The Student Room Group

brunel university , uxbridge or kings college london?

hi guys ,
can you please help me decide if i should go for brunel university or kings college for creative writing and english BA hons. Also pls help me with reference to how these places are to live and which one will have better night life and how the surroundings are.

thankyou.
Kings arguably has the best reputation. However, I'm not sure about how good it performs subject specifically.
Reply 2
Original post by Notorious544d
Kings arguably has the best reputation. However, I'm not sure about how good it performs subject specifically.

thankyou , can you help me with how uxbridge is otherwise ? like how far is it from the main city , etc ?
Reply 3
Hi,

I am a postgraduate student at Brunel (History) and I completed my undergraduate degree here. I personally love it at Brunel and I have thrived here (great opportunities). It is a 40min journey on the Met line into central London. Personally I prefer to live in a satellite town and venture in when I am looking for an adventure. I lvied in London over last summer can get a little hectic. Of course there are a number of universities, certainly the more tradiaitonal institutions that perform well in the league tables. However having been in an institutions for a while and experience working in HE insitutions as well, it is important to look at what the course can offer you as well. For example History at Brunel performs exceptionally well, even if the reputation of the institution as a whole is not as good as that of KCL. The other important thing to consider is that you will make this new place your home so you want to visit and make sure that you feel comfortable and that it is a place you believe will help you to reach your potential. Brunel has a wonderful campus and provides a collegiate feel the social life is excellent and there are plenty of opportunities to be part of clubs, society and the union and much more.

The English and Creative writing department here is from the little I know quite good. Even as an historian I have worked with them and we of course have Will Self and Benjamin Zephania teaching here and a number of published authors. We have also had a number of students and PhD student publish novels etc.

So make sure to check out both departments, courses, academics etc before making a decision.

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best in the future whatever it is that you decide to do.

Regards,

S
Reply 4
Original post by HistoryGrad
Hi,

I am a postgraduate student at Brunel (History) and I completed my undergraduate degree here. I personally love it at Brunel and I have thrived here (great opportunities). It is a 40min journey on the Met line into central London. Personally I prefer to live in a satellite town and venture in when I am looking for an adventure. I lvied in London over last summer can get a little hectic. Of course there are a number of universities, certainly the more tradiaitonal institutions that perform well in the league tables. However having been in an institutions for a while and experience working in HE insitutions as well, it is important to look at what the course can offer you as well. For example History at Brunel performs exceptionally well, even if the reputation of the institution as a whole is not as good as that of KCL. The other important thing to consider is that you will make this new place your home so you want to visit and make sure that you feel comfortable and that it is a place you believe will help you to reach your potential. Brunel has a wonderful campus and provides a collegiate feel the social life is excellent and there are plenty of opportunities to be part of clubs, society and the union and much more.

The English and Creative writing department here is from the little I know quite good. Even as an historian I have worked with them and we of course have Will Self and Benjamin Zephania teaching here and a number of published authors. We have also had a number of students and PhD student publish novels etc.

So make sure to check out both departments, courses, academics etc before making a decision.

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best in the future whatever it is that you decide to do.

Regards,

S

yes , thankyou , its nice to hear from someone thats studying at brunel. but i have read a few posts that say that uxbridge is not a very good place , is that true ?
Reply 5
Uxbidge is like a lot of towns some bits are great others not. It has a wonderful canal with some lovely pubs along it....lots of nice green spaces (google fassnidge park). They have two shopping malls, cinemas, places to eat etc. Some good pubs. The night club is Liquid (which isnt the best I suppose) the Students Union however has a great feel to it and great fun. I dont want to offend anyone that lives in Uxbridge (which I do) but some of the locals are well...you can guess Im sure. But it is not a horrible place. and the campus is like a little town of its own.

Again it is like everywhere you go good and bad bits. I personally like the distance from the centre. Don't get me wrong being a history student London is amazing and I lvoe to go into London every few weeks as a treat go to the museums, pubs etc. But I enjoy not living right in the hustle and bustle.

S
Original post by sg_2425
hi guys ,
can you please help me decide if i should go for brunel university or kings college for creative writing and english BA hons. Also pls help me with reference to how these places are to live and which one will have better night life and how the surroundings are.

thankyou.

Hiya,
I live in Uxbridge and am going to Brunel in September :smile: The night life in Uxbridge is not great but it is not bad, really depends on who you go out with if I am honest.

The town centre is literally a 15 minute walk from Brunel, clubs include Liquids night club and the electric lounge, there are a few pubs locally. Drinks are dirt cheap and for me personally because I know a lot of people here, nights out are a right laugh!

In the last few years Uxbridge has attracted some less than favourable people but on the whole it's a nice place and most of the people you will be associating with are uni students so are on your wave length.

It's close to the tube so going central is not a hassle, I don't think it is a bad place to live in tbh
(edited 10 years ago)
i live in uxbridge but dont want to go to brunel since its too close

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending