The Student Room Group

Environmental Science work experience

Hi,

I have applied to study environmental science this year but i was also thinking that perhaps taking a gap year to gain some work experience would be good? Although, i can’t think of much work experiences that would link to environmental science? i was thinking of a lab tech job since it’ll provide me with professional lab skills etc but any other ideas of what i could do?
Hi there @ab33k!

I'm currently a third year BSc Earth and Environmental Science student studying at Lancaster University. To answer your question, I wouldn't say that sector-specific work experience prior to beginning university is particularly necessary, really. There are many students who will do some form of industrial placement as a "sandwich year" during their degree, and there are many large companies that offer these sort of placements (many environmental and engineering consultants such as Atkins, Jacobs, JBA, and and water companies such as United Utilities, Northumbrian Water, etc). From my experience these are a better (and easier) way of gaining environmental-related work experience before graduating university, as you will be more knowledgeable about the concepts you will be applying in a work-based setting than you would be after A-Level/IB/other.

If a gap year is something you are set on, then definitely consider looking into environmental internships or volunteering work as you will have the free time (although well-paid positions may be difficult to find in your position) however if the intent behind the gap year is simply to gain experience in the sector (rather than save up the money for university), then I would recommend an industrial placement scheme over that. Typically lab-based positions will be rare to come across and when they do, they will often require some form of STEM degree as a required qualification.

If you are considering this route then I strongly recommend looking into the programme offered here at Lancaster. The careers team are extremely supportive while you search for your placement and have provided me with really valuable interview skills and CV advice.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/environmental-science-placement-year-bsc-hons-f752/

I'm happy to answer any questions about my course or student life at Lancaster as well if you have them :smile:

^Harry (Lancaster Environment Centre Ambassador)
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending