The Student Room Group

Economics at Leeds or York?

I know Leeds is higher in league tables but what university overall ( campus/ support/community as well as econ faculty) comes out on top. I'm not just looking at semi-target for IB, I want to factor in everything. Thanks.
Original post by WILLOWTREE98
I know Leeds is higher in league tables but what university overall ( campus/ support/community as well as econ faculty) comes out on top. I'm not just looking at semi-target for IB, I want to factor in everything. Thanks.

York has a stronger economics department regardless of what the rankings show, its syllabus is far more rigorous, though Leeds' does have some odd but interesting optional modules. So if you want to become an economist, then York is likely better. If you're not sure what you might want to do (e.g. banking, consulting, civil service, etc), then I'd say these unis have broadly similar career outcomes (tho York's more quantitative course might be more useful than Leeds') - will depend much more on you than the difference between these unis for economics.

With regards to other factors, Leeds supposedly has a better nightlife and social scene. Personally I prefer the unis' location to York. Am unsure on relative support/community feel as I didn't do my degrees at either.

FYI personally I wouldn't count either as a semi-target for IB anyway. And if they were, they would definitely be near the bottom of the semi-target lists (tho people overthink this sort of stuff so I wouldn't focus on it too much anyway).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BenRyan99
York has a stronger economics department regardless of what the rankings show, its syllabus is far more rigorous, though Leeds' does have some odd but interesting optional modules. So if you want to become an economist, then York is likely better. If you're not sure what you might want to do (e.g. banking, consulting, civil service, etc), then I'd say these unis have broadly similar career outcomes (tho York's more quantitative course might be more useful than Leeds') - will depend much more on you than the difference between these unis for economics.

With regards to other factors, Leeds supposedly has a better nightlife and social scene. Personally I prefer the unis' location to York. Am unsure on relative support/community feel as I didn't do my degrees at either.

FYI personally I wouldn't count either as a semi-target for IB anyway. And if they were, they would definitely be near the bottom of the semi-target lists (tho people overthink this sort of stuff so I wouldn't focus on it too much anyway).

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I was leaning towards York due to their syllabus anyway but I admit I was a little apprehensive due to rankings. It's nice to have someone else's pov. 🙂
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your detailed response. I was leaning towards York due to their syllabus anyway but I admit I was a little apprehensive due to rankings. It's nice to have someone else's pov. 🙂

York is ranked quite highly anyway but I would never treat rankings as if they were gospel. The complete university guide ranks Stirling, Strathclyde and Lancaster as better than York for economics and that simply isn’t true. The rankings can give you a general idea but don’t pay too much attention to them.

Hi!

If you have any questions at all about studying at York or what it's like to live here, just drop us a message! I'm a recent York grad so I know what it's like to live and study in York :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending