The Student Room Group

Anyone agree with Gove?

I can see both good and bad points in the changes that Michael Gove is trying to make, however most threads about them seem to focus on the bad. If there is anyone out there who agrees with Gove, write down your opinion and say why you agree with what he is trying to do.
Original post by The_Dragonborn
I can see both good and bad points in the changes that Michael Gove is trying to make, however most threads about them seem to focus on the bad. If there is anyone out there who agrees with Gove, write down your opinion and say why you agree with what he is trying to do.

I agree with limitations put in place for retakes. I agree that people can have off days with extenuating circumstances that limit their ability to perform to their best. However, I don't believe students should have unlimited chances to improve their grade. Personally I think every student should be eligible for one resit per module. Whether they choose to take up that offer or not, is entirely up to the student. As with current rules, best mark counts, so the student won't be any worse off if they end up doing worse of in the resit that in the first exam.

I don't agree with the abolition of AS levels though. I think AS levels are a good indicator for how students will do at the end of year 13. I also think AS levels are very good for predicted grades, even though it seems a lot of students can predict grades far above those achieved at AS. At my 6th form, we were predicted the grade we got at AS, unless we were very close to the grade boundary (eg, I was 2 marks off a B in politics AS, so I was predicted a B). I think there should be some national standardisation of predicted grades, similar to that my school had.
Original post by super_kawaii
I agree with limitations put in place for retakes. I agree that people can have off days with extenuating circumstances that limit their ability to perform to their best. However, I don't believe students should have unlimited chances to improve their grade. Personally I think every student should be eligible for one resit per module. Whether they choose to take up that offer or not, is entirely up to the student. As with current rules, best mark counts, so the student won't be any worse off if they end up doing worse of in the resit that in the first exam.

I don't agree with the abolition of AS levels though. I think AS levels are a good indicator for how students will do at the end of year 13. I also think AS levels are very good for predicted grades, even though it seems a lot of students can predict grades far above those achieved at AS. At my 6th form, we were predicted the grade we got at AS, unless we were very close to the grade boundary (eg, I was 2 marks off a B in politics AS, so I was predicted a B). I think there should be some national standardisation of predicted grades, similar to that my school had.

You from kawaii?
Original post by TheHeroicOne
You from kawaii?

Nope, I'm British, but living in China for my year abroad. Kawaii is Japanese for cute :smile:
Original post by super_kawaii
Nope, I'm British, but living in China for my year abroad. Kawaii is Japanese for cute :smile:

Cool, my dad is from china. Why call yourself cute, but egotistical?
I agree with his general idea that exams need to be made harder/ more rigorous, and kids shouldn't be allowed to just keep resitting until they get that A. However, some of his changes, like the scrapping of some coursework, the removal of January exams, and the possible removal of ASs, I totally disagree with. I would agree with whoever mentioned above about limiting resits to one per subject/ module, but I think that some of Gove's changes are just going to make people more stressed (like the moving of all exams to the summer and the possible removal of ASs - which would also make it much harder for universities to distinguish between candidates). I also think the recent thing about changing GCSE grades to numbers is just going to confuse people but achieve little else...
Cool, my dad is from china. Why call yourself cute, but egotistical?

I originally made it because of the Gwen Stefani song 'Harajuku girls' Such a good song!
Reply 7
I've never come across anyone who likes him. Every teacher I know is convinced he has no idea what he's doing. I think all the main unions had a vote of no confidence in him. No students I know who follow politics like him. Even the few retired guys I know go out of their way to say how much they think he's a ******. I can't imaging there'll be many supporters of him on this thread.

And of course, I think he's utterly incompetent. He seems adamant to make radical changes to education so he can have some lasting "Govian Reform" legacy. Unfortunately nothing I've heard him suggest seems to have been thought through properly.
Original post by Manitude
I've never come across anyone who likes him. Every teacher I know is convinced he has no idea what he's doing. I think all the main unions had a vote of no confidence in him. No students I know who follow politics like him. Even the few retired guys I know go out of their way to say how much they think he's a ******. I can't imaging there'll be many supporters of him on this thread.

And of course, I think he's utterly incompetent. He seems adamant to make radical changes to education so he can have some lasting "Govian Reform" legacy. Unfortunately nothing I've heard him suggest seems to have been thought through properly.

Not liking someone purely because other people don't... you essentially define tool.
OP, I dislike gove but I dislike teachers and teachers unions just as much, so I'm indifferent its nice to see someone face up to teachers.
Reply 9
Not liking someone purely because other people don't... you essentially define tool.
OP, I dislike gove but I dislike teachers and teachers unions just as much, so I'm indifferent its nice to see someone face up to teachers.

Please tell me where I said that I don't like him because I'm jumping on a bandwagon. Did you even read the part where I said why I didn't like him?
Original post by Manitude
Please tell me where I said that I don't like him because I'm jumping on a bandwagon. Did you even read the part where I said why I didn't like him?

Yeah read dat
Reply 11

You may have missed the part where Manitude says he finds Gove to be incompetent. Ever considered that your dislike for teachers may be why you can't read properly?

EDIT: Didn't see Manitude's reply. My point still stands though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I agree. Retakes in general are stupid. By all means, resit one or two exams, but it shouldn't disadvantage those who manage to do well in first sitting.
Michael Gove is a legend. The sheer brilliance of Gove will become obvious once the first cohort of students to be effected by his changes finish their A-levels. All of this country's youth illiteracy problems, innumeracy problems and university preparation problems will vanish completely and Gove shall be hailed as the greatest tactician in delivering effective education to have ever been Education Secretary in this country's history. Just wait and watch.

Ofcourse, tragically, like all true geniuses, he will only fully be recognized as a genius (in delivering education) after his death. I suspect he will be knighted before a statue of him is erected outside Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending