The Student Room Group

IBS...exams/uni how do u guyz cope

Gut issues run in my fam
Ive got really bad ibs
Been trying to fix it but nothing helps
I dont even go to uni or attend lectures etc i jus watch the recordings of the lectures n self teach
Idk what to do for my exams tho
I tend to manage it alright during my exams but its gotten worse since last year and idk what to do
I asked my uni they said they need a letter from my doc confirming it
What should i ask my doc i have really needed to rush to the toilet tho but incase i do i dont wanna fail my 2nd year jus bcz i didnt have the right support in place

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you been formally diagnosed with IBS?
Reply 2
It is as simple as asking for a letter confirming diagnosis. I have about 20 of the things because every time I see a doctor about other stuff they list your conditions on the page.
Which type of ibs do you suffer from ?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Which type of ibs do you suffer from ?

I have no clue.
I went to my doc about my symptoms like 4 years ago
She told me its ibs but that there is no cure for it
Ill just have to live w it and change my diet and manage my stress
I went back to my gp the other day and told them about all my problems and how hellish my life has become and i just got told to learn to manage my stress again n to grow up basically..
Original post by Miri6378d7xu
I have no clue.
I went back to my gp the other day and told them about all my problems and how hellish my life has become and i just got told to learn to manage my stress again n to grow up basically..

Sorry to hear you are suffering I'm no doctor but type c ibs is where you suffer from constipation and abdominal pain the majority of the time and ibs d is where you have mostly diarrhoea. There are different ways of managing both just depends what you are affected by ?
I was told I had IBS when I suffered on/off with intestinal issues all throughout my childhood and young adulthood. Strange diagnosis because they didn't exclude other conditions.

I went vegetarian in my early teens and that didn't seem to affect it. I then went vegan in my late 20's and my "IBS" has been gone ever since. The first month or so of being vegan I was still getting to grips with cutting out eggs and dairy so that was a little rocky, but after 4-6 weeks of being vegan, my digestion settled. No more bloating, no more cramps, no more crazy bowel movements. The only times I have had digestive issues is less than once a year when I end up getting food poisoning at a restaurant.

I strongly suspect I am lactose intolerant, something that was never even mentioned to me (maybe because I am white and from a culture that eats a lot of dairy).

I would recommend that you cut out ALL dairy. Give it 2-3 months of 100% cutting out dairy and see if that helps. Please find information on what dairy and its derivatives are called (whey protein is from milk, for instance). This should help: https://www.godairyfree.org/dairy-free-grocery-shopping-guide/dairy-ingredient-list-2

If a product has the 'Vegan' logo on it or states that it is suitable for vegans, it should be dairy free. If a product is vegetarian, it may contain milk because milk is part of a vegetarian diet.

All the best! Really, give it a go. These days there are great dairy alternatives made from plants. It's not nearly as hard to do now than it was when I went vegan, and even those days were much better than just the 5 years before that.
Reply 7
Sorry to hear you are suffering I'm no doctor but type c ibs is where you suffer from constipation and abdominal pain the majority of the time and ibs d is where you have mostly diarrhoea. There are different ways of managing both just depends what you are affected by ?

There's also mixed, where you can have d and c.
Reply 8
I have no clue.

You'll know from your toilet traits whether it's d, c or mixed.

What have you done about changing your diet? A GP suggested I try food combining, using the book The Harcombe Diet; he told me to ignore all the pseudo-science in the opening chapters and just follow the eating plans and recipes. It doesn't work for everyone, but 10 days was enough to massively alleviate my symptoms and it's still never been as bad as before.

Don't do FODMAP without proper guidance as you can miss out on nutrition by cutting out food groups.
(edited 6 months ago)
I agree you will know which type you have depending on your bowel habits, might be a good idea to keep a food diary so you know what foods agree with you and what doesn't so you can cut out the foods causing you problems .
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia
You'll know from your toilet gaits whether it's d, c or mixed.

What have you done about changing your diet? A GP suggested I try food combining, using the book The Harcombe Diet; he told me to ignore all the pseudo-science in the opening chapters and just follow the eating plans and recipes. It doesn't work for everyone, but 10 days was enough to massively alleviate my symptoms and it's still never been as bad as before.

Don't do FODMAP without proper guidance as you can miss out on nutrition by cutting out food groups.

Ohh i think its a mix of both but mainly d
Reply 11
I agree you will know which type you have depending on your bowel habits, might be a good idea to keep a food diary so you know what foods agree with you and what doesn't so you can cut out the foods causing you problems .

I didnt have breakfast today and was fine but i didnt eat anything when i came back home only had a few oranges and hopefully ill be fine tmrw as well because i have laboratory classes the whole day but im scared my energy levels would be too low. I had 4 oranges...ive done tht before n nearly collapsed but im scared like idk what else to do. I jus hate FOOD.
Does it not matter what you eat do all foods upset your stomach and cause diarrhoea ?
Reply 13
I absolutely sympathise with you and your uni situation. I've had IBS for years now, and it really makes a lot of everyday things uncomfortable.

I've had to treat myself and although trial-and-error isn't the best, I will say it makes a difference. Google the list of triggers and just alternate which ones you cut out to see what works. I did that and now, I'm on a gluten-free, non-dairy milk diet. I also don't try new meals unless I'm close to home incase I react badly and need to rush back. Since you're mostly home right now, it's a great time to try different diets and stick to the one that fits you best.

Please, keep trying your best to eat proper meals. Skipping is part of what got me hospitalised. I got so tired of the reactions that I just stopped eating meals. It's very unhealthy and not a proper way of managing this condition.
Reply 14
Original post by DarylO
I absolutely sympathise with you and your uni situation. I've had IBS for years now, and it really makes a lot of everyday things uncomfortable.

