The Student Room Group

Joining infantry as an officer or squaddie

I am 17 years old and 1 year away from finishing A levels and i am predicted to get enough UCAS points to become an officer
however, I feel like I do not want the responsibility of being an officer at 18. My parents said I should join as an officer and are not very keen
on me joining as a squaddie, what should i do? I would rather join as a squaddie but parents are concerned.

any advice would be appreciated
Reply 1
The army will train you to do whatever job you are required to do - they do that well, but the training budgets have been severely curtailed in the last decade.

How well do you command the confidence of others? Are you a leader or a 'follower'? That matters.

If you give up easily or know you dislike being cold, wet, sleep deprived & miserable I wouldn't apply for either - it is always helpful to have a masochistic gene to survive the extremes of survival in an absolutely awful climate to join the infantry.

An officer has to function over and above the discomforts, never complain to the ranks or to the heirarchy and then get on with the task required (with a sense of humour?) On a plus you will be part of a unit family and your life depends on your mates. Lifetime friendships are made with the bonds of the shared experiences.

Accommodation can be very bad for all ranks. Its not like the Hilton!! As a squaddie you can expect to live in a dorm with rows of single beds with little or no privacy. You may get better accommodation as an officer (the same single bed with a private room if you are lucky) Eat, sleep, work together.

You decide how long you want to sign up for. Do make sure you are ultra fit before you join & can run many tens of miles with ease before you join to make the cardio pain less painful. The fitter you are the lesser the chance of injury (but no guarantees) Do not do any kind of drug, ever, or steroids etc even OTC drugs can fail you for some selection processes. You can wreck a good career by failing just by a single drugs test. You need to be honest, trustworthy and reliable for both ranks.

There are family benefits for schooling if you are an officer (how long these will last I don't know) but the rotations, relocations and deployment of both officers and squaddies are a big ask on your social & family life outside of the job.

When you leave the real world can seem brutal, and you can feel abandoned by the MOD - They are good at training you up to instinctively react and fight but not so good at detuning you and helping find your way in civvi street with a calm mindset.

The armed forces charities do a massive amount to help and support ex servicemen and women, you could do worse than chat with them too - these guys do far more than any politician or Government staff who are quick to take the glory but then shut their eyes and ears after the event to the long term financial support needs of injured or retired service personnel.

The important thing is to research as much as you can. Contact the military career lines and talk to the staff. Find your local TA and talk to them, find the cadet force for your school or college. Your career is your choice. When you make your decision it needs to be yours and not trying to please your Mum or Dad. You are the one who will have to live with it.

Never sell yourself short. Aim for the best you can at every stage. If you have given 200% and it doesn't work out, hold your head high. Then learn from your mistakes and try again, and then try again, and again. Never give up. But after all of that if it still doesn't work out find another career, a little older, wiser.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
MB, some wise words above. If I could open it out to a more general perspective, be assured that anyone who has served in the military (either commissioned or as an OR) will likely have had the same mindset and concerns as you at your age. However,who you are now, is not who you will be in 5/10/50 years time. That journey is called life, and it’s a road of discovery, adventure and learning and fulfilling your potential. But only if you make a few leaps of faith and sometimes step out of your comfort zone. In your case, only you know what you are like and what you are capable of in the future. It’s ok to have butterflies about unfamiliar and novel experiences, but with time you will discover you can do the difficult things which may make you feel uncomfortable at the time. You will also discover what your level is in life, but as a general rule I would always advise youngsters to reach for the stars, as you don’t want to hit retirement and have regrets about your career.

FWIW , I was the archetypal 9 stone weakling at 17 who wouldn’t say boo to a goose. But I really wanted to be an RAF fighter pilot and actually got selected for that at 18. Sadly I got found out at Officer school and was advised to leave and grow up. I could have easily retreated into my shell but instead regrouped and applied to the Met Police to learn about life (and death) in very quick time. Certainly did that, so when I reapplied to the RAF , I was accepted back, but as non commissioned aircrew . There followed 30+ years of fun, tears and professional satisfaction. I ended up at the top of my particular tree and met some amazing people and made lifelong friends along the way. I became very comfortable with instructing and leading and being a subject matter expert, briefing Royalty, Politicians and senior Officers. In the twilight of my current career, I use all the skills and confidence that I’ve gained in life to influence change at high levels across national organisations and Govt departments.

