The Student Room Group

Yet another Physics question

Hi all - thanks for answering my last few questions. I hope i get better as time goes by but i'm stuck again on question 4a page 69 AQA AS Physics A.

Calculate the pd and current for each resistor and diode shown below.

I have managed to get:

Q: 0.6V, 0.06mA

X: 0.6v, ?????A

P: 2.4V, 0.48mA

Y: 2.4v, 0A.

The answer for X's current is 0.46mA, but i just can't see where the answers coming from. Thanks

The sum of the currents through Q and X must equal the sum of the currents through P and Y

The sum for P and Y is 0.48mA
If they are the correct answers (and the value for Q) then the current through X is 0.48mA - 0.06mA
This gives 0.42mA

I have no way of checking if your answers are correct for the other parts as you have not provided the whole question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
The sum of the currents through Q and X must equal the sum of the currents through P and Y

The sum for P and Y is 0.48mA
If they are the correct answers (and the value for Q) then the current through X is 0.48mA - 0.06mA
This gives 0.42mA

I have no way of checking if your answers are correct for the other parts as you have not provided the whole question.

Yes sorry that is the right answer thanks.

is that a rule we must learn? I'm not that familiar with it, it would be great if you could point me to some extra information on that!
Original post by physicso
Yes sorry that is the right answer thanks.

is that a rule we must learn? I'm not that familiar with it, it would be great if you could point me to some extra information on that!

It's just common sense.

If the current flowing round the main circuit splits in two, as it does in P and Y, then the sum of the currents in P and Y must equal the main current. Current doesn't disappear.
The current then comes back together and then splits through Q and X.
So the sum of the currents in Q and X must equal the main current in the circuit.

As you have found the currents in P and Y and the sum is 0.48mA, then that is the current flowing round the main circuit and through the battery. So if it splits in Q and X and you know one of those currents (Q), you can find the other.

The rule is that current doesn't disappear at a point where a circuit divides. Some call this Kirchhoff's 1st Circuit Rule.
Reply 4
Original post by Stonebridge
It's just common sense.

If the current flowing round the main circuit splits in two, as it does in P and Y, then the sum of the currents in P and Y must equal the main current. Current doesn't disappear.
The current then comes back together and then splits through Q and X.
So the sum of the currents in Q and X must equal the main current in the circuit.

As you have found the currents in P and Y and the sum is 0.48mA, then that is the current flowing round the main circuit and through the battery. So if it splits in Q and X and you know one of those currents (Q), you can find the other.

The rule is that current doesn't disappear at a point where a circuit divides. Some call this Kirchhoff's 1st Circuit Rule.

Thanks. Yeah just read up on it now!

If i could, do you know any easy way of distinguishing between the positive and negative ends of a potential divider?
Original post by physicso
Thanks. Yeah just read up on it now!

If i could, do you know any easy way of distinguishing between the positive and negative ends of a potential divider?

The positive end will be the one nearest the positive terminal of the battery.

Quick Reply

Latest