The Student Room Group

English literature at uni?

Heyy :smile:
I’m looking at studying English lit at university (Uni of Liv, LJMU or Chester) but I am just unsure at job prospects/ employability after the degree.
Can anyone help? People who have done English lit, and have got a job, or people who advice against.
Thank you !
Original post by lolasmith1975
I’m looking at studying English lit at university (Uni of Liv, LJMU or Chester) but I am just unsure at job prospects/ employability after the degree.
Can anyone help? People who have done English lit, and have got a job, or people who advice against.
Thank you !

Hello Lola,

I recently graduated from LJMU after studying an English Literature degree there! I can honestly say I loved it, I loved the course materials, the lecturers and the support I was given throughout.

I chose my own modules from second and third year which was so great, to be given the freedom to chose from a variety of modules over the course of the semesters! The reading material was always fascinating, with the option to do your own research and find other works that were outside the reading list. My lecturers were all so lovely and supportive, always on hand for any questions I had! My personal tutor was amazing throughout- you will be assigned one in your first year and will likely be with them for the rest of your degree which is lovely.

As for employability, studying English literature can enhance your critical thinking, communication, and analytical skills, making you valuable in various professional fields! Careers in writing, editing, teaching, marketing, and public relations often seek the strong communication skills that studying English literature develops. Additionally, the ability to analyze complex texts can be an asset in roles requiring research or problem-solving. Do not let anyone discourage you when it comes to studying the degree you want to do, this is your decision and it is an important one to make on your own accord as you will be doing it for three years!

I was lucky enough to get myself a year-long internship position at a reputable recruitment company as a result of the skills I developed in my English degree; I was successful over the other applicants as I was the only one who scored top marks in the written task! So, I hope this shows you that an English Literature degree has considerable employability factors as I am an example of this!

Good luck to you on your application and future endeavors, and be true to yourself and what you want to do! I am sure you will be great, Lola 🙂

Ria
Official LJMU Student Rep
Original post by lolasmith1975
Thank you !

Hey!

I am not an English Literature student (I studied Journalism at the University of Chester and I am now doing my MSc in Digital Marketing) but I thought I would give you some links to other student's experiences of English courses at the UoC.

Visit:
https://www1.chester.ac.uk/news/emily%E2%80%99s-story-why-i-chose-english-literature-chester
https://www1.chester.ac.uk/news/week-in-the-life-of-english-literature-student

Also, you might find it useful to talk to a current student who is studying English Literature or a similar course!
Visit:
https://www1.chester.ac.uk/ask

I think when it comes to studying you have got to have a drive to do it which means you need to enjoy it which makes it worth it. Plus, English courses have so many transferable skills which employers look out for!

Good luck and best wishes,

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
Original post by LJMUStudentReps
Hello Lola,
I recently graduated from LJMU after studying an English Literature degree there! I can honestly say I loved it, I loved the course materials, the lecturers and the support I was given throughout.
I chose my own modules from second and third year which was so great, to be given the freedom to chose from a variety of modules over the course of the semesters! The reading material was always fascinating, with the option to do your own research and find other works that were outside the reading list. My lecturers were all so lovely and supportive, always on hand for any questions I had! My personal tutor was amazing throughout- you will be assigned one in your first year and will likely be with them for the rest of your degree which is lovely.
As for employability, studying English literature can enhance your critical thinking, communication, and analytical skills, making you valuable in various professional fields! Careers in writing, editing, teaching, marketing, and public relations often seek the strong communication skills that studying English literature develops. Additionally, the ability to analyze complex texts can be an asset in roles requiring research or problem-solving. Do not let anyone discourage you when it comes to studying the degree you want to do, this is your decision and it is an important one to make on your own accord as you will be doing it for three years!
I was lucky enough to get myself a year-long internship position at a reputable recruitment company as a result of the skills I developed in my English degree; I was successful over the other applicants as I was the only one who scored top marks in the written task! So, I hope this shows you that an English Literature degree has considerable employability factors as I am an example of this!
Good luck to you on your application and future endeavors, and be true to yourself and what you want to do! I am sure you will be great, Lola 🙂
Ria
Official LJMU Student Rep

Hi, I was wondering how the workload was for English lit, I've been seeing alot of fear mongering about a BA English literature course and I just need some peace of mind, I've heard there's alot of reading and essays involved, which is pretty essential for a eng lot degree tbh but are the deadlines to read stuff really harsh ectre, thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending