The Student Room Group

A-level Computer Science Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the A-level Computer Science Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - Computer Science - 7517

OCR- Computer Science - H446

WJEC - Computer Science

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
OCR
All the theory
Getting work done on coursework

PMT, SmartRevise
Reply 3
AQA
Everything except legal and ethical issues
Nothing much at the moment

Isaaccomputerscience, teach-ict

Hi all, how's everyone's coursework going?
Reply 4
WJEC / Eduqas

Most stuff to be honest.

If i had to say, probably algorithms as i missed most of the lessons.

Official exam board sites with past papers, 'Computer science' Youtube channel, Craig and Dave (YT) and Computer Phile (YT)

Hi 👋, just thought, wouldnt hurt to join would it? How is everyone?
hi there, im in year 12 and really anxious about the a level. Even tho im not as competent on the programming side of things, i know i just have to keep it consistent and it will eventually get better. As for theory, what resources helped you the most and how did you revise. Because the OCR Mark schemes and exam papers are so different and specific compared to what we learn in the class with the PG Online powerpoints.
Original post by hmustafax06
hi there, im in year 12 and really anxious about the a level. Even tho im not as competent on the programming side of things, i know i just have to keep it consistent and it will eventually get better. As for theory, what resources helped you the most and how did you revise. Because the OCR Mark schemes and exam papers are so different and specific compared to what we learn in the class with the PG Online powerpoints.

Honestly, the PG Online powerpoints are pretty useless, I base my revision off only the textbook, and that's got me predicted an A*, so my advice is ignore the powerpoints and focus on the textbooks. Can't hurt to look at markschemes too.
Reply 7
Is there a forum or anywhere where we can discuss the AQA preliminary material for paper 1?
hi all, im doing OCR and im in year 13 rn, my paper 1 mock is tomorrow lol. just curious as to what people are doing their nea projects on and which language and platform are they coding on?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by tendoushairdye
hi all, im doing OCR and im in year 13 rn, my paper 1 mock is tomorrow lol. just curious as to what people are doing their nea projects on and which language and platform are they coding on?

Hi
I'm using Java. Already handed my NEA in, the code was an IDE for the Forth programming language. What's yours?
Hello everyone! :smile:
How is your revision going? Anyone come across anything useful they think it would be helpful to share here? Anyone got something they're struggling with?

A Level Computer Science Study Group

Hey all! I'm in year 12 with my exam in June I'm doing Pearson btec. I'm currently predicted a pass and find it difficult to find ways to revise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by KenzyK27
Hey all! I'm in year 12 with my exam in June I'm doing Pearson btec. I'm currently predicted a pass and find it difficult to find ways to revise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dawg is predicted a pass in BTEC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB4yon62GPA&list=PLt_K63PuRoWFc3lb8aLbPbmwplbCjZO1i - This is a link to Computer Science YouTube videos where the teacher works through previous questions so that you can see the break down.

If you search up 'Ray Chambers' on itunes there is an irish dance teacher / computer science teacher that has released podcasts of all of the paper 2 specification which will help with revision.
Original post by KenzyK27

Try sites like isaaccomputerscience.org, they seem pretty good
Hi, I'm struggling with finding VB.Net resources particularly for OOP so I can prepare better for the exam on monday. Anyone have any advice?
Reply 16
Hey guys! I'm currently in year 12, and we are beginning our plans for our computer science NEAs. And I have realised that I CAN'T CODE AT ALL. So far I've been using the method of 'fake it till you make it' and honestly, I prefer the theory side to it all. But I'm really scared for my nea because I have no confidence in my coding skills, and I don't think I'll be able to learn coding within a year :'(. SOMEONE HELP! (my nea is based around an adaptive quizzing tool).
Reply 17
Original post by Plop345
Hey guys! I'm currently in year 12, and we are beginning our plans for our computer science NEAs. And I have realised that I CAN'T CODE AT ALL. So far I've been using the method of 'fake it till you make it' and honestly, I prefer the theory side to it all. But I'm really scared for my nea because I have no confidence in my coding skills, and I don't think I'll be able to learn coding within a year :'(. SOMEONE HELP! (my nea is based around an adaptive quizzing tool).

Don't worry!! I was pretty rubbish at coding myself, but I manged to pull it up somehow and I got a 61/70. Just ensure that you plan out each and every module and its functionalities, how it will work, the variables used, how it will look as a GUI, the other modules that it will be connected to. Plan every little thing for every single module. Break it down as much as possible. Do it on paper or online (This is a form of decomposition!) . This is the first stage. Once you do this, you can see that each section is easily solvable using simple types of coding. This can be done by searching on YouTube, or the internet ( geeksforgeeks, is a good website) for that specific functionality ( obviously don't literally copy it), to implement in your own work. Just remember to start early. Even if you don't start to code immediately, ensure that the first stage, that is mentioned above, is completed when your Analysis section is also completed, at the very latest. This puts you in a good place, where you know exactly where you want to go with your project, and you won't be stressed on exactly where to start because you have it all planned out. The project will look less daunting because you just have to focus on each section bit by bit, consistently. Another tip is used to past examples of A* projects, for the layout of how the examiners expect the documentation to be. Just follow a framework that you find the most easy to understand. Another tip would be to use the project specification (can be found on the exam board website) as checklist. In your documentation, ensure that each section is fully completed, with every point on the specification. The last tip would be to use your teachers! I was lucky to have really good teachers who would set up up a meeting at every stage (Analysis, Design, Development and Evaluation). Just getting feedback from your teachers will really allow you to see where you can improve from a different perspective. That's all for now, to get you started. Of course there are many more, but stick to these and you will be fine! I was in hospital for 6 weeks and missed around a term for yr 13, so I was really behind on this project. But through lots of hard work and through lots of tears and prayers, I managed to pull through. So can you! Good Luck!
Reply 18
Original post by rabraham
Don't worry!! I was pretty rubbish at coding myself, but I manged to pull it up somehow and I got a 61/70. Just ensure that you plan out each and every module and its functionalities, how it will work, the variables used, how it will look as a GUI, the other modules that it will be connected to. Plan every little thing for every single module. Break it down as much as possible. Do it on paper or online (This is a form of decomposition!) . This is the first stage. Once you do this, you can see that each section is easily solvable using simple types of coding. This can be done by searching on YouTube, or the internet ( geeksforgeeks, is a good website) for that specific functionality ( obviously don't literally copy it), to implement in your own work. Just remember to start early. Even if you don't start to code immediately, ensure that the first stage, that is mentioned above, is completed when your Analysis section is also completed, at the very latest. This puts you in a good place, where you know exactly where you want to go with your project, and you won't be stressed on exactly where to start because you have it all planned out. The project will look less daunting because you just have to focus on each section bit by bit, consistently. Another tip is used to past examples of A* projects, for the layout of how the examiners expect the documentation to be. Just follow a framework that you find the most easy to understand. Another tip would be to use the project specification (can be found on the exam board website) as checklist. In your documentation, ensure that each section is fully completed, with every point on the specification. The last tip would be to use your teachers! I was lucky to have really good teachers who would set up up a meeting at every stage (Analysis, Design, Development and Evaluation). Just getting feedback from your teachers will really allow you to see where you can improve from a different perspective. That's all for now, to get you started. Of course there are many more, but stick to these and you will be fine! I was in hospital for 6 weeks and missed around a term for yr 13, so I was really behind on this project. But through lots of hard work and through lots of tears and prayers, I managed to pull through. So can you! Good Luck!

Thank you so much!! : ))
have a friend who's taking a levels independently at a centre, and they were wondering whether to enter Java or Python (these two have the most resources of the available languages). the decision is more so dependent on whatever is an "easier" language to study, learn and use for paper 1. any suggestions or advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending