The Student Room Group

Application for a person with Pre-settled status

Hi,

So I am a bit confused. I am someone who had lived in the UK for almost 3 years and managed to get pre-settled status. Now during my applications for the uni, I wanted to go on the foundation year, but I am unsure if I will qualify for the international students fee or home fees at this point. I called UKCISA phone line and asked them about it, which they said I should be fine as long as I get back to the UK before my uni starts (I was in Poland and currently in the Korea on some holidays). That sounds great but when I was checking one uni site - Salford University - I noticed they have seperate international foundation year for international students that didnt do education in the UK. I assume I would need to take this, but my question is if in this situation, would I then, after starting first year on the Hons degree, be qualified as international or home student... ?

I feel like my case is SO SPECIFIC and I just cannot find a clear answer other than trying it out and seeing what s gonna happen - but thats expensive, and too much, and during that time i might just do something else. Idk what to do exactly in my position as well, since I am tempted to try and do "access to HE" in case my own Polish exams are not good enough for the CS courses.

Was someone in similar boat? Or maybe someone knows how I should approach it?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Kitek1587

1) I am someone who had lived in the UK for almost 3 years and managed to get pre-settled status. Now during my applications for the uni, I wanted to go on the foundation year, but I am unsure if I will qualify for the international students fee or home fees at this point. I........................
2) Salford University - I noticed they have seperate international foundation year for international students that didnt do education in the UK. I assume I would need to take this, but my question is if in this situation, would I then, after starting first year on the Hons degree, be qualified as international or home student... ?

1) If you have settled status and you have been in the UK continuously for 3 years, you will be Home fee status. The Unis will ask you for your 'Sharecode' so they can check your immigration status online and may also want a copy of your passport. All very straightforward.

2) Specifically named 'International Foundation' years are for overseas fee payers only. And they cost ££ more than the standard Year 0 Foundation years that are part of a degree program. You can't have it both ways - you can't decide you are Overseas one minute and Home the next.

What qualifications do you have - Polish Matura? And when did you take this?
If you took this fairly recently, then you may be able to use this for Uni entry - or you could do A levels/BTEC etc at college, or a 1-year Access to HE course - https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/
Hi,

So I am a bit confused. I am someone who had lived in the UK for almost 3 years and managed to get pre-settled status. Now during my applications for the uni, I wanted to go on the foundation year, but I am unsure if I will qualify for the international students fee or home fees at this point. I called UKCISA phone line and asked them about it, which they said I should be fine as long as I get back to the UK before my uni starts (I was in Poland and currently in the Korea on some holidays). That sounds great but when I was checking one uni site - Salford University - I noticed they have seperate international foundation year for international students that didnt do education in the UK. I assume I would need to take this, but my question is if in this situation, would I then, after starting first year on the Hons degree, be qualified as international or home student... ?

I feel like my case is SO SPECIFIC and I just cannot find a clear answer other than trying it out and seeing what s gonna happen - but thats expensive, and too much, and during that time i might just do something else. Idk what to do exactly in my position as well, since I am tempted to try and do "access to HE" in case my own Polish exams are not good enough for the CS courses.

Was someone in similar boat? Or maybe someone knows how I should approach it?

Thanks

Hey, I was in a similar situation and this is what I found out.

Basically most foundation year programs in the uk for UK students are for students who didn’t go to private schools, are living in low income areas, whose parents don’t make a certain amount of money ( ONLY British students can apply ) . The foundation year for international students doesn’t really have many entrance requirements.

Furthermore, I would email the university and ask but I assume you qualify as an international student and have to pay full international fees OR you will do a foundation year without any of those social economic factors it really depends on the uni.

FYI it could be that you lose your pre settlement status if u leave the uk longer than two years
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
1) If you have settled status and you have been in the UK continuously for 3 years, you will be Home fee status. The Unis will ask you for your 'Sharecode' so they can check your immigration status online and may also want a copy of your passport. All very straightforward.

2) Specifically named 'International Foundation' years are for overseas fee payers only. And they cost ££ more than the standard Year 0 Foundation years that are part of a degree program. You can't have it both ways - you can't decide you are Overseas one minute and Home the next.

What qualifications do you have - Polish Matura? And when did you take this?
If you took this fairly recently, then you may be able to use this for Uni entry - or you could do A levels/BTEC etc at college, or a 1-year Access to HE course - https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/

1) When I called UKCISA they told me that despite not living for 3 years continuously in the UK (I left few months short tho... ) I am still a member of EEA so I should qualify for the home fees. I am quite confused right now then, cause I am getting mixed responses.

2) I understand, then that means I would most likely have to pay the international fees afterwards, unless I would apply for the course as home student?

I passed matura around 3 years ago, with addition of passing math (wanted higher mark) and history of art (same as math) this May. I was thinking of trying the Access to HE course if this might not be enough for the uni I wanna apply, but now I am unsure how they would qualify me...
Reply 4
Original post by Mednerd363778
Hey, I was in a similar situation and this is what I found out.

Basically most foundation year programs in the uk for UK students are for students who didn’t go to private schools, are living in low income areas, whose parents don’t make a certain amount of money ( ONLY British students can apply ) . The foundation year for international students doesn’t really have many entrance requirements.

Furthermore, I would email the university and ask but I assume you qualify as an international student and have to pay full international fees OR you will do a foundation year without any of those social economic factors it really depends on the uni.

FYI it could be that you lose your pre settlement status if u leave the uk longer than two years

Thanks! I plan on calling them tomorrow to ask further questions about it, since I am really confused on all of that... I still have my pre-settled status since it was not even an year since I left the UK (left it in March) so I am still good on that ground. Will have to look further into that with uni I suppose. Perhaps I might have to take the Access to HE or something to be able to do foundation year as a home student or something. I am not sure. As I said, mixed responses everywhere.
Reply 5
Original post by Mednerd363778

Basically most foundation year programs in the uk for UK students are for students who didn’t go to private schools, are living in low income areas, whose parents don’t make a certain amount of money ( ONLY British students can apply ) .

Total rubbish.

A few are 'widening participation' focussed - but most are not.
Year 0 Foundation Years are for typically for people with low grades or who didnt take the right A level subjects.
And often they will accept both UK and International fee payers.
Reply 6
Total rubbish.

Year 0 Foundation Years are for typically for people with low grades or who didnt take the right A level subjects.

In that case, if I were to apply for the foundation year as a home student, would it be possible for me to actually access it? Man, at this point I really need to call them once they open the offices, since I am truly and utterly confused about this.

I read that on the page 60 of this document - https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/uploads/files/1/england_he_who_pays__home_fees_public_version6_21.12.21.pdf

I should be eligible for the home fees, and that was confirmed by the person that I called from UKCISA. So yeah... gotta call uni asap then haha
Reply 7
1) When I called UKCISA they told me that despite not living for 3 years continuously in the UK (I left few months short tho... ) I am still a member of EEA so I should qualify for the home fees.

2) I understand, then that means I would most likely have to pay the international fees afterwards, unless I would apply for the course as home student?

3) I passed matura around 3 years ago, with addition of passing math (wanted higher mark) and history of art (same as math) this May.

4)I was thinking of trying the Access to HE course if this might not be enough for the uni I wanna apply, but now I am unsure how they would qualify me...

1) Fee status is complicated - and Unis will not access you for fee status until they actually receive your UCAS application. Basic info from Bath Uni here - https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/understanding-your-tuition-fee-status/.

2) It isnt up to you to decide what fee status you are - you dont apply as 'a Home student' etc. You just fill in the UCAS application form and Unis will make their own decision, asking you for additional info / documents if necessary.

3) 'Some Math', 'some History of Art' - what exactly? Name of qualification, abd what grade did you get?

4) All UK Unis will accept Access to HE. Email some and ask them exactly what they require for the degree subject you want to do,
Reply 8
1) Fee status is complicated - and Unis will not access you for fee status until they actually receive your UCAS application. Basic info from Bath Uni here - https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/understanding-your-tuition-fee-status/.

2) It isnt up to you to decide what fee status you are - you dont apply as 'a Home student' etc. You just fill in the UCAS application form and Unis will make their own decision, asking you for additional info / documents if necessary.

3) 'Some Math', 'some History of Art' - what exactly? Name of qualification, abd what grade did you get?

4) All UK Unis will accept Access to HE. Email some and ask them exactly what they require for the degree subject you want to do,

1/2 - thank you! Im glad to hear that, I was confused about that. Will do further communication with the unis then and see if they recommend anything for me.

3 - I did full Polish Matura so I passed basic Polish with 67%, basic Math with 72%, history of art advanced 70%, and English basic 98% with Advanced 96%. Not sure exactly how these grades change when put onto the A-F Scale, but from what I've seen its usually around B/C with my grades.

4. Thank you, will do. In that case, do Access to HE can be done online or has to be in person?
Reply 9
This chart from Edinburgh is useful for a general idea of Matura vs. A level grades - but this can vary between Unis and degree subjects, so you will need to email each Uni to check carefully before you apply - https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/european-union-undergraduate-entry-requirements/m-s/poland
No not really rubbish since they don’t accept mostly pre settlement students as they international fee payers. Also it really depends on the foundation course as I said cause the once I came across so far which where offered by universities where for those uk students and not accessible for us as pre settlement students. However I know people who did foundation years in schools or colleges and it didn’t matter for them since it’s not offered by the university. (Original post by McGinger)
Total rubbish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending