The Student Room Group

university courses

I currently study A-Levels in Biology, Psychology and English Literature. I am really struggling to decide what course to study at uni and i really dont want to take a gap year.
I wanted to study biology at uni however after looking at the course info I don't think I will enjoy it as much as I thought I would. similar situation with psychology, after looking at the course info I don't feel like it is for me. (i really dont like english so i havent looked at courses at uni aound this subject (i didnt know what to chose for my third alevel subject so i chose english)) can anyone give me advice😅
Reply 1
Original post by avenging-lifelin
I currently study A-Levels in Biology, Psychology and English Literature. I am really struggling to decide what course to study at uni and i really dont want to take a gap year.
I wanted to study biology at uni however after looking at the course info I don't think I will enjoy it as much as I thought I would. similar situation with psychology, after looking at the course info I don't feel like it is for me. (i really dont like english so i havent looked at courses at uni aound this subject (i didnt know what to chose for my third alevel subject so i chose english)) can anyone give me advice😅

Do u have any ideas of any careers u want to do? Or would u do two of ur subjects or all three as a joint honours? Try just looking at a uni and seeing all the different courses they have and seeing which ones sound interesting?

Life sciences doesn't just include biology and psychology. You would need to look at a larger variety of subjects to see if they're subjects you want to do e.g. nutrition, physiotherapy, nursing, sports science. A lot of the subjects in life sciences will include practicals or lab sessions, so you might want to check what you specifically want from the degree.

Then there are a plethora of degrees that accept A Levels in any subjects. These include:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Agriculture

Art and design

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Social work

Consider the following link for further information on what you can do with your subjects:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/biology/english-literature/psychology?o=012

If you really want to go over the material in depth, then consider:

what do you specifically want from a degree?

what do you specifically want to do after uni? Do they specifically need a degree?

what would you not ever want to do in your degree?

what subjects or topics get you excited? These can be academic or nonacademic

why are you specifically going to university for?

Original post by MindMax2000
Life sciences doesn't just include biology and psychology. You would need to look at a larger variety of subjects to see if they're subjects you want to do e.g. nutrition, physiotherapy, nursing, sports science. A lot of the subjects in life sciences will include practicals or lab sessions, so you might want to check what you specifically want from the degree.

Then there are a plethora of degrees that accept A Levels in any subjects. These include:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Agriculture

Art and design

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Social work

Consider the following link for further information on what you can do with your subjects:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/biology/english-literature/psychology?o=012

If you really want to go over the material in depth, then consider:

what do you specifically want from a degree?

what do you specifically want to do after uni? Do they specifically need a degree?

what would you not ever want to do in your degree?

what subjects or topics get you excited? These can be academic or nonacademic

why are you specifically going to university for?

Thank you so much! this information is so helpful 🤩
Original post by Shivi8
Do u have any ideas of any careers u want to do? Or would u do two of ur subjects or all three as a joint honours? Try just looking at a uni and seeing all the different courses they have and seeing which ones sound interesting?

currently I have no idea what I want to do😭😭 thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely look at more uni courses 😊
Reply 5
currently I have no idea what I want to do😭😭 thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely look at more uni courses 😊

No problem! U could also try one of those quizzes which give u ideas of what jobs u would suit? Not sure how great they are but some of the better ones are Morrisby and Xello :smile:

Hey @avenging-lifelin, how are you? :smile:

Just wanted to check in and see how you were feeling?

I know choosing a course to study at uni can be such a hard decision to make! I'd say reflect on your interests, hobbies, subjects you have a passion for, then look into various different fields of study and explore the course information - modules, subjects, skills covered.

Then I'd deffo say attend university open days! That way you can speak to the lecturers who'd be teaching you, chat to current students on the course and ask any burning questions you have. If you take a look at universities websites you'll be able to find more info about their open days and how to book :smile:

You can also look at uni's virtual tours on their website and student profiles and blogs on their social media accounts to hear from students. Or head over to unibuddy and you can chat to current students directly online and ask them what it's really like to study said course.

If you have multiple interests, consider looking into combined/interdisciplinary courses, giving you a broader skill set and potentially opening up more career opportunities.

At your college you could book an appointment with a career adviser who can help you through your decision-making process, provide resources, help explore all your options.

