The Student Room Group

Uni and gap year uncertainty

I am currently in a weird and confusing situation.
I got offered an unconditional place at royal holloway for a course i did not want and though a good uni, the commute was too far and i am not willing to apply for a maintainence loan.
I have a place at a much lower ranked university but close to home and for a course i am happy with (biological sciences). However i have my doubts about the university. How low it is ranked and how that will impact my future.
i was also considering a gap year so i can get more experience (i already have some babysitting and in a finance office 9-5) and travel and write my book really as well as improve my art.
i don't want to retake my a levels and yeah. Maybe i should? I got BCD in psych, bio and chem.
Should i take a gap year and figure myself out? or should i go into uni for a degree i want but at a lower ranked school?
Original post by Beebee994
I got offered an unconditional place at royal holloway for a course i did not want and though a good uni, the commute was too far and i am not willing to apply for a maintainence loan.
I have a place at a much lower ranked university but close to home and for a course i am happy with (biological sciences). However i have my doubts about the university. How low it is ranked and how that will impact my future.
i was also considering a gap year so i can get more experience (i already have some babysitting and in a finance office 9-5) and travel and write my book really as well as improve my art.
i don't want to retake my a levels and yeah. Maybe i should? I got BCD in psych, bio and chem.
Should i take a gap year and figure myself out? or should i go into uni for a degree i want but at a lower ranked school?

If you have any doubts and the uni rank is very bad, then get a gap year and retake the A-levels, figure yourself out. I was in a similar situation, I went to clearing and uni which was a big mistake. I should've instead figured myself out.

For A-levels, you should retake at least 2 (the C and the D) and get those grades up.
That's exactly what I did - I felt backed into a corner and went into a uni I didn't want and now I'm colossally screwed.
What would your advice be re my situation (thread is called 'Gap year or no - PLEASE HELP'. Having to stay anon for various reasons.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
That's exactly what I did - I felt backed into a corner and went into a uni I didn't want and now I'm colossally screwed.
What would your advice be re my situation (thread is called 'Gap year or no - PLEASE HELP'. Having to stay anon for various reasons.

I would write some ideas down for what YOU want to do. What benefits, what negatives would the gap year or uni year bring? Make it physical, make it happen.
Original post by Anonymous
That's exactly what I did - I felt backed

Directed at you @justlearning1469. Thank you for your advice on the situation @Beebee994
So weird how similar your situation now and mine last year are. Also from my thread, please learn from my mistake, if you feel you can go somewhere better, do so whilst you still have a chance to apply.
Basically, as I said on my thread, it all feels so wrong. Everything. Staying at this uni when I have a chance at another. But then taking ANOTHER year out and being out of education again feels like stagnating.
Gap year:
Benefits-
-can reapply to the better ranked unis
-if I ever had a chance to change, it'd be now due to SFE reasons and the fact I've only done my first year
-I already have so many regrets, I don't wanna live with even more
- MUCH higher chance of being accepted into year 1 at the uni I want than into year 2
Negatives-
-I lose another year, when I start uni I'll be 22😭
-there's no guarantee that I'll get offers if I take this year out (although I do exceed the entry requirements)
-I may regret moving unis, like there's no guarantee things will be perfect
-everyone is advising against this, saying you made the mistake so you need to make the best of it and live with it

Staying at current uni:
Benefits-
- I don't lose another year on top of how many I've lost already
-Settled in there, I'm okay with the city, campus/people/sports are good too
Negatives-
-will regret forever not going to a 'better' uni, given how hard I worked at A-level and the grades I got
-env is not for me - as I said on my thread (at least on my course), I was surrounded by ppl with CCD who didn't really want to be there, lots of ppl dropped out etc. including 2 of my good friends and at least 5-10 others
-if I do get an offer for 2024 for year 2 (though most likely won't happen as the uni I want to go to has said they barely ever allow this), I'm afraid that I'll be too settled in and will really struggle with the idea of changing uni and ultimately I'll suffer bc of this.

I've probs missed out a few things here and there, not too sure.

@Beebee994 OMG SO SO SORRY, I THOUGHT WE'D BEEN TALKING ON MY THREAD. I just now realised ive written all of this on your thread, I'M HONESTLY SO SORRY FOR THAT
Reply 8
Original post by anonymous
@beebee994 omg so so sorry, i thought we'd been talking on my thread. I just now realised ive written all of this on your thread, i'm honestly so sorry for that

broo no worries <3

@Beebee994

It’s not all about rankings. People will consider your degree classification and how suitable you are for the work environment. Will you make a good fit to the team? Do you appear friendly, sociable, knowledgeable etc…?

Will a gap year better prepare you for your degree or help you save money?

Personally, I think you should go to the lower ranked university as you like the course, it’s close to home and you have been accepted on to the course, but if you feel strongly that you would prefer to go somewhere else and feel that you can improve on your A’ levels, then it might be worthwhile to repeat them.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Rankings don't matter - being happy with the course does. What will influence your employability is achieving a good degree (2:1) or above, and work experience. That is what employers will look at - not where you took your degree or A level grades. Does the biologial science course offer a placement year?
Reply 11
Thank you so much for your reply! I have decided i will go to Middlesex university. Today i even went to my old school to speak to my teachers about my situation and they said the same thing. No matter where i go i will make sure to succeed. They even gave me connections and advice and such. :smile:

I am just scared of growing up, but arent we all? Yeah thats it i guess. :smile:
Reply 12
No placement year, but the thing i wanna go into (conservation) has a lot of volunteering oppurtunities here in London. Especially nearby the university too! My old biology teacher's husband is also a lecturer there so i already have someone i know. Even my chemistry teacher who went to UCL said that the environment would suit me more at middlesex since it is more relaxed. I need that. BUt yeah thank you :smile: i will try my absolute hardest!
Original post by normaw
Rankings don't matter - being happy with the course does. What will influence your employability is achieving a good degree (2:1) or above, and work experience. That is what employers will look at - not where you took your degree or A level grades. Does the biologial science course offer a placement year?
Thank you so much for your reply! I have decided i will go to Middlesex university. Today i even went to my old school to speak to my teachers about my situation and they said the same thing. No matter where i go i will make sure to succeed. They even gave me connections and advice and such. :smile:

I am just scared of growing up, but arent we all? Yeah thats it i guess. :smile:

@Beebee994

It's all about the mindset!

It's great that you were able to speak to your teachers and get advice : )

All the best :yeah:!!!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending