The Student Room Group

Alevel Revision

Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and i need some help revising for Sociology (AQA) and English Literature (AQA) when i do essays in class i’m getting low B’s High C’s which im okay with for now but obviously by year 13 i want to be getting A’s. I have mocks next week and obviously i know i wont get to an A in a week however if anyone has any revision tips please let me know because im really struggling with that at the minute.

For english lit i do Great Gatsby, Love through the ages anthology, Unseen poetry, Othello, Handmaids tale, feminine gospels and streetcar
Reply 1
Physics and maths tutor booklets are SO amazing for literature, they have everything you need in terms of themes, character profiles, context etc. I’ve used this for Gatsby, Love Through the Ages and Othello, it’s really helpful!

For sociology, check out The Sociology Teacher’s website, it has really good revision resources. And for learning content, Revise Sociology is a really good website as well :smile:
Reply 2
For sociology I mainly used the blurting technique, where I’d just write everything I knew down and then add things I didn’t remember in another coloured pen, and continue this process until I remembered a sufficient amount. The hectic teacher also has really good resources so I’d use those to compare my notes to
Original post by ellafaulkner07
Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and i need some help revising for Sociology (AQA) and English Literature (AQA) when i do essays in class i’m getting low B’s High C’s which im okay with for now but obviously by year 13 i want to be getting A’s. I have mocks next week and obviously i know i wont get to an A in a week however if anyone has any revision tips please let me know because im really struggling with that at the minute.

For english lit i do Great Gatsby, Love through the ages anthology, Unseen poetry, Othello, Handmaids tale, feminine gospels and streetcar
Hi! I did A level English and here's what I would say to do!

1) Involve your teacher. Do a past paper to show them you've been putting effort in outside of your class and ask if they can mark it and find time to sit down with you and go over where you can improve. Letting your teacher know you've got an active goal to get an A will help them know to give you some extra support to reach your goal.

2) Make a list of all the texts you're studying and colour them in a traffic light system. Green= confident about this text Yellow= Okay but could do with a look over Red= Praying this doesn't come up in the exam! Then go through the list and start on all your red texts. This will help you be confident in anything that comes up!

3) Use the mocks as practise for exam timings. Go into the exam hall with a plan of how long you want to spend on each question, how long you want to plan each answer etc. Then write down or voice note how you found it afterwards- did you find one question needed more/less time or panic at all? Then you'll know what to correct for the real thing! Don't overthink the grade too much for your mocks, just see them as a plan for improving it!

I hope that helps you! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ellafaulkner07

If you want to practice english literature and english language for the GCSE, you can use this tool: https://www.tilf.io.

The way it works is simple: you add in the question, select the mark scheme and start typing your answer and it gives you feedback on what to improve and the grade based on the exam board you chose. Then you just keep improving the essay until you get the grade you want.

It works with AQA and other exam boards + it works on all questions for macbeth, inspector calls .. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending