The Student Room Group

Dietetics and Nutrition ( 4 years ) switched to Human nutrition ( with foundation )

Hi there
I have applied through Ucas for Bsc dietetics and nutrition 4 years at London Met . Received a conditional offer ( maths test ) requirement but the offer is for a different course ) human nutrition ) . I have a statement of comparability from Naric ROF Level 3 / SCQF Level 6-7 / CQFW Level 3
Overall standard of GCE Advanced (A) level / Scottish Advanced Higher / Scottish
Baccalaureate / Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate
Additional comparison information:
Every subiect passed may be considered at least comparable to GCSE grades A*-C / 9-
4. English is studied as a second language.
May be considered comparable to BTEC National Diploma / Extended Diploma standard if awarded on completion of vocational, technological. Met admission had actually converted me onto human nutrition course instead of dietetics and nutrition . Does anyone know if my Equivalent baccalaureate will be applied for this course - dietetics and nutrition ??
I don’t want human nutrition as this is not an exception course .
Please let me know .
Original post by Roxy862006
Hi there
I have applied through Ucas for Bsc dietetics and nutrition 4 years at London Met . Received a conditional offer ( maths test ) requirement but the offer is for a different course ) human nutrition ) . I have a statement of comparability from Naric ROF Level 3 / SCQF Level 6-7 / CQFW Level 3
Overall standard of GCE Advanced (A) level / Scottish Advanced Higher / Scottish
Baccalaureate / Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate
Additional comparison information:
Every subiect passed may be considered at least comparable to GCSE grades A*-C / 9-
4. English is studied as a second language.
May be considered comparable to BTEC National Diploma / Extended Diploma standard if awarded on completion of vocational, technological. Met admission had actually converted me onto human nutrition course instead of dietetics and nutrition . Does anyone know if my Equivalent baccalaureate will be applied for this course - dietetics and nutrition ??
I don’t want human nutrition as this is not an exception course .
Please let me know .

The dietics course requirements are the following: https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/dietetics-and-nutrition---bsc-hons/
The human nutrition course requirements are the following: https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/human-nutrition---bsc-hons/

The entry requirements for both courses are very similar in terms of level of study. Your level 3 qualification should be accepted for the dietics course. I would raise with with the undergrad admissions of Health Sciences where possible (I can't find the undergrad admissions personnel for this, so you would have to send them a message to general admissions: https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/contact-us/send-a-message/).
You have every right to reject the offer should this not be what you want. However, I would contact them as soon as you can, because if you leave it too late you might not be able to either back out of the human nutrition course or the opening for the dietics course might be closed.

In terms of entry requirements, the dietics course has a slightly higher grade requirement than for the human nutrition, and also require you to have studied chemistry as well as biology. The dietics course would also require you to have done a number of things on top for your application:

10 days (or more) of recent (within the last two years) work experience in a care environment

attendance at a dietetics career event

an enhanced DBS Check for the Adults' and Children's Workforce

clearance for non-exposure prone procedures (EPP) by an approved occupational health service

attended and passed an interview

If you're based outside of the UK, a DBS check might not be possible and might need some sort of alternative (you will need to speak to undergrad admissions).

The page further states that if you don't meet the above requirements, you would need "to gain entry by completing our Human Nutrition (including foundation year) BSc (Hons) degree.
Students are required to apply internally for Dietetics BSc and Dietetics and Nutrition BSc during their studies on Human Nutrition (including foundation year) BSc. There will be support and advice during this process."

I think this might be the case for you, so you would need to contact undergrad admissions to verify this is the case, and then confirm what you would need to do in order to transfer onto the dieticis and nutrition course.
Reply 2
I don’t really mind to go on human nutrition ( year 0 ) but the problem is that is not an exception course exception is either dietetics simple or Bsc Dietetics and nutrition . I have called SFE and someone confirmed that human nutrition or health nutrition is not a funded course if you already hold another degree which is my case .
My Level 3 GCA it holds grades C/4 but only English , French , literature ( my own language ) geography and physical education . So I don’t hold maths , that’s why they offered me a conditional offer with maths test to be done but I don’t understand why not keeping me on Dietetics and nutrition as Geography or Physical education could be considered Science Subjects . True , I don’t hold chemistry or biology as I studied Humanities in my country ( philology) but this doesn’t mean that I cannot be offered a course onto this pathway . I hold a degree in business from bath spa , I hold a level 5 diploma in education and training ( Pearson ) and I have just completed my level 7 PGCE in further education. So honestly , I have read the requirements for my course chosen ( dietetics and nutrition ) and I thought that I am meeting everything ( work in care environment, DBS already hold and CPD in dietetics and nutrition)
It’s ridiculous to see that admissions does not carefully look into qualifications.
I don’t really mind to go on human nutrition ( year 0 ) but the problem is that is not an exception course exception is either dietetics simple or Bsc Dietetics and nutrition . I have called SFE and someone confirmed that human nutrition or health nutrition is not a funded course if you already hold another degree which is my case .
My Level 3 GCA it holds grades C/4 but only English , French , literature ( my own language ) geography and physical education . So I don’t hold maths , that’s why they offered me a conditional offer with maths test to be done but I don’t understand why not keeping me on Dietetics and nutrition as Geography or Physical education could be considered Science Subjects . True , I don’t hold chemistry or biology as I studied Humanities in my country ( philology) but this doesn’t mean that I cannot be offered a course onto this pathway . I hold a degree in business from bath spa , I hold a level 5 diploma in education and training ( Pearson ) and I have just completed my level 7 PGCE in further education. So honestly , I have read the requirements for my course chosen ( dietetics and nutrition ) and I thought that I am meeting everything ( work in care environment, DBS already hold and CPD in dietetics and nutrition)
It’s ridiculous to see that admissions does not carefully look into qualifications.

I have called SFE and someone confirmed that human nutrition or health nutrition is not a funded course if you already hold another degree which is my case
Yep, I'm not surprised by this. The SFE can be very specific about the courses they are willing to fund, and in your case they strictly only fund courses that would almost guarantee to lead to allied health professions that the NHS is in need of.

So I don’t hold maths , that’s why they offered me a conditional offer with maths test to be done but I don’t understand why not keeping me on Dietetics and nutrition as Geography or Physical education could be considered Science Subjects
The definition of "science subjects" is a pretty loose term and it's very much dependent on the specific course and university that administer it. I have seen subjects like economics and psychology be considered science subjects on some courses, but not so in others.
A strict definition of science subjects are the 3 sciences and the 2 maths at A Level. Anything else is subject to opinion.

I think the main sticking point is that you don't have a background in biology and chemistry, and the course that you intend to do is very heavy on those subjects. If you went in without the background knowledge, it's assumed that you would likely struggle (something I argue that's more down to the individual student than something you can generalise across the board).

I can recommend that you do a Level 3 Access course that includes at least 15 credits in biology and 15 credits in chemistry, but it would take about a year and can cost you £3500 (if you do the online courses, they generally cost £1000). I find this generally the cheaper option than doing a foundation year which can cost at least £9250 (in your situation).
London Met has mentioned something similar in the entry requirements for the dietics course:
"Science foundation and access courses will be considered with a minimum of 60 credits, 45 of which must be at Level 3:

15 credits at Level 3 must be in Biology or related subjects such as anatomy and physiology

15 credits at Level 3 must be in chemistry or related subjects such as biochemistry

15 credits at Level 3 should be in science related subjects (eg physics, maths) or subjects applied to science (eg nutrition, environmental science, psychology)

the remaining 15 credits should be in study skills

applicants should achieve a distinction or equivalent numerical mark in 75% of the credits taken in Science subjects at Level 3"

With the Access course, you would then be able to consider alternative degrees in dietics at most other English universities (I can't say it would be accepted in the Scottish, Irish, or Welsh universities though). If you already have a degree and the equivalent of a master's (your PGCE), then you should be more than OK with the Access course.
Reply 4
Thank you.
Reply 5
Thank you.

Hi just saw your post. I am a final-year dietetics student, and the course is heavily science-based. If you don't have a chemistry/biology background, it will be very hard for you to navigate the course, believe me. I recommend doing an access course or the human nutrition foundation year to get a solid base of biology and chemistry and then re-apply.

Quick Reply

Latest