The Student Room Group

Med tuition fee

Guys I am starting a medicine degree in the uk as international student this September. My tuition fee is going to be around £45,000 which is a lot. Before applying, I mentioned this to my parents many times that tuition fees for medicine in the UK is really high and they never took me seriously (they thought that maybe I can’t get into medicine in the UK and use this as an excuse but in reality I was actually worried about tuition fee and thought of studying medicine somewhere else).

But when I realized that they think I can’t get into medicine in the UK I thought I shouldn’t care about tuition fee and made an application.

Later on my dad taunt me in a very bad way that he had paid a lot for me compared to my sisters. And made me feel like my sisters are smarter than me but they never asked for anything. However this is not true as I have always been a bright student in school and way hardworking compared to my sisters (they’ve hardly passed college) and I never demand my parents to study abroad in fact I got full scholarship to study engineering in my home country but my parents were like they want me to become a doctor.

I just can’t get over the fact that my tuition fee is going to that high and that I’ll have to ask my dad for if for 5 years. This thought is almost always on my mind !!
Original post by Anonymous
Guys I am starting a medicine degree in the uk as international student this September. My tuition fee is going to be around £45,000 which is a lot. Before applying, I mentioned this to my parents many times that tuition fees for medicine in the UK is really high and they never took me seriously (they thought that maybe I can’t get into medicine in the UK and use this as an excuse but in reality I was actually worried about tuition fee and thought of studying medicine somewhere else).

But when I realized that they think I can’t get into medicine in the UK I thought I shouldn’t care about tuition fee and made an application.

Later on my dad taunt me in a very bad way that he had paid a lot for me compared to my sisters. And made me feel like my sisters are smarter than me but they never asked for anything. However this is not true as I have always been a bright student in school and way hardworking compared to my sisters (they’ve hardly passed college) and I never demand my parents to study abroad in fact I got full scholarship to study engineering in my home country but my parents were like they want me to become a doctor.

I just can’t get over the fact that my tuition fee is going to that high and that I’ll have to ask my dad for if for 5 years. This thought is almost always on my mind !!

You mention getting a full scholarship to study engineering in your home country, It sounds like your heart is more set on engineering than medicine?
Reply 2
You mention getting a full scholarship to study engineering in your home country, It sounds like your heart is more set on engineering than medicine?

Nope. I want to become a doctor however, It’s not that if I want to become a doctor I want my parents to spend 1000s on me.
Nope. I want to become a doctor however, It’s not that if I want to become a doctor I want my parents to spend 1000s on me.

I know £45,000 is a lot but why are you expecting your parents to fund that?
Reply 4
I know £45,000 is a lot but why are you expecting your parents to fund that?

What do you mean? As international student I’m not eligible for any sort of funding from uk government so my parents are the only ones who can pay
What do you mean? As international student I’m not eligible for any sort of funding from uk government so my parents are the only ones who can pay

Oh taht makes sense sorry I didn't know that. Are you unsure about studying medicine in the UK perhaps?

mate, do not study medicine if your parents are forcing you. trust me, you will regret it.
Reply 7
Original post by B7861
mate, do not study medicine if your parents are forcing you. trust me, you will regret it.

It’s not that I don’t want to study medicine, it’s the finance I m worried about.
It’s not that I don’t want to study medicine, it’s the finance I m worried about.

is your dad going to pay or are you gonna have to pay him back?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by B7861
is your dad going to pay or are you gonna have to pay him back?

Yea paying him back after I graduate sounds a good option. But my main point is my dad investing a really high amount into my education compared to my siblings is something that’s always on my mind
Reply 10
Original post by B7861

Why nobody getting my point here which is my dad paying for me and it’s not that I don’t want to study medicine it’s him investing in my education
Why nobody getting my point here which is my dad paying for me and it’s not that I don’t want to study medicine it’s him investing in my education

You’ve got a problem with your dad investing in your education. Listen for me personally them tuition fees are allot of money and personally I wouldn’t be able to cope.. however it’s up to you

It sounds like you have a difficult relationship with your father, more down to him than you. But, he wants you to be a doctor and you've got a place in a UK university which is amazing. You've already shown how incredible you are!
I knew international students had high course fees, but wow, that's a LOT!
Can your father afford the fees? If so, and he's keen for you to be a doctor, then the only way is to ask. I wish you luck with that, it's a tricky situation to navigate.
Reply 13

You can't do anything about the tuition fee, no control over it as you chose to study medicine in the UK knowing how expensive it is.

So what are you worried about? Worrying if your father will be able to pay for the next 5 years?

Just wondering if there is no medical school in your home country?
Reply 14

Because your first post is not very clear. What is it that you want advice on?? Is your dad paying for your fees so you feel obligated to do medicine even though you don't want to? Is your dad not paying the fees and you don't want to ask him for such a large amount? What is your end goal for this thread?
Reply 15
Original post by tthu22319
You can't do anything about the tuition fee, no control over it as you chose to study medicine in the UK knowing how expensive it is.

So what are you worried about? Worrying if your father will be able to pay for the next 5 years?

Just wondering if there is no medical school in your home country?

I didn’t choose to. I mentioned many times to my parents that how expensive it is to study medicine in the uk but they thought that I’m lying and may be using tuition fee as an excuse to not study in the uk maybe bcz I can’t get into a uk medical school.
Otherwise, I had no issue studying eg in my home country or somewhere else.

And I’m not worried if my father will be able to afford it bcz he can but I’m worried bcz my father taunt me that he’s investing into my education and not my sisters when In reality my sisters never were interested in academics.
Reply 16
Original post by JadeN92
Because your first post is not very clear. What is it that you want advice on?? Is your dad paying for your fees so you feel obligated to do medicine even though you don't want to? Is your dad not paying the fees and you don't want to ask him for such a large amount? What is your end goal for this thread?

I want to study medicine
my parents want me to study medicine
when I was on gap year applying for med schools I mentioned many times to my parents that uk med schools are very very expensive and that I have no issue studying somewhere else but what they thought is that maybe I m saying is bcz I can’t get into a uk med school nd using tuition fees as an excuse.

even asking so many times my dad taunt me in a very bad way and made me so confused I mean like why didn’t they taunt me the whole time I was asking them where should I apply for medicine?

in short, I want to study medicine and my dad can afford to pay in the uk but still I asked them many times but that time they didn’t believe me and in short they just like to taunt others and make them feel
Reply 17
I want to study medicine
my parents want me to study medicine
when I was on gap year applying for med schools I mentioned many times to my parents that uk med schools are very very expensive and that I have no issue studying somewhere else but what they thought is that maybe I m saying is bcz I can’t get into a uk med school nd using tuition fees as an excuse.

even asking so many times my dad taunt me in a very bad way and made me so confused I mean like why didn’t they taunt me the whole time I was asking them where should I apply for medicine?

in short, I want to study medicine and my dad can afford to pay in the uk but still I asked them many times but that time they didn’t believe me and in short they just like to taunt others and make them feel

They like others being dependent on them but like to make others feel depressed and guilty
Well, you don’t have any choice.

You want to study med. Your parents want you to study med. You can’t afford the fees yourself.

So if you want to achieve your goal then you need to accept that your dad is going to needle you about that amount of money. Possibly for years. That’s him being a plank, not you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending