The Student Room Group

Offered a Legal Placement, should I take a Gap Year

Hi,

I am currently in my 2nd year of studying LLB Law, Social Justice and Human Rights at De Montfort University. I got BBC at A Levels and E at AS, so together I have 300 UCAS Points.

In my first year I got a 2:2 and in my 2nd a 2:1. I volunteered for 7 months at the CAB, and I did a two week summer internship at Ford Motor Company in their legal department. In fact I made really good contacts at Ford and I have one of the directors as my reference. I am currently doing a 3 month placement at high street law from working as a paralegal.

I have applied for training contracts but I haven't had any luck yet, however the firm I am interning in offered me a full time contract as a Paralegal.
The problem is that I have a year left of uni. So should I take a Gap year and work full time as paralegal to gain more experience or finish uni.
Would the experience be worth doing considering the firm is quite small and not exactly prestigious.

HELP!!
If your long term ambition is to become a paralegal, leave uni. If you harbour any greater ambitions, obviously stay, please!
Reply 2
Original post by usually silent
If your long term ambition is to become a paralegal, leave uni. If you harbour any greater ambitions, obviously stay, please!
I don't want to become a paralegal. I was just wondering if its wise to take a gap year working as a paralegal to gain experience, so I have a better chance of getting a TC
I am far from an authority on this, but taking a gap year surely will disrupt your studies. Moreover, you are going to have to complete your studies at some point, you can get as much experience as you want once you've finished. I don't think the benefit of one years paralegal experience, when you already have some, is even close to the benefits of finishing your degree. Finish your degree, apply for some more tcs next year and if that's unsuccessful, then look to gaining more experience, if the firm really likes you, the job may well be there in a year anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by usually silent
you can get as much experience as you want once you've finished. I don't think the benefit of one years paralegal experience, when you already have some, is even close to the benefits of finishing your degree. Finish your degree, apply for some more tcs next year and if that's unsuccessful, then look to gaining more experience, if the firm really likes you, the job may well be there in a year anyway.

You make it sound like getting legal experience is easy in the current market?

OP, consider taking the year out like a legal course which is 4 years long specifically so that you can have a placement year. Firms will look upon this favourably and it will be an added boost to your application, making it stand out from others.

I suggest you take the year out, provided you can handle the disruption to your studies, and then come back and finish your degree afterwards.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by arrowhead
You make it sound like getting legal experience is easy in the current market?

OP, consider taking the year out like a legal course which is 4 years long specifically so that you can have a placement year. Firms will look upon this favourable and it will be an added boost to your application, making it stand out from others.

I suggest you take the year out, provided you can handle the disruption to your studies, and then come back and finish your degree afterwards.

I agree with this. Plus I'm sure I've heard people say that LL.B students who complete a placement year then go back to finish their degree do better than students who don't.. That may just be anecdotal evidence though, I don't know exact figures.

Anyway - this firm must be very impressed with you to offer you a permanent contract after being there for a few months. If you can keep up your hard work and dedication for another year, and show that you're ready for more responsibility etc, they may even offer you a TC to start when you finish third year and your LPC/to go back there as a paralegal after you've finished your studies until you find a TC elsewhere.
Reply 6
That sure sounds like a tricky decision. On one hand you have received a full time job as a paralegal for 1 year, meaning you would be able to gain invaluable experience and on the other hand you have the option to finish your degree. It ultimately depends on if you would be willing to take a year out to work. Having seen that you have got quite a bit of experience already, I would suggest that you finish your studies, although, you mentioned that you have had no luck with TC's so perhaps it could be worth taking a gap year to work for a year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mloco
I agree with this. Plus I'm sure I've heard people say that LL.B students who complete a placement year then go back to finish their degree do better than students who don't.. That may just be anecdotal evidence though, I don't know exact figures.

Anyway - this firm must be very impressed with you to offer you a permanent contract after being there for a few months. If you can keep up your hard work and dedication for another year, and show that you're ready for more responsibility etc, they may even offer you a TC to start when you finish third year and your LPC/to go back there as a paralegal after you've finished your studies until you find a TC elsewhere.

Precisely! There are LLB grads dime a dozen in the market today. Firms are more impressed with real experience than just another 3-year LLB!
Reply 8
Original post by arrowhead
Precisely! There are LLB grads dime a dozen in the market today. Firms are more impressed with real experience than just another 3-year LLB!

Again, I completely agree - are you a fellow LL.B grad struggling to get a TC/pupillage?! Sounds like you're also speaking from experience!
Definitely take a gap year; it will help you incredibly when you come to looking for your first job after you graduate. :smile:

Congrats for getting the paralegal internship :biggrin:
Original post by mloco
Again, I completely agree - are you a fellow LL.B grad struggling to get a TC/pupillage?! Sounds like you're also speaking from experience!

I got my TC offer already actually. :biggrin: But that was not an easy journey for me!
Reply 11
I'm so torn. I have nothing to lose by taking a Gap Year. I just want to make sure that i have a proper contract so they don't take advantage of me.

I just hope that it will increase my chances of getting a TC or any other job for that matter
Original post by YettyA
I'm so torn. I have nothing to lose by taking a Gap Year. I just want to make sure that i have a proper contract so they don't take advantage of me.

As a paralegal, you're already being taken advantage of. Sorry.

Original post by YettyA
I just hope that it will increase my chances of getting a TC or any other job for that matter

It will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending