The Student Room Group

English Literature Warwick or Bristol

Help me decide which one is better for English Literature and overall study plan in Warwick or Bristol which I like the both courses. I’m an international student by the way.

Warwick’s pros:
- the subject rank is much higher and top 10 even 3 in UK
- The lecturers have more credible resume (awards and grants) and publications
- The required module is lesser which could be a con too.
Warwick’s cons:
- Ugly building
- Looks like far from anywhere like is it a safe place to go at night there?
- idk about the internship opportunity which I plan to do

Bristol pros:
- Seems like the student amount in the course is lesser and more exclusive
- The students may be more intelligent and passionate (based on what I search on their social media) which may be a con too
- The buildings and city vibes are very very cool
- It’s a city uni which I prefer to go to
- seems like alot of festivals and opportunities for artists
Bristol Cons:
- Subject rank is much lower even compared to the unis that have lesser overall brand reputation
- The lecturers’ resume are not that impressive (it is still great tho) as the lecturers from Warwick
- Very low satisfaction students rate in the internet poll (for the subject and staff, not for the lecture).
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Fkurn92
Help me decide which one is better for English Literature and overall study plan in Warwick or Bristol which I like the both courses. I’m an international student by the way.

Warwick’s pros:
- the subject rank is much higher and top 10 even 3 in UK
- The lecturers have more credible resume (awards and grants) and publications
- The required module is lesser which could be a con too.
Warwick’s cons:
- Ugly building
- Looks like far from anywhere like is it a safe place to go at night there?
- idk about the internship opportunity which I plan to do

Bristol pros:
- Seems like the student amount in the course is lesser and more exclusive
- The student may be more intelligent and passionate (based on what I search on their social media) which may be con too
- The buildings and city vibes is very very cool
- It’s a city uni which I prefer to go to
- seems like alot of festivals and opportunities for artists

Cons:
- Subject rank is lower even compared to the unis that have lesser brand reputation
- The lecturers’ resume are not that impressive (is still great tho) as the lecturers from Bristol
- Low satisfaction students rate in the internet poll (for the course and staff, not for the lecture).

For English, I would say it doesn't matter out of these two universities, what do you plan on doing after you graduate? Bristol and Warwick in terms of prestige there is not too much difference between them unless you want to Finance in which case Warwick is the better choice. If you are planning on doing Law or most other things I would say it would not make loads of difference but Bristol would be better as it is the nicer place to study and also renowned for Law. I visited some friends at Warwick and unless you're studying economics/finance I don't think its worth going to Warwick to justify the location which does not offer a great student experience.
Reply 2
Original post by kindus
For English, I would say it doesn't matter out of these two universities, what do you plan on doing after you graduate? Bristol and Warwick in terms of prestige there is not too much difference between them unless you want to Finance in which case Warwick is the better choice. If you are planning on doing Law or most other things I would say it would not make loads of difference but Bristol would be better as it is the nicer place to study and also renowned for Law. I visited some friends at Warwick and unless you're studying economics/finance I don't think its worth going to Warwick to justify the location which does not offer a great student experience.

Thanks for the input. It think what you said makes sense for giving a thought on plan after graduate because I think that could differ them one from another. If I want to pursue career in academic, Warwick is better because they do research more and basically the academic network is on another level (that explains their higher ranking in the subject). In contrast if I want to enhance my portfolio in writing, Bristol is better because most of the lecturers also write fiction, the courses are more practical, and they even give option to do creative writing work as replacement to dissertation (and not forget to the festival opportunity). I think I would choose Warwick for my plan to do postgrad later and to become a lecturer in my home country. And I dont really care much about the student life basically because I dont like socialize that much though I admit Warwick seems dull and Bristol is just beautiful even at glance.

Thanks alot you’re really helpful!
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending