The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, was wondering if someone could clear something up for me. When exactly do most firms interview 2nd year law students for training contracts starting 2016? Most application deadlines are 31st July, and I need to know whether I need to be in London in August, as I really want to go home for a bit (my family live abroad). Thanks!
Reply 21
Original post by HK1990
Anyone had a vacation scheme interview with SJ Berwin? If so, mind saying what it covers?

I had a VC interview with KWMSJB a couple of weeks ago and got offered a place on the Easter programme. It is very straightforward: it is exactly what they say - an interview with someone from HR and a senior associate. The HR interviewer will ask questions pertaining to your CV (i.e. work experience, educational history, interests), while the associate typically interjects every now and then with questions about KWMSJB itself, as well as asking a few questions testing your 'commercial awareness'. My interview only went on for about 45 minutes; I felt it was more of a 'fitting' interview than anything else. So, know you're CV, read up on the firm and be yourself. You'll smash it.
Reply 22
Original post by LawYayLaw
I had a VC interview with KWMSJB a couple of weeks ago and got offered a place on the Easter programme. It is very straightforward: it is exactly what they say - an interview with someone from HR and a senior associate. The HR interviewer will ask questions pertaining to your CV (i.e. work experience, educational history, interests), while the associate typically interjects every now and then with questions about KWMSJB itself, as well as asking a few questions testing your 'commercial awareness'. My interview only went on for about 45 minutes; I felt it was more of a 'fitting' interview than anything else. So, know you're CV, read up on the firm and be yourself. You'll smash it.

Ok thanks! Well done on getting onto the vac scheme, hope it goes well for you.
Reply 23
Anyone getting TC app responses yet? I have 4 pending so far: Eversheds, CMS, Dentons & Mayer Brown.

From prior experience, it is always good to investigate the firms which explicitly say they process applications on a rolling basis, and those that say that they wait until after the deadline, so that one can prioritise apps in that order.
Hi everyone - new poster here.

I was wondering if it's actually realistic to have a shot at getting a TC in the UK if I haven't done a VS. I'm studying in Ireland (non-law), so I've been a bit out of the loop with regards to careers fairs / open days.

(also just realised that there's a spelling mistake in the application that I sent to my #1 :frown: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by irishrose92

I was wondering if it's actually realistic to have a shot at getting a TC in the UK if I haven't done a VS. I'm studying in Ireland (non-law), so I've been a bit out of the loop with regards to careers fairs / open days.

(also just realised that there's a spelling mistake in the application that I sent to my #1 :frown: )

Yes it is realistic, as long as you have good grades (2:1 average at university) and can evidence why you want a training contract via related & un-related work experience.

Often competition is fiercer for vacation schemes hence some are actually more successful when it comes to direct TC apps.
Thanks Bazzza! I'm feeling a little more hopeful now :smile:

I am in the same position. I haven't been much in the loop either, but there is still time to get on it. I've been going to open days which has helped.

And I did the same things re spelling mistakes! I've started printing mine off and reading out loud, plus getting other people to look over them. Good luck!

I know a few Irish people who have succeeded in getting training contracts in the UK without vac schemes. One had never actually been to London until the day of her first interview. Just try to get some form of legal experience in Ireland and you'll be fine.
Original post by Bazzza
Anyone getting TC app responses yet? I have 4 pending so far: Eversheds, CMS, Dentons & Mayer Brown.

Hey, have you heard back from any of these ones yet? I've applied to CMS and Dentons. Working on Eversheds.
Original post by aspiringlawyer13
Hey, have you heard back from any of these ones yet? I've applied to CMS and Dentons. Working on Eversheds.

No word from Mayer Brown here either :frown: did anyone notice that slaughters' written exercise is now an hour instead of 30 minutes? Seems like a very long time to write a summary - bit worried about what's required.
(edited 10 years ago)
Rejection from Stephenson Harwood. The first application I did so hope the others aren't the same haha
Has anyone heard from CMS or Taylor Wessing. I know CMS is rolling, and Taylor Wessing said that they would be doing ACs for training contracts before the summer. Thanks!
Original post by aspiringlawyer13
Has anyone heard from CMS or Taylor Wessing. I know CMS is rolling, and Taylor Wessing said that they would be doing ACs for training contracts before the summer. Thanks!

No word from Taylor Wessing here either
Reply 34
Original post by Bazzza

From prior experience, it is always good to investigate the firms which explicitly say they process applications on a rolling basis, and those that say that they wait until after the deadline, so that one can prioritise apps in that order.

Have received an offer from, and accepted a place at, Ashurst. Anyone else?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Sorry for reposting; has anyone heard from:

Berg
Marriott Harrison
Wilsons
Field Seymour Parkes
Birkett Long
Reply 36
I will be calling Marriott Harrison tomorrow afternoon as I've unexpectedly had to leave town for a week on Friday. I'll let you know what they say about when we're expecting to hear back etc! xx

Original post by Iridescenzo
Sorry for reposting; has anyone heard from:

Berg
Marriott Harrison
Wilsons
Field Seymour Parkes
Birkett Long
Reply 37
LOL

Still no contract ?

Better attitude might actually get you somewhere.
I've come up against a question on an application form which is asking me what I think will be the greatest challenges I'll face as a solicitor. I was just wondering how specific these are expected to be. Would putting down 'time management' be too general? And would putting something like, 'making sure you're always up to date with all kinds of business' (obviously not worded like that) just sound like you're not very commercially aware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 39
Original post by jm184
I will be calling Marriott Harrison tomorrow afternoon as I've unexpectedly had to leave town for a week on Friday. I'll let you know what they say about when we're expecting to hear back etc! xx

any news?

Latest

Trending

Trending