This isn’t to demonstrate how great I am, (I’m definitely not 🤣) but to encourage you to think beyond the next few months and years and imagine what you can achieve with a bit of personal inner strength and resilience .

Go for it buddy and very best of luck.

Ikky
Reply 3
Original post by Ikaruss
MB, some wise words above. If I could open it out to a more general perspective, be assured that anyone who has served in the military (either commissioned or as an OR) will likely have had the same mindset and concerns as you at your age. However,who you are now, is not who you will be in 5/10/50 years time. That journey is called life, and it’s a road of discovery, adventure and learning and fulfilling your potential. But only if you make a few leaps of faith and sometimes step out of your comfort zone. In your case, only you know what you are like and what you are capable of in the future. It’s ok to have butterflies about unfamiliar and novel experiences, but with time you will discover you can do the difficult things which may make you feel uncomfortable at the time. You will also discover what your level is in life, but as a general rule I would always advise youngsters to reach for the stars, as you don’t want to hit retirement and have regrets about your career.

FWIW , I was the archetypal 9 stone weakling at 17 who wouldn’t say boo to a goose. But I really wanted to be an RAF fighter pilot and actually got selected for that at 18. Sadly I got found out at Officer school and was advised to leave and grow up. I could have easily retreated into my shell but instead regrouped and applied to the Met Police to learn about life (and death) in very quick time. Certainly did that, so when I reapplied to the RAF , I was accepted back, but as non commissioned aircrew . There followed 30+ years of fun, tears and professional satisfaction. I ended up at the top of my particular tree and met some amazing people and made lifelong friends along the way. I became very comfortable with instructing and leading and being a subject matter expert, briefing Royalty, Politicians and senior Officers. In the twilight of my current career, I use all the skills and confidence that I’ve gained in life to influence change at high levels across national organisations and Govt departments.

This isn’t to demonstrate how great I am, (I’m definitely not 🤣) but to encourage you to think beyond the next few months and years and imagine what you can achieve with a bit of personal inner strength and resilience .

Ikky

Decided to go down the regular root thank you for everyone's advise.
Original post by Ikaruss

Ikky

Thank you for your service.
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
Thank you for your service.

Thanks Wired, you’re very kind. That phrase is an import from the States and actually makes a lot of military vets cringe, which is symptomatic of our own views and values and the reasons why we became public servants. No one in the military joins for public recognition but to serve the Monarch and the country and to uphold the values of our society and protect our way of life and those of our allies. It’s just as well that vets don’t expect recognition for their service as neither govt nor large corporations display any genuine gratitude (other than trumpeted tick box initiatives) . Most of the media certainly don’t respect the sacrifices that service personnel have made but are more than happy to headline any personal weaknesses and promote the idea of institutional bias and failures, as measured against the prevailing viewpoint.

So, yes, maybe if we did adopt the US attitude towards patriotism and rewarding service to your country through very visible and meaningful gestures and words , then perhaps we would regain some pride in our public servants and that would encourage recruitment and retention.

I ain’t holding my breath 🤣
Original post by Ikaruss
Thanks Wired, you’re very kind. That phrase is an import from the States and actually makes a lot of military vets cringe, which is symptomatic of our own views and values and the reasons why we became public servants. No one in the military joins for public recognition but to serve the Monarch and the country and to uphold the values of our society and protect our way of life and those of our allies. It’s just as well that vets don’t expect recognition for their service as neither govt nor large corporations display any genuine gratitude (other than trumpeted tick box initiatives) . Most of the media certainly don’t respect the sacrifices that service personnel have made but are more than happy to headline any personal weaknesses and promote the idea of institutional bias and failures, as measured against the prevailing viewpoint.

So, yes, maybe if we did adopt the US attitude towards patriotism and rewarding service to your country through very visible and meaningful gestures and words , then perhaps we would regain some pride in our public servants and that would encourage recruitment and retention.

I ain’t holding my breath 🤣

Yes, i know the phrase is an import but I think it is an important phrase.

I agree with you that public recognition and appreciation for military vets should be much more than it is at the moment. It is appalling to read and hear stories of improper levels of support and investment given to the military. I think the military should be ring-fenced like education and healthcare.

I hold an unpopular opinion but I think national service should be brought back. If young people get to interact directly or indirectly with the Armed Services, maybe more awareness and understanding could be brought to the Services

Quick Reply

Latest