The Student Room Group

What Uni degree to take with these A-levels?

Besides the obvious ones likes Medicine or Dentistry.

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-History

-Possibly Maths instead of Biology.

Thanks.
Any of the straight sciences and degrees relating to the straight sciences (biomedical sciences etc). Engineering (if you switch bio for maths) and all the related engineeringy degrees (mech, chem). And degrees that don't require specific subjects but like a mix, such as philosophy and law.
You will open up far more options for yourself, particularly within engineering and the physical sciences, if you choose maths over biology.

However, if you prefer life sciences, then you would be better off dropping physics and picking up maths instead.

If you wish to keep the engineering, physical sciences and life sciences routes open, then you'll need to swap history for maths.

Assuming that you continue to want to take a degree in the sciences or engineering, you'll need to drop history after AS (or keep all four onto A2).
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
You will open up far more options for yourself, particularly within engineering and the physical sciences, if you choose maths over biology.

However, if you prefer life sciences, then you would be better off dropping physics and picking up maths instead.

If you wish to keep the engineering, physical sciences and life sciences routes open, then you'll need to swap history for maths.

Assuming that you continue to want to take a degree in the sciences or engineering, you'll need to drop history after AS (or keep all four onto A2).

Although I got an A* in Maths GCSE, I think it would be such a headache to take it on as an A-level along with the three sciences - especially if I do A2 Maths.

Here's what I'm thinking though: I could take Maths instead of Biology to do engineering, although I'm not sure what type of engineering and I hear it's very stressful, or I could do Law, I think. The problem with Law is that I think I need to take English to do it and there's so many Lawyers nowadays that finding a job would be difficult. I am so stuck. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
If you don't want to do med or dentistry or biomed then you don't need to take biology. Maths is probably a better option as it will keep your engineering route open.
Reply 5
Original post by Lunch_Box
If you don't want to do med or dentistry or biomed then you don't need to take biology. Maths is probably a better option as it will keep your engineering route open.

Medicine is too much for me. but Dentistry is an option I want open. Does engineering involve lots of communication and perhaps leading a team or something? I don't really know what the work environment is like.
Original post by zzFishstick
Although I got an A* in Maths GCSE, I think it would be such a headache to take it on as an A-level along with the three sciences - especially if I do A2 Maths.

Here's what I'm thinking though: I could take Maths instead of Biology to do engineering, although I'm not sure what type of engineering and I hear it's very stressful, or I could do Law, I think. The problem with Law is that I think I need to take English to do it and there's so many Lawyers nowadays that finding a job would be difficult. I am so stuck. :s-smilie:

There's enough time to decide what branch of engineering you might like to go into - you've got a whole year before you get anywhere near filling in a UCAS form. Engineering is hard work, but I don't think it's any more stressful than other subjects per se. All degrees are stressful at one point or another!

You don't need to take English to study law, but you will need to do an academically solid essay based subject; history fits the bill for this. You will often find that law departments value the logical nature of scientific subjects, so whilst you don't have a 'classic' set of A Levels for law (i.e. History, English and Politics), I don't think there's any reason why it should hold you back in this regard.

You are, however, correct about the market for law graduates being at saturation point. Training contracts and pupillages are like hen's teeth, and many graduates go into other sectors after graduating. However, that's not to say that there's anything wrong with going into another sector following a law degree - law graduates are in demand outside of law firms, and it is a fundamentally academic (not vocational) degree, rather like history or English. The vocational bit comes later, with the LPC / BPTC.

But I digress. If you want to keep your options for engineering, physical sciences and law open, then chemistry, physics, maths and history will be your best bet from what you've said.

Quick Reply

Latest