The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
yeh, no doubt there'll be an M2 thread
From the sounds of it, I'm really glad I didn't do M2! We did S1 last year and M1 this year, and to be honest I find it tough to imagine a paper harder than those! Doing so well on core 4 you'll be pretty chilled for that though :smile:
Reply 122
is 5 (ii) on C4 paper definitely = 7/3????????
fo sho playa! don't be doubting on a homie.

I found an equation that correctly gave me the time for 1000 and 2000 hectares, and this gave me 7/3. So it's definitely right.
I think i may have got 5/3...and i can't work out how..why am i such a spanner at times :-/

I messed up that integration where everyone had pi^2/578 or whatever it was...but never mind i needed 60 on both this and S2 to get my A. I was just hoping i could go real high then if needed my 90 in S1 could be used in further maths instead of whatever i got in D1 if it wasn't as high :-/
what do you reckon the ums marks will be like.. i'm almost certain i got 54/72 overall based on the answers in the thread and a lot of them being "show this/prove this" questions.. that would work out at 75%.. im hoping the boundaries will get lowered a bit. however, im not quite convinced that people found this paper that difficult.. well you guys on here seem to find every paper easy! there was too much of a mixed reaction to it after the exam at college to tell there aswell. so what's the verdict guys?
I'd say it was difficult. I know alot of people were just plain scared off by the substitution and differential equation. But jan 06 wasn't easy and apparently 90% was the 80 UMS boundry...
Clearvision
I'd say it was difficult. I know alot of people were just plain scared off by the substitution and differential equation. But jan 06 wasn't easy and apparently 90% was the 80 UMS boundry...

What on earth are you talking about??!!?! The grade boundaries were high because it was an easy paper. If it was a very hard exam, then the grade boundaries would be really low, makes sense doesn't it????
Yeah but when i did it i didn't find it that easy. It wasn't hard, just wasn't easy enough to merit such a high boundry imo. So i can't really predict what this papers boundry will be...
Reply 129
but you got to remember that (well i think) that most you guys represent the top level of maths. So if some are saying it was ok etc, then god knows what the less able thought lol!
Most people here won't need an A to get an A overall so I think most of us are going to be pretty safe anyway.
Does anyone have any idea about the raw mark (i.e. score out of 72) that will be needed for 100 UMS?

I think I got all of it right, well I agree with all Head's answers anyway except on 9iii where I did the area of the rectangle as I forgot to multiply by 1/2. Also, what do you think the 3 marks would be awarded for in 9iii? (Just to remind you - here you had to find where that trig graph crossed the y and x axes and show that the area of the triangle with vertices origin, x-intercept and y-intercept was 12/sin(2P).
RoosterDude
Does anyone have any idea about the raw mark (i.e. score out of 72) that will be needed for 100 UMS?

You'd probably need 100% raw marks, maybe you can drop 1 mark and still get 100%, but I doubt you can drop anymore and still get 100%
yeah I believe you can drop a few marks raw and they just round it up to 100 ums. Don't bank on it though. Anyway, a few UMS points is nothing really :smile:
You usually need 100% to get 100% in maths, I doubt you'll be able to drop as much as 3 marks and still get 100%
If we look at grade boundaries in the past, for 80UMS marks you need around 79%/80% (included june 2005 C4 and excluding Jan 06 C4 because that was abnormally high). So the percentage in raw marks is roughly the same as the percentage in UMS marks, maybe one mark difference. So I highly doubt that you can drop 3 marks :p:

...... but this of course minutely depends on how everyone else did....
Meh as long as I get over 80 I'm happy. I think I dropped 12 marks in the exam which looks like I'm on for a lowish A.

The sheer scope for silly mistakes on that paper makes it quite hard. I know I made a few and a few geniuses on here made a few so hopefully the grade boundaries will be lowered.
Well I think the grade boundaries will only vary if people get a D or less, because if there are a lot of people getting the A - C range, then the boundaries are likely to be high. So unless quite a few people failed, the change in the boundaries is likely to be insignificant
Reply 137
Hey jus to give some deviance to the overall jist of this topic; I took C4 fairly confident and I majorly plummeted !

Hopefully I've passed, if I have then I should have at least a C overall and hopefully a B, I need 280/300 points and I'm looking good for my other subjects; physics and chemistry, just maths let me down. My main regret is not working hard enough in my first year, but as long as I get into the uni I have as my number one choice then I've vowed to myself to amend my evil ways of the past two years!
Hehe!
So hopefully theres enough of us that are <C grade to keep the boundary for A at 80 or even lower it (doubt the possibility of that though)
I know lots of people that didn't even attempt the D.E or the substitution and question 9 made no sense to them.. + silly mistakes could make a low-ish boundry.
yeah D.E/substitution/question 9 seem to be the ones i hear people saying they messed up the most.. hopefully it'll have an effect on the ums and lower it, tbh i thought the substitution and question 9 were very do-able considering a bulk of the marks on those were "prove this". the D.E however.. :eek: .. im so glad the vectors marks were easy, i was expecting some big vague messy question

Latest