Remember, it's okay to feel uncertain or change your mind. Many students start their university journey with an open mind and discover new interests along the way. I wish you the very best of luck with your decision, make sure it's the right decision for you, and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic university experience! Good luck :smile:

Becky

Some useful resources:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Have you considered vocational degrees to qualify as an Allied Health Professional? For example, speech and language therapy, diagnostic or threpaeutic radiography, orthoptics, etc. More info here:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/

Are there any topics within bio or psych that you do enjoy?

What about things you find yourself looking into in your free time? Any topics or subjects that you seek out podcasts/documentaries on or end up down a wikipedia black hole reading about?
Original post by University of Bradford

I know choosing a course to study at uni can be such a hard decision to make! I'd say reflect on your interests, hobbies, subjects you have a passion for, then look into various different fields of study and explore the course information - modules, subjects, skills covered.

Then I'd deffo say attend university open days! That way you can speak to the lecturers who'd be teaching you, chat to current students on the course and ask any burning questions you have. If you take a look at universities websites you'll be able to find more info about their open days and how to book :smile:

You can also look at uni's virtual tours on their website and student profiles and blogs on their social media accounts to hear from students. Or head over to unibuddy and you can chat to current students directly online and ask them what it's really like to study said course.

If you have multiple interests, consider looking into combined/interdisciplinary courses, giving you a broader skill set and potentially opening up more career opportunities.

At your college you could book an appointment with a career adviser who can help you through your decision-making process, provide resources, help explore all your options.

Remember, it's okay to feel uncertain or change your mind. Many students start their university journey with an open mind and discover new interests along the way. I wish you the very best of luck with your decision, make sure it's the right decision for you, and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic university experience! Good luck :smile:

Becky

Im good thank you 😊how are you
thank you so much for the advice
I'm going to as many uni open days as possible! and have also spoken to graduates from different courses and It definitely helped me
Im good thank you 😊how are you
thank you so much for the advice
I'm going to as many uni open days as possible! and have also spoken to graduates from different courses and It definitely helped me

I'm good thank you! And that's great to hear :smile:

I'm sure you'll gain a lot from attending open days, so that'll really help with your decision.

Becky

Hi @avenging-lifelin

I actually took A-levels in Biology and Psychology and I chose to do a degree in Educational Psychology :smile: Have you considered the different types of Psychology that you would maybe enjoy? For example, you could consider Psychology and Criminology or Sport & Exercise Psychology.

Here are some other thoughts I had of courses that you may enjoy:

- Counselling and psychotherapy
- Nutrition and Health
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health & Wellbeing
- Operating Department Practice
- Health and Social Care
- Paramedic Practice

I would consider attending Open Days of the universities you are considering as they will often have subject talks and taster days where you can speak to lecturers and students about the course to deicide what you want to study :smile:

I know making the decision of what to study at university is so hard so make sure to take your time and do what's right for you.

Good luck!

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student
Original post by University of Bradford

Becky

Thank you for the advice! :smile: over the last few weeks i have been looking into audiology courses and criminology courses as they have sparked an interest in me! i spoke with some students at different unis about criminology and it sounds so interesting! unfortunately the only Uni I have found in London that offers audiology so far is UCL. however i am still looking. thank you for all the advice. I was also wondering if there is any work experience opportunities, lectures or podcasts that you recommend for me in the audiology or criminology areas. thank you!
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @avenging-lifelin

I actually took A-levels in Biology and Psychology and I chose to do a degree in Educational Psychology :smile: Have you considered the different types of Psychology that you would maybe enjoy? For example, you could consider Psychology and Criminology or Sport & Exercise Psychology.

Here are some other thoughts I had of courses that you may enjoy:

- Counselling and psychotherapy
- Nutrition and Health
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health & Wellbeing
- Operating Department Practice
- Health and Social Care
- Paramedic Practice

I would consider attending Open Days of the universities you are considering as they will often have subject talks and taster days where you can speak to lecturers and students about the course to deicide what you want to study :smile:

I know making the decision of what to study at university is so hard so make sure to take your time and do what's right for you.

Good luck!

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student

hi Katie, thank you for the advice. I have attended open days and spoken to students studying criminology and psychology and it has really helped me! I think I will definitely be looing more into criminology courses now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest