The Student Room Group

Best Uni for Consulting/IB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Part A
Just a quick one, I know Lancaster pretty well and their business school has been climbing up the rankings over the last few years. I'd take Lancaster over Reading without a doubt.

Seconded
Reply 21
Lancaster over Reading any day.
Original post by FDR
Networking is without a doubt overrated. It is an American thing that people read about on sites such as WSO and M&I. It seems people think that if you go to an event and introduce yourself then when you apply, the recruiter will remember how amazing you are and simply give you an offer.

The best way to stand out is through the application forms that everyone has to fill in.

OP, disregard this users post completely. I've highlighted parts I find comical (for reasons I'll outline below), but in short - networking will open doors for you if you're doing it right. It might not get you an offer (then again, it might as you progress in your career) - but it'll certainly get you an interview or serious consideration.

FDR, this is an naive statement and indicates that you've never been in a position to utilize contacts. The old saying of 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' is more true in business than it is anywhere else.

Networking is one of the most valuable tools at one's disposal in the recruitment process, provided you do it right and your contacts are in a position of influence.

As mentioned - it may not get you an offer, and if you start networking thinking it will, you'll be sorely (and quickly) mistaken. But it will get you noticed. I.e. If a senior manager talks about his friend's son who's applying soon to the HR department and tells them to keep an eye out for Joe Blogs, then Joe Blogs has at least got an interview. Equally, if the HR manager's friend's daughter is applying, she'll more than likely get an interview. That's how life works - sadly.

To suggest his best chance of making it in to IB/consultancy/any other industry is to fill out an application form like everyone else in the hope that they like his more is quite comical. The girl with the father who plays golf with a senior manager will always be chosen above a bog standard applicant. Equally, the person who's emailed, shown an interest and maintained a good rapport with a manager will be spoken highly of - and that can go a long way.

I personally know people who have got manager positions, promotions, internships and interviews for companies Morgan Stanley, Citi, Boots and Reid Recruitment (there's more but those are the notable ones) all based on 'networking'. It's not overrated, and it's not an American gimmick that's to be ignored. I'm pretty confident that any top manager will echo this too.
Reply 23
Original post by pmc:producer
OP, disregard this users post completely. I've highlighted parts I find comical (for reasons I'll outline below), but in short - networking will open doors for you if you're doing it right. It might not get you an offer (then again, it might as you progress in your career) - but it'll certainly get you an interview or serious consideration.

FDR, this is an naive statement and indicates that you've never been in a position to utilize contacts. The old saying of 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' is more true in business than it is anywhere else.

Networking is one of the most valuable tools at one's disposal in the recruitment process, provided you do it right and your contacts are in a position of influence.

As mentioned - it may not get you an offer, and if you start networking thinking it will, you'll be sorely (and quickly) mistaken. But it will get you noticed. I.e. If a senior manager talks about his friend's son who's applying soon to the HR department and tells them to keep an eye out for Joe Blogs, then Joe Blogs has at least got an interview. Equally, if the HR manager's friend's daughter is applying, she'll more than likely get an interview. That's how life works - sadly.

To suggest his best chance of making it in to IB/consultancy/any other industry is to fill out an application form like everyone else in the hope that they like his more is quite comical. The girl with the father who plays golf with a senior manager will always be chosen above a bog standard applicant. Equally, the person who's emailed, shown an interest and maintained a good rapport with a manager will be spoken highly of - and that can go a long way.

I personally know people who have got manager positions, promotions, internships and interviews for companies Morgan Stanley, Citi, Boots and Reid Recruitment (there's more but those are the notable ones) all based on 'networking'. It's not overrated, and it's not an American gimmick that's to be ignored. I'm pretty confident that any top manager will echo this too.

I'm sorry, but you've entirely missed the point.

The examples you've given (which I've put in bold) are so much more different than some random 20 year old with no connections (i.e doesn't have a dad/daughter who's best mates with an MD at a bank) approaching someone at an event and making a good enough impression based on what will likely be under an hour of conversation.

Most of your examples are of people who are fortunate enough to already be connected. What is your suggestion for the majority of people who don't have parents who are connected? Find new parents?

You talk about how people have got promotions etc based on networking, and I don't disagree - once you're in the job I'd argue that networking does become more valuable, as the people you're networking with are likely to give you more of their time and attention, and view you more as an equal than one of the thousands of undergrads they'll meet at networking events.

If you're unconnected, as the majority of applicants are, that doesn't mean you don't have a chance - yes it means you have less of a chance - but you have to do the best given what you have. if you really are going to try and network, then find the time to speak to HR more than any senior managers. It's only once you're in doing an internship or grad role that networking with senior employees becomes more valuable.
Original post by FDR
I'm sorry, but you've entirely missed the point.

The examples you've given (which I've put in bold) are so much more different than some random 20 year old with no connections (i.e doesn't have a dad/daughter who's best mates with an MD at a bank) approaching someone at an event and making a good enough impression based on what will likely be under an hour of conversation.

Most of your examples are of people who are fortunate enough to already be connected. What is your suggestion for the majority of people who don't have parents who are connected? Find new parents?

You talk about how people have got promotions etc based on networking, and I don't disagree - once you're in the job I'd argue that networking does become more valuable, as the people you're networking with are likely to give you more of their time and attention, and view you more as an equal than one of the thousands of undergrads they'll meet at networking events.

If you're unconnected, as the majority of applicants are, that doesn't mean you don't have a chance - yes it means you have less of a chance - but you have to do the best given what you have. if you really are going to try and network, then find the time to speak to HR more than any senior managers. It's only once you're in doing an internship or grad role that networking with senior employees becomes more valuable.

You make a fair point that I mentioned a few examples of people with parents; that was to highlight the power of networking. So I'll respond to your 'what happens with people without connected parents?' below.

But first, I should point out that the promotions, internships, etc. That I spoke about are not from people who have 'connected parents' - they are from people who have networked correctly - A point I stressed to the OP when I said 'networking is powerful, if you do it right'.

Right now, I'm really close (to the point where I consider them friends, some of whom have helped me in the past) to a Finance Director in a top bank (with multiple side projects), the owner of a boutique MC/strategy firm, An ex-chartered accountant with connections in Canary Wharf (in another top bank), A trainer for a local Council and ex Divisional head for a top recruitment consultancy firm, a GM of a top 300 Boots flagship store and an HR director for arguable Britain's largest department stores.

I'm in fact the first person in my family to attend university - my parents are in no way 'connected'. I started out as a naive pup at one point and now I feel I have a strong base to tap in to when I graduate and start looking for career opportunities.

I've build that network a number of ways: the FD is someone I met at a works conference, hit it off big time, spend the rest of the weekend drinking beer and talking about football - the very next month he came up to stay with me while we spoke business (regarding my department at the time) - been in touch ever since, has offered me to Brazil for the world cup with him and his friends. Another woman is someone I used to work with who moved upwards and onwards, one of the nicest ladies you could meet - another, a manager I used to report to who helped me out with my graded unit and let me interview/investigate his new store for the purposes of my project, has offered me several opportunities in the past two years. The accountant is an ex tutor who still emails me regularly to see how I am/invites me for coffee. Blah Blah.

The point I'm making is; I didn't insinuate if he showed up at an open day or careers event and made a 'good impression' he'll be sorted - I said if he networked properly he would be sorted. And by properly I mean applying a bit of thinking, targeting the right people (from all walks of life, not just within your dream company) and most importantly, maintain relationships and give give give! It's not just your contact's influence you may gain, it could be their pool of resources/contacts too.

Apologies to the OP if he thinks I mean show up at fair and be the ideal candidate.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending