The Student Room Group

Want to be a teacher - where do I start?

I want to be a teacher - where do I start?

I'm 18, turning 19, and this year I finished an IT Level 2 course (distinction*) which I didn't particularly enjoy. I'm now on-board for the level 3 version of that course, but because I didn't enjoy it before, and because I'm not interested in IT career-wise, I don't want to do it.

Instead, I want to be a teacher. As of now, though, I'm obviously too young to teach, and I don't have the relevant qualifications or degrees anyway. I only have a few GCSEs (C English, D Maths, C PE - I'm re-taking maths to get it to a C), and my only other qualifications are PSHE level 1s, and my completion of the Prince's Trust programme.

I don't know what I'd like to teach, if anything in particular. However, I have always wanted to move to Japan to teach English there (I know someone who did), for both personal reasons and because I really enjoy Japan's culture. Of course, working there is just a dream, and right now I need to work at the qualifications and experience that will get me there.

So, what do I do? What course should I be taking instead of IT? This is the college I'm at, http://www.tresham.ac.uk/, but I've looked at its teaching courses and unless I'm mistaken none of them are anything I'm able to do, with my current lack of experience and possibly inadequate qualifications.

Thanks in advance to the replies! Also, before
anyone asks, yes, I have taught before, as part of my work experience at The Prince's Trust, and I really enjoyed it!
Reply 1
Original post by Holty55

I'm 18, turning 19, and this year I finished an IT Level 2 course (distinction*) which I didn't particularly enjoy. I'm now on-board for the level 3 version of that course, but because I didn't enjoy it before, and because I'm not interested in IT career-wise, I don't want to do it.

Instead, I want to be a teacher. As of now, though, I'm obviously too young to teach, and I don't have the relevant qualifications or degrees anyway. I only have a few GCSEs (C English, D Maths, C PE - I'm re-taking maths to get it to a C), and my only other qualifications are PSHE level 1s, and my completion of the Prince's Trust programme.

I don't know what I'd like to teach, if anything in particular. However, I have always wanted to move to Japan to teach English there (I know someone who did), for both personal reasons and because I really enjoy Japan's culture. Of course, working there is just a dream, and right now I need to work at the qualifications and experience that will get me there.

So, what do I do? What course should I be taking instead of IT? This is the college I'm at, http://www.tresham.ac.uk/, but I've looked at its teaching courses and unless I'm mistaken none of them are anything I'm able to do, with my current lack of experience and possibly inadequate qualifications.

anyone asks, yes, I have taught before, as part of my work experience at The Prince's Trust, and I really enjoyed it!

Firest and foremost get work experience. Decide if you want to teach secondary or primary then think about the qualifications you need.
Reply 2
Original post by Holty55

if you do secondary school, you need to specialize in a subject much more than if you were teaching at primary.
Reply 3
Original post by Holty55

Like Shelly said, get some more experience in a range of settings so you can be more certain about what you'd like to teach. Think about:
¬Primary vs secondary vs something other than mainstream school
¬Within that, age or subject e.g. Nursery, Early Years, Key stage 1, Key stage 2, Secondary, Post-compulsory

Resitting the Maths like you already are is a must :smile:

You also need to decide if you definitely want to be a teacher in the normal use of the word. For example, you could work as a TA and while working go to training and gain qualifications for TAs - you could end up being a HLTA (Higher level teaching assistant) who often cover the teaching of classes or teach certain lessons, as well as doing normal TA duties. Would this suit you or would you want to be the main teacher?

Also if you're interested in Nursery, many private nurseries (by which I mean, not joined to schools) don't have Nursery teachers but instead have more Nursery nurses working as a team, and there is good potential there to progress up to room manager etc.

If you think you would like to do a degree then that really would open up your options for teaching, both in the UK and for English abroad. There is lots of info about teaching here:

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching?&gclid=CImtsbj0vLkCFTMftAodT0oAAw

Also, consider speaking to a careers adviser if they are any good at your college!

Good luck!

xxx
There are specific courses available for teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Holty55

If you specifically want to teach just to go to Japan then you should research that. There are specific qualifications for teaching English as a foreign language, such as CELTA. There are also several exchange programs you could do which recruit teachers to do this specifically.
Reply 6
Look at the JET programme if you're interested in Japan. I know someone who's just finished it if you want me to put you in touch with them.

Once you've done that (or something similar), and got your C in Maths, you'll be in an even stronger position going forward if you want to teach in the UK.
Reply 7
Original post by Angelil
Look at the JET programme if you're interested in Japan. I know someone who's just finished it if you want me to put you in touch with them.

Once you've done that (or something similar), and got your C in Maths, you'll be in an even stronger position going forward if you want to teach in the UK.

You need to be a university graduate to apply for the JET Programme.

You also need to be a university graduate to teach in British schools, either through an undergraduate teaching course (BEd, BA/BSc with QTS) or postgraduate teacher training (PGCE, Schools Direct, Teach First).

Your college offers quite a few options that would get you on the route to university. If you're interested in teaching English as a foreign language, a route towards an English Language and Literature degree could be useful for you, and would also present a good basis for either Secondary English or Primary teacher training. Plus, you'd become eligible to apply for JET.

A Levels or an Access Course would be the way to get on that pathway.

TEFL qualifications (Cert.TESOL or CELTA) are usually a one-month full-time course that generally prepares you well for the classroom. I worked as an EFL teacher for two and a half years after taking my Cert.TESOL. It was interesting work, and opened a lot of doors. I remained in the UK, but course-mates are currently out in Asia, the Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe teaching English. By itself the TEFL qualification doesn't put you towards being a classroom teacher in a UK state school, but combined with a degree the experience that a job in TEFL gives you certainly helps support an application towards a PGCE.

I'm sure your college has careers advisers though, and they'd know much better than we internet forumites what your capabilities are and how they can help you achieve your goals.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by varcolac
You need to be a university graduate to apply for the JET Programme.

Didn't know that - oops! Thank you for correcting me though. The rest I did know, but hope it will be helpful to the OP.
Well, a friend of mine did TEFL course from Asian College of Teachers after having a masters degree in political science, with primary teacher training course and 6 months internship in an international school. Now she lives in Qatar and even though she is a non-native, she bagged a good teaching opportunity as a social study teacher aiding the young learners. Just thought of sharing this piece of information, because it is a reality check and TEFL gave her a good exposure because CELTA would have been difficult in her case, without having an advanced knowledge in linguistics similar to masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending