The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxford for post graduate study with a low upper second

Hello, I'd like to do a course in Medical Physics with Radiotherapy at Oxford. I have a huge interest in the field, I tailored alot of my undergraduate to it, choosing closely or loosely related lab projects and modules and writing a literature review style piece relating to a question of interest. I also now work in medical physics clinically and have completed a research project over the summer where I was involved in the very early R&D of a novel imaging system with an international group.

However, I didn't do the best in my undergraduate and achieved a low 2:1 (and I'm talking lowest of the low). This was for a few reasons but there's no point droning on about them and dwelling. I am hoping with my range of experience and (hopefully) clear passion for the subject I may make it. I have applied and am more anxious now then I was working on it. I hope to apply for more unis but I am very enticed by this particular course and there are great funding opportunities at Oxford.. there's only so much a person can save in this economic climate.

What do you think of my chances? Have you had a similar circumstance and how did it pan out?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I'd like to do a course in Medical Physics with Radiotherapy at Oxford. I have a huge interest in the field, I tailored alot of my undergraduate to it, choosing closely or loosely related lab projects and modules and writing a literature review style piece relating to a question of interest. I also now work in medical physics clinically and have completed a research project over the summer where I was involved in the very early R&D of a novel imaging system with an international group.

However, I didn't do the best in my undergraduate and achieved a low 2:1 (and I'm talking lowest of the low). This was for a few reasons but there's no point droning on about them and dwelling. I am hoping with my range of experience and (hopefully) clear passion for the subject I may make it. I have applied and am more anxious now then I was working on it. I hope to apply for more unis but I am very enticed by this particular course and there are great funding opportunities at Oxford.. there's only so much a person can save in this economic climate.

What do you think of my chances? Have you had a similar circumstance and how did it pan out?

It's a fairly niche course, so they perhaps won't have floods of applicants. You've got good post degree experience, though I guess it will depend whether that's months or years, you don't give a timeline. Five years post UG, it probably won't be an issue, 5 months post then it might still be.

PG funding is always competitive, butgenerally Ox and Cam have more than most, and anything medical has more than most. You have to explore all options and see if you get lucky.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
It's a fairly niche course, so they perhaps won't have floods of applicants. You've got good post degree experience, though I guess it will depend whether that's months or years, you don't give a timeline. Five years post UG, it probably won't be an issue, 5 months post then it might still be.

PG funding is always competitive, butgenerally Ox and Cam have more than most, and anything medical has more than most. You have to explore all options and see if you get lucky.

Clinical work will be for a year and the research project was about 3 months which isn't long but I did quite alot in that time as I was 'all in'. Hopefully my personal statement and the relevant reference convey that.

Funding is just a whole other headache haha. Exploring all internal and external funding options.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1

Whoops *with Radiobiology
Hey! I’m also in a similar spot. Got low 2:1, did a research project for my final year about novel methods of medical imaging and now working in nuclear medicine for a year. Feels like your post could have been written by me lol
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hey! I’m also in a similar spot. Got low 2:1, did a research project for my final year about novel methods of medical imaging and now working in nuclear medicine for a year. Feels like your post could have been written by me lol

Oh dear.. same boat floating in a sea of anxiety then hehe. Best of luck to you! I hope you're enjoying the year in Nuc Med.
Yes lots of anxiety… good luck to you too mate
Hey man hope you’re doing good - any news on your application?
Reply 8
Hey man hope you’re doing good - any news on your application?

Nope.. anything on your side yet?
Nope.. anything on your side yet?

Nah sorry mate, haven’t sent off the application just yet - waiting on a few things. Was just curious about how long they take to get back to you! Hope your medical physics job is going okay.
Reply 10
Nah sorry mate, haven’t sent off the application just yet - waiting on a few things. Was just curious about how long they take to get back to you! Hope your medical physics job is going okay.

You must be talking about another course then. The deadline for this one was the 1st of December.
Reply 11
You must be talking about another course then. The deadline for this one was the 1st of December.

Oh nevermind.. they seem to have kept applications open past then. Couldn't have got many applications yet then haha.
Oh nevermind.. they seem to have kept applications open past then. Couldn't have got many applications yet then haha.

Yeah I’m not as concerned about funding so don’t mind waiting until after the December deadline. Based off the Wayback Machine the proper course deadline last year was mid-March so we’ll see.
Reply 13
Did anyone hear anything back about this course? Im currently in my second year of undergrad and thinking of applying for my masters...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending