recommend talking to your teachers, parents, and friends. They can offer you some guidance and support.

Here are some things to consider when making your decision:

What are your interests?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
What are your career goals?
What are your financial resources?
What are your family's expectations?
Once you've considered all of these factors, you should be able to make a decision that's right for you.
Reply 11
Hi. Can anyone comment on my A Level subjects combination: Biology, Chem, Math, and Economics.
Is this combination has a very low chance of admission to the Top UK Law School? Do you know if it is "necessary" to have an essay-based subject like Eng Lit / history (although the admission requirement of the Universities doesn't say that)?
Original post by jobb11
Hi. Can anyone comment on my A Level subjects combination: Biology, Chem, Math, and Economics.
Is this combination has a very low chance of admission to the Top UK Law School? Do you know if it is "necessary" to have an essay-based subject like Eng Lit / history (although the admission requirement of the Universities doesn't say that)?

Law degrees don't care what subjects you studied and happily take those with all STEM subjects. Also A-level Economics is an essay based subject anyway.
Original post by Syed100
It sounds like you're in a bit of a dilemma. You've always been a humanities student, but you're starting to develop an interest in computer science and mathematics. However, you're worried that you won't be able to keep up with your peers in these subjects, and you're not sure if you'll enjoy them as much as humanities subjects.

It's important to remember that you're still young, and your interests can change over time. It's also important to follow your passion, even if it's not what you've always planned to do. If you're really interested in computer science and mathematics, then you should go for it! You may be surprised at how well you do.

Of course, it's also important to be realistic about your abilities. If you're struggling with mathematics and sciences, then you may need to put in some extra work to catch up. There are plenty of resources available to help you, such as online tutorials, Khan Academy, and tutoring.

Ultimately, the decision of what to study is up to you. But if you're not sure what to do, I would recommend talking to your teachers, parents, and friends. They can offer you some guidance and support.

Here are some things to consider when making your decision:

What are your interests?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
What are your career goals?
What are your financial resources?
What are your family's expectations?
Once you've considered all of these factors, you should be able to make a decision that's right for you.

Is this from chatgpt?

Ultimately, you need subjects that will keep the most doors open for you. As your only interested in the CS/maths side of stem, maths would be a good option to take and it actually goes pretty well with humanities. History gives you an essay based subject and is a very good option(slightly biased!). English lit seems good for you too as you've got great predicted grades. Don't worry about expectations and whatnot, you've got more than enough time to adjust your goals. And don't worry too much about maths being too hard, perhaps you haven't focused on it so far because you've been inclined towards humanities? Maybe see if you can improve your grade in maths to at least a 7, and you should be fine.
Reply 14

Heya!
I would recommend exploring some courses and looking at their entry requirements. Uniguide also has a cool alvl combo explorer you can use! :h: Law doesn't need specific alvls and CS courses just need maths (and possibly FM), so pick maths as a start and the other 2 can be whatever you enjoy :smile:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 15
Original post by artful_lounger
Law degrees don't care what subjects you studied and happily take those with all STEM subjects. Also A-level Economics is an essay based subject anyway.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Hi there!

I have just graduated from Lancaster University with a Natural Sciences BSc and thought I could give my experience with the degree and leading up to it in GCSE and A level. I would say that you will always benefit by studying subjects that you enjoy/are passionate about. If you were considering history, psychology, and maths, you would have the opportunity to carry on with a mixture of humanities and science subjects at university with a degree such as natural sciences. Natural Sciences degrees tend to vary by university, so it's definitely worth having a look around to see what course is right for you. At Lancaster, the degree is very flexible, you can choose 3 pathways out of a possible 21. The subjects range from maths, psychology, computer science, engineering, earth sciences, and more, so there are many different possible combinations! The complete list of different pathways is in the brochure which can be found here - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/ . You can also study one subject outside of the sciences, so could continue with history as well as maths and psychology.

In terms of job prospects, I have a graduate role secured in the field of research and development in nuclear fusion and was also looking into renewable energies and building services too. I think the interdisciplinary aspect of the degree really works in your favour in terms of job prospects, and you are certainly not limited to specific jobs since you tend to have a nice breadth of skills! I also undertook a placement year within the degree which helped with my career prospects and was a great way for me to understand the type of career that I would like too.

Best of luck with all of your applications, if you have any further questions, feel free to let me know!

- Bethan (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hey, firstly don't worry about your family "expecting you" to do law. It's your choice what you do.
Secondly, a levels are really hard, especially if its something you are not genuinely interested in, so pick something you enjoy.
Is the reason you are doing better in essay subjects just because you did prefer them so try harder, or are you just better at them? I'm not sure whether you might struggle with a level content if you are at a 5, but i guess if you really enjoy it you might put in more work so do better.
Is there a particular reason for the sudden change? Is there a possibility you might change back to liking essay subjects?
Lastly if you start the a levels and they aren't right, you can switch, assuming you let people know quickly.
Reply 18
I am no expert. I do history, art history, classical civilisation and RE (philosophy, ethics and theology) so I can tell you about those and my exam board, etc if that is in any way useful, it's fine if not.

I would say see what it was about humanities subjects you liked and find subjects that match this or you could look at social sciences like psychology or sociology.

Maybe look at subjects if there are any that you haven't tried before. Have a look at the syllabus and types of questions to see if it's for you or if there is anyone who understands or you think could help that you know try talking to them.

The only parameter I would say is making sure you will enjoy it and therefore be more likely to be motivated (of course it isn't allways easy to tell till you start), it will allow you to do what you want in the future (you do not want to be cut off because of your choices) and that you have the base skill e.g can write and read/ do maths to the level needed and have the GCSEs for it.

You could do maths, but the question is is that the best you can do, did you try your best or could you push yourself? do what you want, but I wouldn't recommend maths if you struggle with it at all as it gets harder. But I don't do it, so you could be okay with a 6. I would think a 6 is the minimum. I couldn't do biology which is fine now as I wanted to do philosophy but I found it really interesting because I had a 5 and it contains maths for example.

If you do make the wrong choice as long as you realise soon enough, then you can switch in most schools and are not locked in.

Good luck, i wish you all the best with your studies.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest