The Student Room Group

Two ab initio languages

What unis are there that offer two ab initio languages? I've been looking at a few that offer three languages, but most of them require two A Level languages, and I'm only doing A Level Spanish. I know Sheffield offers two, with one subsidiary, and I think St. Andrews does as well (but their site is awful, I think), but I can't find many other places. Ucas.com hasn't really been much help to me. I'm interested in doing Swedish as well, but again ucas hasn't been much help. I found Edinburgh and UCL on it, but then it doesn't mention Sheffield, which offers it as a minor language.
Hiya i think lancaster lets you start languages from scratch but i think they only offer german, spanish and italien, im not sure tho! hope ive helped out :smile:
luv sarah x
Reply 2
I was thinking that two new languages might be stupidly difficult, but then it might be fun. Is Sheffield an exception, or have I completely misunderstood them?
burntgorilla
I was thinking that two new languages might be stupidly difficult, but then it might be fun. Is Sheffield an exception, or have I completely misunderstood them?

Their website is a little bit confusing, but from 2 extracts I found:

Catalan, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Portuguese and Russian can all be incorporated in the degree from level one onwards

Students taking the BA in Modern Languages choose two of their subjects from French, German, Linguistics, Russian and Spanish. Those taking the BA in Modern Languages with Interpreting choose two from French, German, Russian and Spanish. Russian and Spanish can both be studied from scratch.

So I would interpret that as meaning you can study 3 languages or 2 plus linguistics in the first year. Since you'd be taking Spanish post A-level, and the only other language from that list that can be taken from scratch is Russian, you'd either have to do Spanish, Russian and say Swedish or Spanish, linguistics and say Swedish. But then it goes on to say:

At level two you make your definitive choice of subjects. The subjects you decide on at this stage will be those you focus on throughout the rest of your time at Sheffield.

I'm not sure whether that means you'd have to drop one of the subjects in the second year or not. It might be an idea to email them to clarify some of this.

I didn't find St. Andrew's or Edinburgh's websites very clear either, so I'm not sure about them, but I think you could do Spanish and Swedish at UCL and at Durham, you can do 3 languages with only one at A-level as long as you don't start both of the new languages in the same year. They don't offer Swedish though.
at nottingham you can do portuguese as part of spanish and dutch a bit in germn etc but not sure if that's enough for you?
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I think if I had the opportunity within the course to do Portuguese or Catalan (or Basque, it's crazy!), I would, but I'd like to try and do completely different languages.

Latest

Trending

Trending