The Student Room Group

Is this a good EPQ title/topic

To what extent does social class impact a person's health?

Also any advice on doing your EPQ would be appreciated because I agreed to do an EPQ before I knew what it was
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by Anxious_addy

Also any advice on doing your EPQ would be appreciated because I agreed to do an EPQ before I knew what it was

I assume you are about to start upper 6th? If so you have left it a little late to do an EPQ as you want to get it completely done and dusted by maybe Oct or Nov, so it won’t impact your Xmas mocks etc. Most schools expect you to have done at least the bulk of the research over the summer holiday.

I would normally say it’s worth doing, but not sure in your case if you have not started yet.
(edited 7 months ago)

This sounds very broad. Maybe you could be a bit more specific with ‘health’:smile:

Honestly it sounds a little overly broad/vague.

How do you define social class? What metrics are you using to gauge whether someone's health has been impacted? What kind of sample are you using for your data, and how might this affect the results (e.g. what age ranges are you using, are you accounting for variances in ethnicity, geographical region, etc?). Also, what datasets are you using and where are you getting them from?

I think you need to narrow it down a lot more by picking a single indicator of "social class" and a single health metric and then be judicious in your data sources (and consider if you want to restrict the data to specific age ranges or a single region or similar) and factor in potential biases in those data sources (including that might arise from restricting the data as suggested above).

This will give you plenty of "meat on the bone" to work with and analyse, while keeping it focused enough to ensure your analysis is in depth and robust and not superficial.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lalexm
I assume you are about to start upper 6th? If so you have left it a little late to do an EPQ as you want to get it completely done and dusted by maybe Oct or Nov, so it won’t impact your Xmas mocks etc. Most schools expect you to have done at least the bulk of the research over the summer holiday.

I would normally say it’s worth doing, but not sure in your case if you have not started yet.

I'm starting year 12 this September
Reply 6
I'm starting year 12 this September

oh great. I would therefore recommend that you do an EPQ. Uni's love them, as they show independent learning and research skills, plus it's a great way of doing super curriculars, which you need to do anyway to get into the more competitive unis. Some uni's also lower entry grade requirements if you get an A in your EPQ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending