The Student Room Group

A level Economics or A level Psychology???

Which a level should I pick btw I've picked my two chemistry and biology still thinking which one should I pick A level Economics or A level Psychology and why want to know which fits in what I want to be when I am older is to be a pharmacist and need to know which is more useful,helpful,easier and funner economics or psychology ????
Original post by aryc_30
Which a level should I pick btw I've picked my two chemistry and biology still thinking which one should I pick A level Economics or A level Psychology and why want to know which fits in what I want to be when I am older is to be a pharmacist and need to know which is more useful,helpful,easier and funner economics or psychology ????

I have looked through the entire list of approved degrees in the country for pharmacy for 3 times this week.

There are more unis that are offering pharmacy degrees consider psychology as a science more than economics. Those where economics is considered a science also consider psychology a science.

The key subject for pharmacy is chemistry. Should you ever decide to drop biology for any odd reason, psychology A Level is a good back up.

Which A Level is easier or more fun depends on your aptitude for the subjects, which one you enjoy more, your personality, which teachers you have, and which ones you're more interested in.
Psychology goes through individual psychological studies in depth, but focuses more on research method than actual psychological theory.
Economics focuses more on the theory at A Level, but involves very little statistical analysis and real world application (I don't consider pointing to real world examples fitting in line with certain theories as real world application).

Whilst both subjects involve analysis, economics requires more analysis and application than psychology. Psychology, I would argue, involve more memorisation. Both will require critical thinking (not applying critical thinking in either subjects can mean you get significantly lower marks than you otherwise would).

Economics is not a required subject. Psychology is a borderline required subject for some psychology degrees, but you have this covered with biology.
Reply 2
Ok i agree psychology is better then economics but what about business studies which is better and easier and funner and related to pharmacy more and get into Unis and also I wanna be a pharmacist in that case which is better also wanna study at the UoM so which one is better third subject either psychology or business tidied thankss for the help and info????

Original post by MindMax2000
I have looked through the entire list of approved degrees in the country for pharmacy for 3 times this week.

There are more unis that are offering pharmacy degrees consider psychology as a science more than economics. Those where economics is considered a science also consider psychology a science.

The key subject for pharmacy is chemistry. Should you ever decide to drop biology for any odd reason, psychology A Level is a good back up.

Which A Level is easier or more fun depends on your aptitude for the subjects, which one you enjoy more, your personality, which teachers you have, and which ones you're more interested in.
Psychology goes through individual psychological studies in depth, but focuses more on research method than actual psychological theory.
Economics focuses more on the theory at A Level, but involves very little statistical analysis and real world application (I don't consider pointing to real world examples fitting in line with certain theories as real world application).

Whilst both subjects involve analysis, economics requires more analysis and application than psychology. Psychology, I would argue, involve more memorisation. Both will require critical thinking (not applying critical thinking in either subjects can mean you get significantly lower marks than you otherwise would).

Economics is not a required subject. Psychology is a borderline required subject for some psychology degrees, but you have this covered with biology.
Reply 3
Rate from best to worst which third subject is the best for someone who wants to be a pharmacist and study mpharm at UoM either Psychology,Economics or Business Studies which from one of these a levels do you recommend me picking and which will give me a higher chance of getting in the uni that I said i want to study and the course and which is more related and easy and funner say from best to worst???

Original post by MindMax2000

Original post by aryc_30
Ok i agree psychology is better then economics but what about business studies which is better and easier and funner and related to pharmacy more and get into Unis and also I wanna be a pharmacist in that case which is better also wanna study at the UoM so which one is better third subject either psychology or business tidied thankss for the help and info????

The following is the entry requirements for Manchester's MPharm course:
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2023/01695/mpharm-pharmacy/entry-requirements/#course-profile

The specifics are: We require grades ABB-AAB. This must include Chemistry, either Mathematics or Biology, and one further rigorous academic subject (we do not accept General Studies or Critical Thinking). You are required to obtain a pass in the practical element of any science A-level taken.

In other words, after you got Chemistry and either Maths or Biology, it doesn't matter to them. I don't know what the administrators would personally think and whether they would have any preferences themselves, but according to the entry requirements it shouldn't matter.

Psychology is the probably easier subject to business studies in my opinion (I dabbled into both subjects at one point). Business studies involves more strategic and critical thinking and a lot of writing. Psychology requires detailed memorisation of the individual studies.

I personally see pyschology being more relevant to pharmacy, but it doesn't really matter according to the entry requirements i.e. if you want to learn the basics of running a business, then business studies provides a good foundation; if you want to learn about psychological studies, then by all means.
Original post by aryc_30
Rate from best to worst which third subject is the best for someone who wants to be a pharmacist and study mpharm at UoM either Psychology,Economics or Business Studies which from one of these a levels do you recommend me picking and which will give me a higher chance of getting in the uni that I said i want to study and the course and which is more related and easy and funner say from best to worst???

This is really down more to a personal preference and which subject you can do better in.

The key thing is that you need at least a B in the subject in order to get into UoM (A being ideal just in case you get a B in your other 2 subjects).

All are essay based subjects, and require a bit of analysis. None of them are required subjects, but economics or psychology can be considered a science subject for some courses outside of pharmacy should you wish to pursue those. Psychology is more about research methods. Business is more about crticial thinking. Economics is more about economic analysis. Take your pick.
Reply 6
You need Chemistry and another science/maths for most Pharmacy courses.

The other subject can literally be anything - so it makes sense to take a subject you will enjoy studying and where you are confident of a good grade. It could be in Dance, Accountancy or Underwater Basket Weaving - unless a Uni states clearly on the course page that 'x subject' is preferred, they really do not care what it is. So stop thinking 'what will impress them most' or 'what is most relevant' - if its not stated, then it really does not matter what that 3rd subject is.
Original post by aryc_30

Id look on unis websites to see what subjects/grades they specify for pharmacy courses.
Psychology might go better with the other subjects/pharmacy route. But double check the unis websites.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)

Psychology might go better with the other subjects

'Go better' - if the Unis do not require or prefer Psychology (they don't) for Pharmacy then what on earth do you mean?
Original post by McGinger
'Go better' - if the Unis do not require or prefer Psychology (they don't) for Pharmacy then what on earth do you mean?

Psychology would fit in with 2 other science subjects (possibly more than economics would). Its not hard.
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
Psychology would fit in with 2 other science subjects (possibly more than economics would). Its not hard.

'Fit better' - meaning what?
And how does that help with getting into Uni for Pharmacy when it isnt a required or preferred subject?

Quick Reply

Latest