The Student Room Group

PGCE Chemistry

Hello everyone. I will be applying to a few places for secondary chemistry for 2014 entry and I have a few questions if anyone can help.

Firstly, I hear Chemistry is a shortage subject (one of the top ones, Physics and Maths more so) so should I expect problems if I apply end of January, beginning of February (depending on referees)?
I am applying then because I have secondary classroom experience set up after Christmas from the 6th Jan onward, and also SEP set on the 14th Jan (which will hopefully last 10 days which is 2 weeks).

Secondly, I have finished Medical Biochemistry, 2:1, and I am guessing there will be no problems in getting onto the Chemistry course, but it is up to the panel to decide. Has anyone applied for Chemistry and has a biochemistry/medical biochemistry background?

Thank you.
Original post by Slob1988
Firstly, I hear Chemistry is a shortage subject (one of the top ones, Physics and Maths more so) so should I expect problems if I apply end of January, beginning of February (depending on referees)?
I am applying then because I have secondary classroom experience set up after Christmas from the 6th Jan onward, and also SEP set on the 14th Jan (which will hopefully last 10 days which is 2 weeks).

All fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
All fine.

I know this might be a silly question, but I have even asked some Universities just to make sure.

I have a degree in Medical Biochemistry with Industry and I am guessing I can go onto PGCE Chemistry. I have asked this because it says that at least 50% of your degree should strongly relate to Chemistry.

What does ''strongly relate'' mean?

I have had lets say pure Chemistry modules (about 5) and the rest of the modules are of course related to Chemistry (eg Biochemistry modules, Molecular Biology, Cell signalling, Genetics) but I never know what STRONGLY RELATE means.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Slob1988
I know this might be a silly question, but I have even asked some Universities just to make sure.

I have a degree in Medical Biochemistry with Industry and I am guessing I can go onto PGCE Chemistry. I have asked this because it says that at least 50% of your degree should strongly relate to Chemistry.

What does ''strongly relate'' mean?

I have had lets say pure Chemistry modules (about 5) and the rest of the modules are of course related to Chemistry (eg Biochemistry modules, Molecular Biology, Cell signalling, Genetics) but I never know what STRONGLY RELATE means.

It doesn't mean anything. There is no real rule and it is entirely up to the discretion of the training provider whether to accept you or not. In your case Chemistry is a shortage subject and they fall over themselves in the scramble to offer you a place. Remember your other knowledge will be highly relevant too as much of your timetable will be spent teaching the other sciences.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
It doesn't mean anything. There is no real rule and it is entirely up to the discretion of the training provider whether to accept you or not. In your case Chemistry is a shortage subject and they fall over themselves in the scramble to offer you a place. Remember your other knowledge will be highly relevant too as much of your timetable will be spent teaching the other sciences.

Thanks, both your answers are reassuring. I am always thinking if its too late to apply at the end of this month even though I know some people said there were some Chemistry PGCE's available in July last year and it is a subject that people are in no rush to apply for, but still its better to send of as early as possible. Thanks anyway, you really reassured me. :smile:

And also, its better to wait and be a stronger candidate (in my case that means about a month experience I will gain before I apply). I am confident about my qualifications, my degree and A-levels. Of course, we all worry about the personal statement but that's normal. I started writing it today, bits that I can and will spend every day on it until I think it's good enough...
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending