The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it just me or is it really confusing that people are discussing (at least) two different exams on the same thread :s
The coordination number was a one mark q, the drawing was for 2, I think.
Reply 41
shinyhappy
Is it just me or is it really confusing that people are discussing (at least) two different exams on the same thread :s
The coordination number was a one mark q, the drawing was for 2, I think.

yeah i keep thinking, " we didn't have a question like that, did we?" maybe we should have a separate thread for salters?
Reply 42
For the record the hydrazone derivitive was

C6H3(NO2)2--NH--N==C(OH)-CH=CH2
Reply 43
And for the Kc on Unit4 i got something like 6.8x10-4 moldm (cant remeber exactly or what units were)
Reply 44
Prometheus
And for the Kc on Unit4 i got something like 6.8x10-4 moldm (cant remeber exactly or what units were)

did u get 8.75*10-3 for ka?
Reply 45
didnt anyone do the mechanisme in the rate equation like this :

Step1 A+2B--> AB2
Step 2 AB2 + B --> AB3
overall A+3B--> AB3
Step 1 is the rate determining step

i remember my lecturer couple of months back taught us to do this way for this type of question.. Anyone with me on this ?
Reply 46
why didn't the question with ethanoyl chloride need a catalyst??
Reply 47
did u get 8.75*10-3 for ka?

Mebe, i cant remeber, but it seems about right, i got a small number like that and i think it was something like that.
Reply 48
carboxylic acids need h2s04+refluc
ethanoyle chloride doesnt
Reply 49
Step1 A+2B--> AB2
Step 2 AB2 + B --> AB3
overall A+3B--> AB3

Yeh thats what i mean exactly, except thats simpler than mine :-p i had Ds and Es as intermedietary, but it still works the same so should be ok, markschemes tend to say, "any sensible and working mechanism".
Reply 50
gfdsa
didnt anyone do the mechanisme in the rate equation like this :

Step1 A+2B--> AB2
Step 2 AB2 + B --> AB3
overall A+3B--> AB3

i remember my lecturer couple of months back taught us to do this way for this type of question.. Anyone with me on this ?

yeah i did something similar but i drew it out.
Reply 51
Prometheus
Mebe, i cant remeber, but it seems about right, i got a small number like that and i think it was something like that.

yay!!
also did u get moles of the 1st reactant to be0.35/20 at eqm?
tazzalc

electronegative O and CL make C +ve, this makes it very susceptible to nuclephilic attack so low Ea, no catalyst/heat needed.

But i wrote COCl is polar (haha) and so it is more susceptible to nucleophilic attack and so happens at RT without catalyst.

Maybe 1/2 or 2/3 for me whichever it was out of.
Reply 53
Prometheus

i got 50.....or sumthing oooooooooooooopppppps!
Reply 54
also did u get moles of the 1st reactant to be0.35/20 at eqm

Yes that i did get, and the others were 0.15/20 and 0.075/20 i believe
Reply 55
tazzalc

-the compund is trigonal planar
- nucleophile is able to attack from either side of the molecule .
or
-large (+) on carbon atom as attached to 2 highly electronegative atoms . -attracts nucleophile effectively

i think this is it . this is actually part of the unit 4 syllabus i think.
Reply 56
Prometheus
Yes that i did get, and the others were 0.15/20 and 0.075/20 i believe

i gt the rest wrong :frown:
Reply 57
gfdsa
-the compund is trigonal planar
- nucleophile is able to attack from either side of the molecule .
or
-large (+) on carbon atom as attached to 2 highly electronegative atoms . -attracts nucleophile effectively

i think this is it . this is actually part of the unit 4 syllabus i think.

cheers...well i didn't write anythin bout trigonal planar but i said that the carbon atom is delta +ve. I hope that will get me some marks!!
Reply 58
wat did everyone write about that last 1 marker in unit 5. the question something to do with E=2.00V or sumthing like that?
Reply 59
Conditions not standard (i.e. in the car battery its gonna be hot cos of heat from engine)

Latest