The Student Room Group

Gap year or degree apprenticeship

Hi, I’m currently just finished my Alevels and I’m unhappy with my grades unfortunately been rejected by my firm and insurance I planned to do computer science.

I’ve been left with 2 options:
1. Take a gap year and resit my Alevels and reapply to unis and degree apprenticeships.
2. Take up an degree apprenticeship in digital technology solutions that I have been given. During this time I study to retake my Alevels. Leave after a year and go to another apprenticeship or go off to uni. As I’ll also be reapplying to unis and degree apprenticeships.

My fear is missing my offer again and not having a back up if I take a gap year. I know it’s a lot to do a degree apprenticeship and resit and reapply but I feel it is possible. I just want another point of view
Reply 1
Original post by anormalstudent1
Hi, I’m currently just finished my Alevels and I’m unhappy with my grades unfortunately been rejected by my firm and insurance I planned to do computer science.

1. Take a gap year and resit my Alevels and reapply to unis and degree apprenticeships.
2. Take up an degree apprenticeship in digital technology solutions that I have been given. During this time I study to retake my Alevels. Leave after a year and go to another apprenticeship or go off to uni. As I’ll also be reapplying to unis and degree apprenticeships.

My fear is missing my offer again and not having a back up if I take a gap year. I know it’s a lot to do a degree apprenticeship and resit and reapply but I feel it is possible. I just want another point of view

If you take up an apprenticeship you will be working full time and studying for the apprenticeship. Do you really think you can do that and study for A levels and apply for other apprenticeships and university? Especially after previously not doing as well as you needed to with the A levels.

Why not have a think about what you really want to do and just concentrate on achieving that?
Original post by Slowprop
If you take up an apprenticeship you will be working full time and studying for the apprenticeship. Do you really think you can do that and study for A levels and apply for other apprenticeships and university? Especially after previously not doing as well as you needed to with the A levels.

Why not have a think about what you really want to do and just concentrate on achieving that?

Thank you very much. To be honest, I've spent time contemplating the direction of my life, debating between Option 1 and Option 2, and assessing which would yield a more favorable outcome. My aspiration is to earn a degree from a highly regarded university, preferably one within the Russell Group. This could be achieved either through a degree apprenticeship opportunity at such an institution or by directly attending a university to study Computer Science.

I've come to the realisation that pursuing the degree apprenticeship route would likely leave me with insufficient time to prepare for my A-level exams, while also juggling applications for other degree apprenticeships and universities. It would be better to allocate that time towards focused revision and the potential of retaking the necessary exams.
Thank you very much. To be honest, I've spent time contemplating the direction of my life, debating between Option 1 and Option 2, and assessing which would yield a more favorable outcome. My aspiration is to earn a degree from a highly regarded university, preferably one within the Russell Group. This could be achieved either through a degree apprenticeship opportunity at such an institution or by directly attending a university to study Computer Science.

I've come to the realisation that pursuing the degree apprenticeship route would likely leave me with insufficient time to prepare for my A-level exams, while also juggling applications for other degree apprenticeships and universities. It would be better to allocate that time towards focused revision and the potential of retaking the necessary exams.

Yes, it is best to take the gap year and resit. Rebuild a strong foundation, not to be lost in uncertaincy
Reply 4

If that's what you've decided you really want to do then go for it. However I think it would be a good idea to have a plan B in place just in case you don't get the RG University offer.
Reply 5

Currently in the same situation as you, im going to resit my a-levels and take the gap to apply to better unis and degree apprenticeships. Nice to see someone in my position. In that time im pretty sure we can build something great to show for our interviews at both unis and apprenticeships.
Original post by Alisko
Currently in the same situation as you, im going to resit my a-levels and take the gap to apply to better unis and degree apprenticeships. Nice to see someone in my position. In that time im pretty sure we can build something great to show for our interviews at both unis and apprenticeships.

Have you considered a foundation year
Reply 7
Original post by B7861
Have you considered a foundation year

Not really i was more looking into courses that offered a year in placement for my uni options as this would mean i could rack up some experience before applying to jobs in the real world.
Original post by Alisko

Hey I sent you a private message, it feels a lot less stressful knowing there’s someone in a similar position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending