The Student Room Group

Who will be the party to build the homes we need

I am 36 and I have realised that unless I win the lottery or receive a large amount from money I won’t be able to buy a house. House prices near where I live are insane. I heard the planning inb minister talking about planning reform and Rishi blamed the House of Lords and labour for stopping the government in delivering reforms. I can’t see this government or a future Tory government build large amounts of homes as their main voters are home owners and they wouldn’t want to lower house prices
Yes this is the fundamental issue. Nothing other than the political mobilisation of young people (and, I guess, a greater proportion of the electorate becoming affected) is likely to change that.

We saw at Lib Dem conference (OK, yes, starting small!) how a well-organised movement of young members managed to stop the party leadership watering down housebuilding policy.
Reply 2
Original post by harrybrown101
I am 36 and I have realised that unless I win the lottery or receive a large amount from money I won’t be able to buy a house. House prices near where I live are insane.

This is the rub and where I think your expectations are a little out of kilter. Everyone wants to be able to buy an "affordable" house near where they live or want to live, forgetting that many places have high prices for a reason... everyone else also want to live there and generally have more money than you.

So if you want to buy a house, with respect, you are going to have to adjust your expectations and perhaps buy somewhere more affordable. There are lots of affordable "nice" places to live, just not necessarily in the most desirable areas.

Other ways to afford a house are to buy it with a partner (friend or otherwise), or get training so that you can get a job that pays more money. If the end goal is to buy a house it really isn't that hard. You just have to prioritise which means some sacrifice.
Reply 3
Original post by harrybrown101
I am 36 and I have realised that unless I win the lottery or receive a large amount from money I won’t be able to buy a house. House prices near where I live are insane. I heard the planning inb minister talking about planning reform and Rishi blamed the House of Lords and labour for stopping the government in delivering reforms. I can’t see this government or a future Tory government build large amounts of homes as their main voters are home owners and they wouldn’t want to lower house prices

No party is prepared to the risks required to do so.

Both the Cameron and Boris governments gave it a go. The Cameron government had limited success in that it bumped up actual house completions due to Help to Buy between 2016-2019 however May ditched the expansion of Right to Buy to housing associations also the Starter Home platform as her government got slowly swallowed by Brexit. Boris gave it a second go and had a bill ready to go around 2021 that was quite wide ranging however the 'we should build more houses but not anywhere near me' Lib Dem's gave them a thumping in Chesham on that issue. Thus the ideas were watered down and now the technocrats are in charge, Gove can't do much meaningful.

As highlighted though, the Lib Dem's won't do any better. They knife the Tories on housing wherever possible. Likewise, Reform are basically disafected Tories and the Greens would stop us building anything that was not made of Cob if they could.

That leaves Labour who always claim they will build houses but during the Blair and Brown governments allowed home ownership to fall from 2004 onwards and are quite London centric in their current makeup and base. I don't have much confidence personally.
The uk is overpopulated get me a flight out of here
Reply 5
None of them, aside from the parties all being utterly incompetent none of them are really in the business of building homes. The councils might but those are for the benefit scroungers and such as opposed to your average new build for a young family.
Reply 6
Original post by Entrepreneur.
The uk is overpopulated get me a flight out of here

To where exactly? I doubt youll find many other countries thatre much better, either being more overpopulated or grossly under-so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending