The Student Room Group

a level options as a year 11

i'm year 11 and i am unsure about what a levels to take.
i'm interesting in psychology so if i take psychology at a level should i also take another science such as biology? would it be helpful because im scared if i take all humanities and arts subjects i'll regret it when it comes to applying for university.

as a side note, i think i want to study english literature, psychology and biology or sociology or both idk (but if i took 4 a levels then i'd probably drop one at the end of the first year?). please could someone help !
Original post by jazzlover57
i'm year 11 and i am unsure about what a levels to take.
i'm interesting in psychology so if i take psychology at a level should i also take another science such as biology? would it be helpful because im scared if i take all humanities and arts subjects i'll regret it when it comes to applying for university.

as a side note, i think i want to study english literature, psychology and biology or sociology or both idk (but if i took 4 a levels then i'd probably drop one at the end of the first year?). please could someone help !

Questions that I have, in order of importance:

What career(s) do you want to do? If you don't know what sort of career(s) you want, do you know what you can see yourself doing day in day out and not get bored of it?

Does the career require you to have a specific degree? If so, what is it and what are the conditions e.g. does it need to be approved by a professional body? If it doesn't require a degree of any kind, does it require a specific qualification or apprenticeship? If not, will it matter if you did a degree in any subject or not even go to uni at all?

What are the specific degrees you are looking at? What are their entry requirements?

If you want to maximise the number of degrees you want to go into within your chosen disciplines, which A Level subjects do you need?

Are you confident in scoring high grades in the subjects that you chose?

Why did you choose the subjects that you chose? Are they necessary? If not, are you willing to read/study the nonmandatory ones outside of college and uni? If you want to study them outside of college, would you absolutely need to do practical assessments/coursework for them?

What subjects do you have the most interests in the most? Have you looked at the specification, exam papers, and mark schemes for the subjects?

Does your college have good teachers? What is the feedback on the specific subjects at those colleges?

Worst case scenario: are you willing to do a gap year to do extra subjects in case you don't meet the necessary entry requirements of your chosen degree?

We don't randomly pick subjects we like at A Level and hope that they are enough to get into uni. We do a lot more thinking before we make our choices. Without knowing further, it's like throwing darts at a wall blindfolded.

If you can elaborate on the above, I might be able to help you more.

Quick Reply

Latest