The Student Room Group

MoD apologises as RAF poster angers Bloody Sunday families

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by the mezzil
Reserves in all 3 services are recruiting in Northern Ireland.

Yeah but I actually looked on raf website before and there was no mention of it at all, didnt come up in results or anything lol.

I already knew about the other ones.
Original post by LukeM90
Yeah but I actually looked on raf website before and there was no mention of it at all, didnt come up in results or anything lol.

I already knew about the other ones.

Your best bet would be to ring up and ask, but I guarantee you the RAF reserves are recruiting in N.I and have been for a long time so don't worry
Reply 22
Your best bet would be to ring up and ask, but I guarantee you the RAF reserves are recruiting in N.I and have been for a long time so don't worry

ok cheers for the advice!
Reply 23
The Brandywell in Derry is a mainly Nationalist/Republican area and it's only a couple of minutes walk from where Bloody Sunday took place. I also understand that the RAF isn't the Parachute regiment that killed the innocent people on that day but they are still collectively the British Armed Forces, so it is completely ridiculus to say that it isn't offensive.
Reply 24
Bigger? You do realise the Army is getting smaller?

Plus we are talking about the RAF, not the Army.

in today's age, do not need to recruit men with guns too often, if you do not plan to colonise country that you are invading, drop many cluster bomb to make bad land for natives, salt it if you will.

also, cyberwarfare will dominate 21st century, why build you own nooks when you can hijack ur enemies?
Original post by locrian37
in today's age, do not need to recruit men with guns too often, if you do not plan to colonise country that you are invading, drop many cluster bomb to make bad land for natives, salt it if you will.

also, cyberwarfare will dominate 21st century, why build you own nooks when you can hijack ur enemies?

Well I can tell that you are certainly not a general then.
Reply 26
This is all because of the Troubles in Ireland.
Reply 27
Well I can tell that you are certainly not a general then.

No, I will be the emperor this new order, do not need competence of many generals when i can rule world.
Reply 28
So much ignorance on this thread. How many of you, apart from the guy from Belfast, know anything about Northern Ireland?

The RAF adevertised in a place they were never likely to get a positive response. This was a marketing f***-up. It shouldn't be any surprise that some Nationalists might be offended by this. The statement from the SDLP and the DUP is just political posturing. I'm far more concerned by the failure of the Haass talks.
Reply 29
Original post by pol pot noodles
I hate how seriously every now takes someone else being offended or having hurt feelings. I'm personally rather offended by Gerry Adam's smug terrorist face swanning about Northern Ireland all the time, I don't kick up a fuss about it though and I wouldn't demand anyone care if I did.

To quote Stephen Fry:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Stephen Fry works in entertainment. We're not talking about entertainment. We're talking about recruitment for armed forces in an area where a branch of said armed forces shot 14 civilians whose family and friends presumably still live there.

Can you see how Stephen Fry's philosophical musings on telling dirty jokes on the Beebs is irrelevant?
Reply 30
DK_Tipp thanks for your replies, my blood was boiling from them previous messages and i tried to explain best I could by not sounding like a 'bigot'. You hit the nail on the head, their is a lot of ignorance and ill informed people on what happened here in Ireland.
Original post by DK_Tipp
Stephen Fry works in entertainment. We're not talking about entertainment. We're talking about recruitment for armed forces in an area where a branch of said armed forces shot 14 civilians whose family and friends presumably still live there.

Can you see how Stephen Fry's philosophical musings on telling dirty jokes on the Beebs is irrelevant?

No, the underlying principle is very relevant. Just because someone is offended by something doesn't mean any action should be taken to remedy that. Our society has reached such a ludicrous level of political correctness that you can win compensation payouts for 'hurt feelings'. What we're ultimately talking about is the UK Armed Forces recruiting in an area of the UK. The poster was not offensive, it did not glorify Bloody Sunday, it didn't have a Para holding a smoking gun saying 'suck it'. I'm also pretty sure many catholics complain that British institutions don't recruit enough catholics, well no **** if this is the response any time they try.
Original post by Burgs13
DK_Tipp thanks for your replies, my blood was boiling from them previous messages and i tried to explain best I could by not sounding like a 'bigot'. You hit the nail on the head, their is a lot of ignorance and ill informed people on what happened here in Ireland.

Or, I simply have a different opinion to you. Why is it that unionist greivances are generally brushed off usally with a 'meh' and they are expected to get on with life, but nationalist greivances are apparently always legitmate and to question it is apparently ignorant? And yes I know there are a lot of legitmate nationalist greivances, but that doesn't change the fact that getting offended over an RAF recruitment poster is petty and silly.
Reply 33
No, the underlying principle is very relevant. Just because someone is offended by something doesn't mean any action should be taken to remedy that. Our society has reached such a ludicrous level of political correctness that you can win compensation payouts for 'hurt feelings'. What we're ultimately talking about is the UK Armed Forces recruiting in an area of the UK. The poster was not offensive, it did not glorify Bloody Sunday, it didn't have a Para holding a smoking gun saying 'suck it'. I'm also pretty sure many catholics complain that British institutions don't recruit enough catholics, well no **** if this is the response any time they try.

You really don't get Nationalist Derry do you? They view the British Army, RAF etc as an occupying force. So why would the RAF Reserve have recruited in an area where there is ill-feeling towards the British Forces? My guess is it was a mistake which has now been rectified.

Anybody who is anyway acquainted with the complexities of Northern Ireland will have known that, right or wrong, this was bound to have caused offense.
Reply 34
Or, I simply have a different opinion to you. Why is it that unionist greivances are generally brushed off usally with a 'meh' and they are expected to get on with life, but nationalist greivances are apparently always legitmate and to question it is apparently ignorant? And yes I know there are a lot of legitmate nationalist greivances, but that doesn't change the fact that getting offended over an RAF recruitment poster is petty and silly.

Unionists have legitimate grievances. Some of them are being dealt with. Some are not. There was a the Smithwich report recently in the Republic in to collusion between a Garda and the IRA in the murder of two RUC officers.

Unionism is cursed with poor leadership however. As well as that it's failed miserably as a political movement. Republican politicians always appear more savvy to me. Although I strongly dislike Gerry Adams.
(edited 10 years ago)
It was put up IN Derry

Because NI remains a unionist dominated society - unionists have been complaining that the Union Jack no longer flies 365 days a year on City Hall. How exactly isn't that petty and silly?
Original post by DK_Tipp
Unionists have legitimate grievances. Some of them are being dealt with. Some are not. There was a the Smithwich report recently in the Republic in to collusion between a Garda and the IRA in the murder of two RUC officers.

Unionism is cursed with poor leadership however. As well as that it's failed miserably as a political movement. Republican politicians always appear more savvy to me. Although I strongly dislike Gerry Adams.

Tbh - it's challenging to find any brain cells in any of the unionist parties.
Original post by DK_Tipp
So much ignorance on this thread. How many of you, apart from the guy from Belfast, know anything about Northern Ireland?

The RAF adevertised in a place they were never likely to get a positive response. This was a marketing f***-up. It shouldn't be any surprise that some Nationalists might be offended by this. The statement from the SDLP and the DUP is just political posturing. I'm far more concerned by the failure of the Haass talks.

This
Reply 39
Original post by That Bearded Man
Tbh - it's challenging to find any brain cells in any of the unionist parties.

They might start showing up in NI21 now. It'll be interesting to see how that goes. Shame Trevor Ringland is with the NI Tories. I always like him, he saw the potential for sport to be a uniting factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending