Turn on thread page Beta

which social class are you? watch

• View Poll Results: Which class are you?
    working class
    21.01%
    lower middle class
    21.66%
    middle class
    48.14%
    upper class
    9.19%

ReputationRep:
    Middle. I'm at university, duh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    NZ has a class system too. Like any society.
    I said it will help . Well I think it would be easier to disassociate myself with any class if I start a new life in NZ than to carry on with my life here in UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer18)
    I said it will help . Well I think it would be easier to disassociate myself with any class if I start a new life in NZ than to carry on with my life here in UK.
    Ok, out of interest, how and why?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, out of interest, how and why?
    I think it's more to do with the holistic characteristics of New Zealand rather than its specific socio-economic characteristics that would enable me to disassociate myself with any class.

New Zealand is less hectic. I could live a simple life in NZ.

ReputationRep:
    How do people on this thread define class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer18)
    I think it's more to do with the holistic characteristics of New Zealand rather than its specific socio-economic characteristics that would enable me to disassociate myself with any class.

New Zealand is less hectic. I could live a simple life in NZ.
    Out of interest have you been there? Is the UK hectic to you? I thought the UK was quite laid back. NZ, depending on where you go, can be hectic or laid back. Cities - hectic. Country, not so. Define the holistic characteristics? I'm not having a go at you I'm just interested in why you feel moving to another country will enable you to live a classless existence.

ReputationRep:
    When people say financial do you mean what you earn or what you parents earn?
    My own salary would make me working class but my dad's would make me middle.
    Upbrining was fairly middle I suppose, although my family buy both the Guardian and the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by global_warning)
    How do people on this thread define class?
    Wiki puts it pretty succinctly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest have you been there? Is the UK hectic? I thought the UK was quite liad back. NZ, depending on where you go, can be hectic or laid back. Cities - hectic. Country, not so. Define the holistic characteristics? I;m not having a go at you I'm just interested in why you feel moving to another country will enable you to live a classless existence.
    I've been to NZ, but only for a short time, and I can pretty much say that NZ is generally less hectic than UK. If you compare like to like, Wellington is far less hectic than London. So with the countrysides.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, NZ is much more laid back. Plus is less populted so it feels less busy and chaotic. Christchurch is amazing. I love South Island!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1013)
    Yeah, NZ is much more laid back. Plus is less populted so it feels less busy and chaotic. Christchurch is amazing. I love South Island!
    South Island is fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    Mate, everything is less hectic compared with London!!

ReputationRep:
    'm just interested in why you feel moving to another country will enable you to live a classless existence.
    There is only one way to live a classless existence in society.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, everything is less hectic compared with London!!
    Exactly!

I'm just doing a like to like comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Wiki puts it pretty succinctly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class
    Thanks for the link Segat1.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can call a Wellington:London comparison like to like. New York to London maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can call a Wellington:London comparison like to like. New York to London maybe.
    Wellington and London are both capitals.

We're comparing NZ v UK in the first place, and I've just cited Wellington v London as an example.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you can. Any capital city to any captial city is a like to like, is it not? Just becaue they are not similar doesn't make the comparison invalid.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not really, not if you wish to get a true representation of your comparison. That's like me comparing Canberra to London - no where near the same size, population or economic importance. To get a true comparison you need a reasonable benchmark. London skews it too much.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not really, not if you wish to get a true representation of your comparison. That's like me comparing Canberra to London - no where near the same size, population or economic importance. To get a true comparison you need a reasonable benchmark. London skews it too much.
    So it's not like to like then, but it's fair to compare Wellington and London.

Wellington is probably the only NZ city that's closest to London's specifications.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.