I've had to treat myself and although trial-and-error isn't the best, I will say it makes a difference. Google the list of triggers and just alternate which ones you cut out to see what works. I did that and now, I'm on a gluten-free, non-dairy milk diet. I also don't try new meals unless I'm close to home incase I react badly and need to rush back. Since you're mostly home right now, it's a great time to try different diets and stick to the one that fits you best.

Please, keep trying your best to eat proper meals. Skipping is part of what got me hospitalised. I got so tired of the reactions that I just stopped eating meals. It's very unhealthy and not a proper way of managing this condition.

Thank you 🫶🏻
Reply 15
Thank you 🫶🏻

You're welcome 😊. I hope you find something that works.
Reply 16
Original post by -AlphaOmega-
I was told I had IBS when I suffered on/off with intestinal issues all throughout my childhood and young adulthood. Strange diagnosis because they didn't exclude other conditions.

I went vegetarian in my early teens and that didn't seem to affect it. I then went vegan in my late 20's and my "IBS" has been gone ever since. The first month or so of being vegan I was still getting to grips with cutting out eggs and dairy so that was a little rocky, but after 4-6 weeks of being vegan, my digestion settled. No more bloating, no more cramps, no more crazy bowel movements. The only times I have had digestive issues is less than once a year when I end up getting food poisoning at a restaurant.

I strongly suspect I am lactose intolerant, something that was never even mentioned to me (maybe because I am white and from a culture that eats a lot of dairy).

I would recommend that you cut out ALL dairy. Give it 2-3 months of 100% cutting out dairy and see if that helps. Please find information on what dairy and its derivatives are called (whey protein is from milk, for instance). This should help: https://www.godairyfree.org/dairy-free-grocery-shopping-guide/dairy-ingredient-list-2

If a product has the 'Vegan' logo on it or states that it is suitable for vegans, it should be dairy free. If a product is vegetarian, it may contain milk because milk is part of a vegetarian diet.

All the best! Really, give it a go. These days there are great dairy alternatives made from plants. It's not nearly as hard to do now than it was when I went vegan, and even those days were much better than just the 5 years before that.

What would i eat tho
Like i got these vegan burger patties and even they dont seem to work
Apparently vegetables like broccoli etc should be avoidee as they also trigger ibs
So if i go vegan what options r left for me
What would i eat tho
Apparently vegetables like broccoli etc should be avoidee as they also trigger ibs

If I was really struggling with various kinds of foods, I would "build up" my diet starting with one or two types of foods that are nutritious and that you know (or can easily find out by trying them) you can easily digest. How about bananas and boiled rice, or boiled potatoes? Eat only these for a few days or couple of weeks until your digestion feels a lot better so you know these foods are fine for you. Then add one food at a time for a couple of days and see how you feel, then build up by adding more foods. But this will take ages to build up to the hundreds if not thousands of different foods and ingredients.

Alternatively you can go vegan and of course also exclude any vegan foods that you know you respond badly to. A friend of mine is vegetarian but gets an upset digestion when they eat anything with yeast, or gluten. So they cut those things out too.

There's so many foods you can probably eat, or most of which you can eat:
* bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles etc
* all fruits
* all vegetables
* all beans, pulses, legumes
* all nuts, nut butters, seeds
* soy products like tofu and tempeh
* plant milks like soy, rice, almond, oat, pea, cashew, hemp etc.

It's not easy to find out what works for you but if you are committed to improving your digestion, you'll have to commit to working in a systematic way to identify the foods that are no bueno for you. I had a friend with bad psoriasis. I think at some point he started looking at his diet but I don't think he was committed to spend the next 6 months on this if he had to. It's not fair, but you need to find a way to deal with this to get to the core of the problem. It might be some kind of food additive that is in a few thing that you regularly eat, that you may never figure out if you only occasionally eliminate a few 'well known' ingredients from your diet.
Reply 18
Original post by -AlphaOmega-
If I was really struggling with various kinds of foods, I would "build up" my diet starting with one or two types of foods that are nutritious and that you know (or can easily find out by trying them) you can easily digest. How about bananas and boiled rice, or boiled potatoes? Eat only these for a few days or couple of weeks until your digestion feels a lot better so you know these foods are fine for you. Then add one food at a time for a couple of days and see how you feel, then build up by adding more foods. But this will take ages to build up to the hundreds if not thousands of different foods and ingredients.

Alternatively you can go vegan and of course also exclude any vegan foods that you know you respond badly to. A friend of mine is vegetarian but gets an upset digestion when they eat anything with yeast, or gluten. So they cut those things out too.

There's so many foods you can probably eat, or most of which you can eat:
* bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles etc
* all fruits
* all vegetables
* all beans, pulses, legumes
* all nuts, nut butters, seeds
* soy products like tofu and tempeh
* plant milks like soy, rice, almond, oat, pea, cashew, hemp etc.

It's not easy to find out what works for you but if you are committed to improving your digestion, you'll have to commit to working in a systematic way to identify the foods that are no bueno for you. I had a friend with bad psoriasis. I think at some point he started looking at his diet but I don't think he was committed to spend the next 6 months on this if he had to. It's not fair, but you need to find a way to deal with this to get to the core of the problem. It might be some kind of food additive that is in a few thing that you regularly eat, that you may never figure out if you only occasionally eliminate a few 'well known' ingredients from your diet.

Thank you 🫶🏻😩
Reply 19
What would i eat tho

Read my post #9. I did the food-combining for 10 days and it massively improved my life.

IBS is different for everyone. I looked at FODMAP and I'm fine with some foods that are on the 'avoid' list; I can quite happily eat apples, onions, broccoli, beetroot, milk, cheese. It's how you consume the foods that could make a difference.

Don't just go cutting out entire food groups; see another doctor or a nutritionist.

Quick Reply

Latest