The Student Room Group

Guy wants UK uni fees to go up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Катя
I'm assuming he/she lives in London already and so the theory is that he/she will save money on accommodation?

Yeah I live in London and accommodation's over 100 per week. So a better bet is to stay at home rather than pay that with 9 grand every year
Reply 21
The cost to my university of my education is not covered by the fees that I pay.
Hahaha nooo I'd love to go to Swansea for uni but I'll try my luck out with Imperial
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Hey guys, this was in the news today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24771452 and I was wondering, what do you guys make of it?

I would kick his ass silly if I found him
Well you have a point there but £8250 for 3 years is still a debt hard enough to get on the property ladder

How does the debt stop getting you a house?It doesn't work like normal debts and doesn't affect your credit rating and you only have to pay the debt back slowly or not at all if you are earning less than £21,000.What university fees are is really Graduate Job Tax.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by siwelmail
I would kick his ass silly if I found him

He's in Surrey University
Yeah I live in London and accommodation's over 100 per week. So a better bet is to stay at home rather than pay that with 9 grand every year

You don't pay it upfront:confused:You must think the country is very rich for about half of the population of the country that go to university to be able to afford £9,000 per year.
Original post by Dalek1099
You don't pay it upfront:confused:

I know but I don't want to get out of uni with that debt on my head..Yeah I'll only pay back bit by bit but it's going to be there for so long.
I know but I don't want to get out of uni with that debt on my head..Yeah I'll only pay back bit by bit but it's going to be there for so long.

Its not like a bank loan though its not actually really debt its more like a Tax, it doesn't appear on credit records.
I want to do electrical and electronic engineering..thanks!!! xx
Reply 30
Labour never considered trebling tuition fees like the Conservatives. I want to go to Swansea Uni to do engineering but it looks like I'll have to go for somewhere in London now :frown:

why london it seems more expensive?
Original post by emski
why london it seems more expensive?

Stay at home and go to a London uni (I live in London)
i dont mind if it goes up...as long as he pays for it.
Reply 33
Stay at home and go to a London uni (I live in London)

ah fair enough.. is it the uni accomodation fees?
Original post by emski
ah fair enough.. is it the uni accomodation fees?

yeah its over 120 quid per week
I graduated almost a decade ago and am still paying- back my old loan which was only about £12k in total, so goodness knows how the younger generation will manage...

The Bice Chancellor in the article is a twit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well you have a point there but £8250 for 3 years is still a debt hard enough to get on the property ladder

It doesn't "count" as debt if that helps ie: it's not held against you when you want to get a house
Reply 37
yeah its over 120 quid per week

mine is slightly higher
Original post by emski
mine is slightly higher

That's like the minimum. In other places, a decent room is like 60 pounds
You have to remember just a couple of weeks ago, the PM was willing to spend Billions to go to war with Syria yet we dont have enough to subsidise higher education. Obviously the government and the men at the top dont run this country for your interests, were merely slaves for their ends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending