The Student Room Group

Maths grade question

Hello basically in maths so far i got high D in core 1 high C in core 2 and E in mech 1 (which I'm ressiting) , is there a chance if I do well next year in core 3 and 4 and decision 1 that I could get a B overall ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is your UMS for AS Maths?
Original post by DanScott96
Hello basically in maths so far i got high D in core 1 high C in core 2 and E in mech 1 (which I'm ressiting) , is there a chance if I do well next year in core 3 and 4 and decision 1 that I could get a B overall ?

There's definitely a chance you could get a B or even higher, but I think it'd be best if you also retook your other AS maths exams too and worked extremely hard Lots of practice by doing as much past papers will hopefully do the trick! Lots of success stories on TSR, who's to say you're not another one!

Good luck and all the best and I hope you get what you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You really need to get to grips with C1 & C2 though to give yourself the best chance of understanding C3 & C4.

You will need to average a minimum of 85% on C3, C4 and D1 (ignoring any resits) and this is improbable given your performance this year. Once you have taken C3 and C4, C1 will seem relatively easy so can I suggest you resit this as well?
Reply 5
Ok thanks for the advice I'm definitely aiming for an A in mech resit and if I can I will do core 1 I've heard decision isn't that bad aswell , is that true
Ok thanks for the advice I'm definitely aiming for an A in mech resit and if I can I will do core 1 I've heard decision isn't that bad aswell , is that true

E to an A in mechanics? Is there any reason why you might expect such a drastic improvement?

D1 isn't bad at all although the questions can be very wordy and some students struggle to figure out what they are expected to do.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
E to an A in mechanics? Is there any reason why you might expect such a drastic improvement?

D1 isn't bad at all although the questions can be very wordy and some students struggle to figure out what they are expected to do.

In mechanics I went from U to an A. Most people in my class didn't understand it when learning it the first time around (only 2 people got A/B, the rest got Us). I personally had some sort of a mental block at the beginning of AS and only later everything clicked and started to make sense. But I still got a B in C1 the first time around.

A lot of people go from U/E to A/B because they were lazy the first time around or overly confident, and only start to revise for the retake. Whether or not op can improve this much depends on how much work he put into these exams.

D1 is not hard but it's also one of those exams that are impossible to get full marks on, it is really easy to make mistakes on it.

For revision, once you think you understand everything I recommend doing at least one past paper a week (per module). Get your teacher to mark them and explain anything you couldn't do. I found this extremely helpful when my teacher forced us to do this, and I will definitely continue this at uni.
Original post by Nadile
A lot of Very few people go from U/E to A/B

Fixed that for you.

:wink:
Reply 9

If you're aiming for a B, i'd highly recommend resitting all the modules. Doing core 3 and core 4 will make core 1+2 look likes childs play, and if you can do core 3 and 4 you will be able to do alot better in core 1+2. Decision is a hard module. The content is easy but the exam is often unpredictable and awkward. You'll either love it or hate it. Good luck to you :smile:
Original post by Mr M
Fixed that for you.

Agreed

As for the OP.
Anything is possible within reason.
If you truly are pulling low UMS scores in C1/C2 though when effort is being put in I would doubt it unless something changes in y13.
Reply 11
Being honest in AS I did not put as much effort in to it until the very end and that reflects my core 2 score which was my last exam , from the beginning of this year 100% will be Put in so I can get a B thanks for tip on doing a paper and then getting marked by a teacher I believe that will help
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M
Fixed that for you.

Fair enough, "a lot" is too much but so is "very few", or at least that was the case in my school. Many people didn't treat their first AS exams seriously after finding GCSE extremely easy despite being told it's going to be hard. They would only start to do the work after the shock of failing January exams, hence many people going from U/E to A/B. But still it's only the case with people who failed due to laziness.
Original post by Nadile
Fair enough, "a lot" is too much but so is "very few", or at least that was the case in my school. Many people didn't treat their first AS exams seriously after finding GCSE extremely easy despite being told it's going to be hard. They would only start to do the work after the shock of failing January exams, hence many people going from U/E to A/B. But still it's only the case with people who failed due to laziness.

The improvements you describe are very unusual. Importantly, the removal of January exams has reduced the opportunities for students to improve.
Reply 14
Original post by Mr M
the removal of January exams has reduced the opportunities for students to improve.

That's not really what you meant to say is it? The removal of January exams has placed more emphasis on students taking ownership of their own learning, but there's nothing to stop them doing past papers and self-marking, or even (dare I say it?) going to a teacher and saying "Sir, I've tried this C1 paper, could you mark it for me?"

Do schools no longer run mock exams to benchmark students' progress (just asking, I have no knowledge of the current practices!)?
Reply 15
Original post by davros
That's not really what you meant to say is it? The removal of January exams has placed more emphasis on students taking ownership of their own learning, but there's nothing to stop them doing past papers and self-marking, or even (dare I say it?) going to a teacher and saying "Sir, I've tried this C1 paper, could you mark it for me?"

Do schools no longer run mock exams to benchmark students' progress (just asking, I have no knowledge of the current practices!)?

Technically, it has reduced the amount of chances we get to take a paper and take it again, thus reducing our opportunities to improve upon grades we have attained in past exams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Liamnut
Technically, it has reduced the amount of chances we get to take a paper and take it again, thus reducing our opportunities to improve upon grades we have attained in past exams.

I thought that might be the implied meaning, but it's a really strange argument - the idea is that you master the subject, then take an exam when you can do yourself justice, not say "ok, I'll take it every 3 months so I can go U, G, F, E....A", surely???
Original post by davros
I thought that might be the implied meaning, but it's a really strange argument - the idea is that you master the subject, then take an exam when you can do yourself justice, not say "ok, I'll take it every 3 months so I can go U, G, F, E....A", surely???

It was the intended meaning. Doing a couple of resits in January is a different animal to doing them alongside a whole set of A2 exams in the summer.
Reply 18
Original post by Mr M
It was the intended meaning. Doing a couple of resits in January is a different animal to doing them alongside a whole set of A2 exams in the summer.

Very true. But if the 'new' system discourages the "not taking things seriously for AS" attitude as a side effect of having fewer opportunities for retakes, that can only be a good thing, surely?
Reply 19
Original post by Mr M
The improvements you describe are very unusual. Importantly, the removal of January exams has reduced the opportunities for students to improve.

Percentage wise I guess they may be rare when you look at the whole country, I'm just talking about what it was like at my school. There were a lot of people capable of good grades who didn't work for their first AS exams despite having done badly in the mocks.

I'm just wondering since when have January exams been removed? I have not heard of that and thought it depends on the school. My 6th form has gotten rid of them for AS students, with exceptions for those with exam heavy subjects (maths, further maths). At A2 they are still carried out normally.

Quick Reply

Latest