The Student Room Group

Abortion laws left 'meaningless' as doctors put 'above the law'

Scroll to see replies

Hmm. I don't know how fair it is to say that there were ABSOLUTELY no other reasons other than the genders of the babies that resulted in the abortions. What if there was something else? For a woman to go forward and request such an abortion, I would think that there's a bigger reason behind it all. Maybe she was being pressured by family/her partner? Who knows...

I'm not saying that it's okay to terminate pregnancies due to this particular reason but its difficult, as ethically there are so many different points to consider. The fact it was two doctors who agreed to it makes me think there's something more behind it all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by The Angry Stoic
I think he's under the impression that by we as a society allowing consenting adults to have sex we are opening the gates for child molesters, people who have sex with animals and well... Anything really.

Original post by shadowdweller
Oh fun, another person who uses that logic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you say so, maybe this discussion is beyond this setting if people struggle to understand basic post content written in English.

Original post by The Angry Stoic
It's not his fault really. Be constantly bombarded from childhood that tells you homosexuality is evil and is worse than sex with animals has that affect on people.

:rolleyes:

Original post by shadowdweller
Yeah I get that. It's just repetitive to argue with

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it. Here's someone who approves of homosexuality, but disapproves of incest homosexuality.

Like, there's no rationality in your thought process.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
I think that the law is wrong, if abortion is legal up to a certain time then it should be legal for whatever reason the mother gives, or even none at all.
Reply 23
Original post by monkyvirus

On the actual case though if it's causing you mental anguish that you are going to have a specific gender of child wouldn't that come under the mental health thing? What do you do with a mother who doesn't want a girl? They are likely to neglect that child or harm them.

I guess we will never know as that child was condemned to foetushood.

The problem if you talk like "this would have happened if the baby was born and we stopped it" is that it no more means you prevented a being from suffering than it means you prevented it from living.

If you had saved a living, walking, breathing being from suffering you would boast about it. If you had saved a living, walking, breathing being from living you would not boast about it.

So I don't think you can boast about saving a child from suffering by abortion.

You can't talk about the child without invalidating your justification of abortion. You only say "the mother was suffering, the foetus was only a bunch of 65536 cells and had no right to life at that point". Talking about what would have happened is never a reason for abortion, only a reason against it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Having said that, surely there is a very very SIMPLE way around this problem.

Make the last legal day of abortion day x. As in x days after pregnancy.

Make the FIRST legal day of tests to determine the properties of the baby day x+1.
Its difficult, because should a doctor refuse to give an abortion; the woman may just go somewhere else and if they're desperate could turn to illegal abortion which carries an enormous risk to the mother. Ultimately you have to weigh up the lesser of two evils.
Reply 26
Original post by Mm_Minty
Blatant attempt at emotional manipulation. Baby girls aren't aborted, female foetuses are

Conversely, a blatant attempt at dehumanising people so as to make it easier to justify their murder simply out of sex preference. Two, it seems, can play that game.

Original post by james22
I think that the law is wrong, if abortion is legal up to a certain time then it should be legal for whatever reason the mother gives, or even none at all.

I'm inclined to agree with that. If indeed you do attribute humanity to foetuses at a certain stage of development, I don't see why you should get away with killing them for fairly cheap reasons. Conversely that would imply if we did have a time limit, anything should be permissible before then.

The current system is philosophically unsatisfactory to everyone really.
Reply 27
Original post by Mousemeastro98
Its difficult, because should a doctor refuse to give an abortion; the woman may just go somewhere else and if they're desperate could turn to illegal abortion which carries an enormous risk to the mother. Ultimately you have to weigh up the lesser of two evils.

It's not really that difficult. Criminalising things can cause harm to people if they choose to break the law. That's true of virtually every crime. We accept that because it is entirely their own culpability. As for going elsewhere, there's more of a habit towards extraterritorial offences in criminal law these days. We could very simply make it a crime to travel abroad with the intent of procuring an abortion which would be unlawful here.

Not that illegal abortion is anywhere near as risky as you're suggesting in most cases these days, but that's besides the point...
Original post by L i b
It's not really that difficult. Criminalising things can cause harm to people if they choose to break the law. That's true of virtually every crime. We accept that because it is entirely their own culpability. As for going elsewhere, there's more of a habit towards extraterritorial offences in criminal law these days. We could very simply make it a crime to travel abroad with the intent of procuring an abortion which would be unlawful here.

Not that illegal abortion is anywhere near as risky as you're suggesting in most cases these days, but that's besides the point...

I realize that, but essentially what I'm trying to say is that the woman should have the choice and not have to resort to breaking the law and risking her life. I know its extreme to consider abortion just because of the gender of the child, but sometimes its for the best. If a woman doesn't want a child, why bring it into the world? As I think someones already said, its only going to be neglected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending