The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Middle. I'm at university, duh.
Segat1
NZ has a class system too. Like any society.

I said it will help . Well I think it would be easier to disassociate myself with any class if I start a new life in NZ than to carry on with my life here in UK.
Reply 22
sixthformer18
I said it will help . Well I think it would be easier to disassociate myself with any class if I start a new life in NZ than to carry on with my life here in UK.
Ok, out of interest, how and why?
Segat1
Ok, out of interest, how and why?

I think it's more to do with the holistic characteristics of New Zealand rather than its specific socio-economic characteristics that would enable me to disassociate myself with any class.

New Zealand is less hectic. I could live a simple life in NZ.
How do people on this thread define class?
Reply 25
sixthformer18
I think it's more to do with the holistic characteristics of New Zealand rather than its specific socio-economic characteristics that would enable me to disassociate myself with any class.

New Zealand is less hectic. I could live a simple life in NZ.
Out of interest have you been there? Is the UK hectic to you? I thought the UK was quite laid back. NZ, depending on where you go, can be hectic or laid back. Cities - hectic. Country, not so. Define the holistic characteristics? I'm not having a go at you I'm just interested in why you feel moving to another country will enable you to live a classless existence.
Reply 26
When people say financial do you mean what you earn or what you parents earn?
My own salary would make me working class but my dad's would make me middle.
Upbrining was fairly middle I suppose, although my family buy both the Guardian and the Daily Mail.
Reply 27
global_warning
How do people on this thread define class?
Wiki puts it pretty succinctly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class
Segat1
Out of interest have you been there? Is the UK hectic? I thought the UK was quite liad back. NZ, depending on where you go, can be hectic or laid back. Cities - hectic. Country, not so. Define the holistic characteristics? I;m not having a go at you I'm just interested in why you feel moving to another country will enable you to live a classless existence.

I've been to NZ, but only for a short time, and I can pretty much say that NZ is generally less hectic than UK. If you compare like to like, Wellington is far less hectic than London. So with the countrysides.
Reply 29
Yeah, NZ is much more laid back. Plus is less populted so it feels less busy and chaotic. Christchurch is amazing. I love South Island!
Yeah, NZ is much more laid back. Plus is less populted so it feels less busy and chaotic. Christchurch is amazing. I love South Island!

South Island is fantastic!
Reply 31
Mate, everything is less hectic compared with London!!
Reply 32
Segat1
'm just interested in why you feel moving to another country will enable you to live a classless existence.

There is only one way to live a classless existence in society.
Segat1
Mate, everything is less hectic compared with London!!

Exactly!

I'm just doing a like to like comparison.
Segat1
Wiki puts it pretty succinctly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class

Thanks for the link Segat1.
Reply 35
I don't think you can call a Wellington:London comparison like to like. New York to London maybe.
Segat1
I don't think you can call a Wellington:London comparison like to like. New York to London maybe.

Wellington and London are both capitals.

We're comparing NZ v UK in the first place, and I've just cited Wellington v London as an example.
Reply 37
Well, you can. Any capital city to any captial city is a like to like, is it not? Just becaue they are not similar doesn't make the comparison invalid.
Reply 38
No, it's not really, not if you wish to get a true representation of your comparison. That's like me comparing Canberra to London - no where near the same size, population or economic importance. To get a true comparison you need a reasonable benchmark. London skews it too much.
Segat1
No, it's not really, not if you wish to get a true representation of your comparison. That's like me comparing Canberra to London - no where near the same size, population or economic importance. To get a true comparison you need a reasonable benchmark. London skews it too much.

So it's not like to like then, but it's fair to compare Wellington and London.

Wellington is probably the only NZ city that's closest to London's specifications.

Latest

Trending

Trending