The Student Room Group

about public schools

So i have most prolly completed my 10th grade the thing is i wanna try other public schools in nyc , uk, etc with stem in em and how do i apply for those schools with scholorships without tution fees any reccomendation guys ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deep_123
So i have most prolly completed my 10th grade the thing is i wanna try other public schools in nyc , uk, etc with stem in em and how do i apply for those schools with scholorships without tution fees any reccomendation guys ??

I'm a little bit confused by your question.

Are you trying to say that you're applying to universities in New York and the UK to study STEM subjects but you want to do this without tuition fees?
Reply 2
(Original post by 04MR17)I'm a little bit confused by your question.

Are you trying to say that you're applying to universities in New York and the UK to study STEM subjects but you want to do this without tuition fees?

hi......not exactlyy there are public highschools right and igg there are courses and streams which we could choose and study i need public highschools with stem i did some research yesterday and got to know about it
(Original post by 04MR17)I'm a little bit confused by your question.

hi......not exactlyy there are public highschools right and igg there are courses and streams which we could choose and study i need public highschools with stem i did some research yesterday and got to know about it

Okay let's start from scratch...

How old are you?

Are you based in the US currently?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Okay let's start from scratch...

How old are you?

Are you based in the US currently?

im 16 turning 17
no im not in us rn but im planning to join the public schools during the fall maybe
im just tryin to know about highschools rn cause the school im studying rn is not really that good for the stream biotech
im 16 turning 17
no im not in us rn but im planning to join the public schools during the fall maybe
im just tryin to know about highschools rn cause the school im studying rn is not really that good for the stream biotech

Can you tell me which country you're studying in at the moment? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
Can you tell me which country you're studying in at the moment? :smile:

india !
india !

Okay, if coming to the UK what you are best looking for are "sixth forms" or further education colleges (FE colleges).

This is the stage of education in the UK for 16-18 year olds. Most people will study 3 subjects at this level, usually completing qualifications called "Advanced levels". There is also the "International Baccalaureate" (IB) qualification which some institutions offer instead. Sixth forms and FE colleges are usually free to attend.

Are there particular disciplines within STEM that you would like to study?
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
Okay, if coming to the UK what you are best looking for are "sixth forms" or further education colleges (FE colleges).

This is the stage of education in the UK for 16-18 year olds. Most people will study 3 subjects at this level, usually completing qualifications called "Advanced levels". There is also the "International Baccalaureate" (IB) qualification which some institutions offer instead. Sixth forms and FE colleges are usually free to attend.

Are there particular disciplines within STEM that you would like to study?

wow...this is pretty complicated
well i would like to pursue science cause i need to do meds and .....and so if i had to puruse i need to choose 6th form ?
wow...this is pretty complicated
well i would like to pursue science cause i need to do meds and .....and so if i had to puruse i need to choose 6th form ?

The United States education system is quite different, my main expertise is in the system in England and Wales as that's what I am used to.

Would you be wanting to study Medicine in the UK?
If you want to do medicine, doing a levels in something like biology, chemistry and maths would be beneficial - what do you enjoy at the moment?
So is it america or the uk that you want to go to?
If its the uk, are you wanting more info about that?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Original post by 04MR17
The United States education system is quite different, my main expertise is in the system in England and Wales as that's what I am used to.

Would you be wanting to study Medicine in the UK?

yeaa like after finishing the highschool but i havent decided about it yet
Reply 12
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
If you want to do medicine, doing a levels in something like biology, chemistry and maths would be beneficial - what do you enjoy at the moment?
So is it america or the uk that you want to go to?
If its the uk, are you wanting more info about that?

in india we have streams that could be pursued i have chosen biology at the moment ,to be honest im confused which has better public schools uk or usa ?
in india we have streams that could be pursued i have chosen biology at the moment ,to be honest im confused which has better public schools uk or usa ?

do you hold citizenship status in either country? You need to consider that
one of my friends had to go to private schools (not tuition free) because she wasn’t eu/British - you’d probably need s visa of some sorts for America? (Not completely sure of this so someone else may have to verify)
again in terms of tuition fees, university will be more expensive (assuming you don’t have home status) as an international student because you need to live here for at least 3 years before the start of your course to qualify for student loans
(again, someone please fact check this lol)

Not sure, but i guess it depends on whether you want to apply to uk or the us for uni afterwards - for entry into american universities there is much more of a focus on extracurricuars (e.g. music, sports,volunteering).

To be honest they both have loads of schools and it will be very hard to decide where to go - do you have a specific area in mind where you want to move, or are you moving with family etc? Anything to help you narrow down the search, other than having a good school, becasuse both have loads and loads of good schools? Did you say you wanted to go to a public (private) school? Do you wnat to go to a boarding school (ie, where you live there?)
Original post by cersef
do you hold citizenship status in either country? You need to consider that
one of my friends had to go to private schools (not tuition free) because she wasn’t eu/British - you’d probably need s visa of some sorts for America? (Not completely sure of this so someone else may have to verify)
again in terms of tuition fees, university will be more expensive (assuming you don’t have home status) as an international student because you need to live here for at least 3 years before the start of your course to qualify for student loans
(again, someone please fact check this lol)

Yep, you have to have lived here for 3 years continuously.
No idea how you apply for a visa though.
Reply 16
Yep, you have to have lived here for 3 years continuously.
No idea how you apply for a visa though.

u talkin about uk ?? but it seems like students visa for usa is like about 5 years and u have to not change the instituion after that
Reply 17
Not sure, but i guess it depends on whether you want to apply to uk or the us for uni afterwards - for entry into american universities there is much more of a focus on extracurricuars (e.g. music, sports,volunteering).

To be honest they both have loads of schools and it will be very hard to decide where to go - do you have a specific area in mind where you want to move, or are you moving with family etc? Anything to help you narrow down the search, other than having a good school, because both have loads and loads of good schools? Did you say you wanted to go to a public (private) school? Do you wnat to go to a boarding school (ie, where you live there?)

as i said earlier im lookin for public schools .......but are there any public schools available with boarding facilities i dont think so they seem to be very rare and competitive
u talkin about uk ?? but it seems like students visa for usa is like about 5 years and u have to not change the instituion after that

Yep, in the uk if you live here for 3 years you can apply for student finance for the uni course.
However, you are talking about coming here to do a levels, which are only 2 years long.
So you wouldnt qualify for student finance unless you stayed an extra year (e.g. gap year, extra year doing a levels)
And the medicine course is long and likely to be very expensive without student finance loans.
as i said earlier im lookin for public schools .......but are there any public schools available with boarding facilities i dont think so they seem to be very rare and competitive

There are, but again, they will be expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending