The Student Room Group

Shall I consider studying Psychology? HELP!

I'm going to start taking new AS-Levels because i didn't enjoy doing the other ones i did (English Literature, Business, Law and Maths). Even though i passed all of them (got C's in all of them), i discovered that the university courses linked to these A-Levels were courses that offered or were linked to jobs that i wouldn't enjoy doing. I thought of doing the sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics etc) but my GCSE science grades aren't good enough to do them at A-Level (Core Science: C Additional Science: C).
Then, i turned to Psychology. I've researched it a lot and heard that you can become a Psychotherapist or a Clinical Psychologist - With both job descriptions suiting my personality. I've also heard that there are many job careers linked into Psychology e.g. Marketing/Advertising.

What A-Levels shall i study to pursue a degree in Psychology?
So far, I'm considering Psychology, Sociology, English Language and Law.

If you are studying Psychology, please tell me how interesting/hard the course is. All feedback is much appreciated.
Thank you!:smile:
Reply 1
that's a pretty good subject combination tbh.

I did psychology A Level and just scraped a B in it (by two marks). I did OCR and I found it the hardest out of all of my A levels, however, it was an interesting course. It just requires a lot of dedication to revision, purely because of the amount of studies you have to learn. It's interesting - and quite useful (stress management techniques in the run up to A2 exams were VERY handy) but it's not a subject to be taken lightly. About 1/3 of my AS class failed psychology, and it's very hard (in my experience anyway) to get top grades.

if you're going to do psychology, be serious about it - don't just do it because you can get a job. You'll find it much easier to learn the information if you're passionate about the subject, which is essential given the sheer volume of information you have to learn.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Ideally for Psychology degrees? Any core science, Biology preferably. Maths doesn't hurt either. An essay subject such as History or English Lit would also help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Ive just finished studying Business, Psychology and Sociology. I am now going on to study business psychology at university. The fact that youve done ok, you dont neccessarily need to start from scratch on all you're AS subjects, maybe swap some and carry on some for A2? but tbh unis arent interested on the subjects you study, more the grades and you can express your interest in your personal statement.
I enjoyed psychology (hence why I am carrying it on) background reading is a help and learning exam technique is important. any questions feel free to ask. As for other subjects that will help, I would say there are links in sociology, business, maths and biology. Again specific subjects arent needed (you dont even need an A level psychology to do it as a degree)

Quick Reply

Latest