The Student Room Group

picking firm choice/clearing

Answered
(edited 2 weeks ago)
I don't think this is how it works at all.
I think you are better off contacting Leicester now to find out the best way to get onto their Law course. What is the likelyhood it will be in clearing at all?
Be prepared that you may have to take a gap year, if you do not want to go to Essex.
Original post by totallyfine
I don't think this is how it works at all.
I think you are better off contacting Leicester now to find out the best way to get onto their Law course. What is the likelyhood it will be in clearing at all?
Be prepared that you may have to take a gap year, if you do not want to go to Essex.
i would still settle for essex, for lack of a better word. it wouldn’t be the end of the world i just really prefer leicester. thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by dnjskshsiwjehe
so, i got a conditional offer from essex to study law and i was also offered an alternative offer to study english at leicester. im thinking of putting leicester as my firm choice although i am definitely going to do law, and essex as my insurance.
my idea is that if i pick leicester then im more likely to get a place when i change my course through clearing? and that i’d also get more of an advantage since i can pick my accommodation? im not sure if this is how it works though, how likely is it that i’ll be able to get into leicester through clearing, and I ONLY WANT TO GO THROUGH CLEARING IF ITS FOR LEICESTER. also do i call them up and ask for a place and then decline my other offers? because i don’t want to decline my insurance obviously if i haven’t gotten an offer yet.
sorry for waffling, im just so confused.
Hiya @dnjskshsiwjehe !😃

Here is some clarification regarding your situation:
Usually when you apply via clearing it means you are doing a new application to the university so if have already applied to Leicester and would apply via clearing again, it means you are doing another new application so the one you had done previously will not be affected and you can't via clearing ask to change the offer you already have for another.

Choosing accomodation via conditional offer or clearing does not guarantee you will have the accomodation you want in any university as applications for accommodations are based on the first students applying.
Also clearing is over the summer so if you contact now the universities there is nothing they can't do as you need to call during clearing period.

Regarding Essex....
Essex Law School | University of Essex is Top 3 in the UK for research power in law (Times Higher Education research power measure, REF2021) and TOP 49 for Law in THE World University Rankings by Subject 2023.🎓

Our law course allows you to develop your intellectual and critical faculties, encourage you to think independently and teach you to present rational, coherent and accurate arguments orally and in writing.
You cover all the key areas of law, as well as a wide range of optional topics including:

-Copyright and trademark law
-International environmental law
-Law and literature
-Human rights
-The use of evidence

At Essex we offer students special facilities such us:
-Volunteer at Essex Law Clinic | University of Essex where you can use your legal knowledge and skills to give advice to a real case in court
-Work on key Human Rights projects at our Human Rights Centre Clinic | University of Essex
-Join our Model United Nations society and test your mediation and negotiation skills in our Client Interviewing Competition
-Network at our student-run Law Society, Human Rights Society, and Bar Society
-Take advantage of networking opportunities throughout the year with visiting law firms

With your Law degree at Essex you are also able to study abroad anywhere in the world or take a placement year between your second and final year of studies.🌍
Study Abroad | University of Essex

In regards accomodation we have 8 types you can choose from.🏬
Student Accommodation at Essex | University of Essex

Our students Union is home to more than 140 societies, hosts activities all year around.🥗🍗🎨🧶🏀🏈🤿🎮🎺
Have a look on our website:Colchester (essexstudent.com)

If you like we have a Law taster session on 3 July where you will have a talk from academics and also the opportunity to tour the facilities and ask current students any questions you might have as well as tour our accommodations.
Summer Insight Days | University of Essex

I hope this helps with your decision and if you have nay questions don't hesitate in contacting me !

Essex Official Rep- Cat 🤩

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending