The Student Room Group

Durham or Manchester for English?

Hello! :smile: I may be reposting the same thing but I’m not certain…
I am a current Y13 student hoping for 2024 entry for English Literature at either of these amazing universities!! However, I am currently stuck on which one to choose. Any help would be really appreciated. I am predicted A*A*A*.

Here are my current notes! :smile:

Manchester Pros
* Highly respectable university
* Course is amazing
* In the heart of an amazing city
* Large American Studies team
* Founded drama department
* Thriving arts scene within the city
* 6th for employability
* Links to media city?
* Year abroad - possibility of Toronto
* I think I would be happier here
* Students union is viewed far higher
* A more ‘modern’ university

Manchester Cons
* Far less picturesque
* Not as competitive course
* Not as highly seen within the UK
* Close to home
* Lower earnings after the course - £23,000

Durham Pros
* Extremely well respected and seen highly by people
* Competitive course
* General atmosphere of Durham
* Collegiate system
* 12th for employability
* Thriving arts scene within the city (to a lesser extent perhaps)
* SLIGHTLY higher student satisfaction
* Higher earnings after the course - £26,000
* Proximity to Newcastle for something busier
* Scholarship?

Durham Cons
* Reputation as snobby
* Very very very small
* Expensive housing and accommodation
Original post by bill.bear02
I am a current Y13 student hoping for 2024 entry for English Literature at either of these amazing universities!! However, I am currently stuck on which one to choose. Any help would be really appreciated. I am predicted A*A*A*.
Manchester Pros
* Course is amazing
* 6th for employability
* Links to media city?
Manchester Cons
* Far less picturesque
* Close to home
Durham Pros
* Competitive course
* Collegiate system
* 12th for employability
* Scholarship?
Durham Cons
* Reputation as snobby
* Very very very small
Durham has an extremely good english lit department so would probably be the better choice but both are still very good. I would visit both to decide, the difference in location is a very big factor here.
Reply 2
The most telling factor there for me is:
"Manchester: I think I would be happier here" as well as two uses of the word "amazing"
You sound more positive about the concrete advantages of Manchester. One of your major cons for Manchester is lower graduate salaries. That's an AVERAGE figure. I suspect the higher figure for Durham is intrinsic in that "snobbiness" i.e. rich people's kids get more highly paid jobs. Manchester is a city of opportunity and your future is what you make it. It sounds like you're yearning after that cachet of picturesque Durham with its colleges - just how important is that to you?
Reply 3
Original post by Artjen
The most telling factor there for me is:
"Manchester: I think I would be happier here" as well as two uses of the word "amazing"
You sound more positive about the concrete advantages of Manchester. One of your major cons for Manchester is lower graduate salaries. That's an AVERAGE figure. I suspect the higher figure for Durham is intrinsic in that "snobbiness" i.e. rich people's kids get more highly paid jobs. Manchester is a city of opportunity and your future is what you make it. It sounds like you're yearning after that cachet of picturesque Durham with its colleges - just how important is that to you?
Thank you so much for all of these amazing replies! Extremely helpful! It is nice to know one of the biggest considerations for this decision is location. I am stuck as I am a person would feel quite confident in both a quieter picturesque town (Durham) or a busier metropolitan city (Manchester) and I don’t really know if I have a preference over any for this! As you may be able to tell, I am quite passionate about the arts so this would be important to me. May be a tad easier in a city setting?
Manchester Pros
* Course is amazing
* 6th for employability
* Links to media city?
Manchester Cons
* Far less picturesque
* Close to home
Durham Pros
* Competitive course
* Collegiate system
* 12th for employability
* Scholarship?
Durham Cons
* Reputation as snobby
* Very very very small
Hey @bill.bear02

I just wanted to hop in and share some of the beautiful spots near Manchester that are super easy to get to.

As a recent graduate from the University of Salford, we're practically neighbours with Manchester.

I actually come from a small village in the Midlands, so moving to the "Big City" was a bit intimidating at first. But now, it feels like home. That said, it's totally normal to feel the itch to escape city life sometimes. So, here are some places I love to escape to:

There are also is an article by Manchester Evening News which rates some lovely places to go and visit.

Thanks,
Katie :grin:
(Offical Salford Rep)
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by University of Salford
Hey @bill.bear02
I just wanted to hop in and share some of the beautiful spots near Manchester that are super easy to get to.
As a recent graduate from the University of Salford, we're practically neighbours with Manchester.
I actually come from a small village in the Midlands, so moving to the "Big City" was a bit intimidating at first. But now, it feels like home. That said, it's totally normal to feel the itch to escape city life sometimes. So, here are some places I love to escape to:
There are also is an article by Manchester Evening News which rates some lovely places to go and visit.
Thanks,
Katie :grin:
(Offical Salford Rep)
Thank you for this!!
Reply 6
Thank you so much for all of these amazing replies! Extremely helpful! It is nice to know one of the biggest considerations for this decision is location. I am stuck as I am a person would feel quite confident in both a quieter picturesque town (Durham) or a busier metropolitan city (Manchester) and I don’t really know if I have a preference over any for this! As you may be able to tell, I am quite passionate about the arts so this would be important to me. May be a tad easier in a city setting?

I'm stuck between either Durham or KCL for english lit atm, but recently went up to visit it. Although it is small, it is still a very pretty area, and very close to Newcastle, York and I think you can get the train to Edinburgh quite easily too! So it is easy to escape to busier cities, whilst still go to the university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending